T98 into 1948 F1 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

T98 into 1948 F1

Old 01-21-2019, 09:36 PM
4T8ford
New User
4T8ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
T98 into 1948 F1

Hello.
I am building a 1948 f1. I have a running flathead v8 and the matching T-98. I am thinking about putting it in my f1.
My question is, what kind of modifications would I be looking at, to make that transmission fit the f1 frame?

Old 01-22-2019, 05:12 AM
fish pond
Senior User
fish pond has a good reputation on FTE.fish pond has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a T98 going into a 51 M3(Mercury F3 kinda)as well, havnt started it yet, story kinda goes that you may need to mod the cross member it sits on. output shaft is higher than stk.
by what,1.5 inchs or so? which would change ur drive shaft angle ,plus sht metal trans cover wont fit without some bfh work..
thats the bad news, good news is, you can doit!,as others will be along to be more spasific with the mods needed.
I am still deciding how mine is going to be done.
a question that I ponder is, so what about drive shaft angle? will it blow up(drive shaft),will it wear out u joint sooner?
So i will be listening to what experience says to your questions as well.
Good luck,and welcome to my screen.
Greg

Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 PM
BlueOvalRage
Postmaster
BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.
The F-1 has a tall obstructive transmission crossmember that presents a challenge in swapping much of anything in without serious modifications. The F2-F3 trucks had a completely different crossmember that was much more open through the center and is more accommodating of swaps. The T-98 can be made to fit with an F2-F3 crossmember, but as fish pond mentioned, the rear of the T-98 will sit too high when mounted to one. The trucks that hosted a T-98 originally were all F4 and larger trucks. They had yet a 3rd type of crossmember for the transmission. It is similar to the F2-F3 crossmember in design, but it is lower through the center and taller at the sides to fit into the taller F4 and up frame rails. That crossmember will not fit a smaller truck.

Your best bet is to find an F2-F3 crossmember and swap it in in its entirety and then modify the straight center to allow the T-98 to sit lower into the proper position. If you go this route, you'll need the pedal assembly and a master cylinder for an F2-F3 truck also. Driveline angle is critical and the truck will vibrate badly if you don't have it pretty close. The bottom line is that there's no way that your going to stuff it in an F1 with chopping out the original crossmember. No way, no how.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:57 AM
fish pond
Senior User
That all makes cents B.O.R., so correct angle it is, when I bought this T98 I should have tried to get the cross member as well.,
another ?, what about mounting holes on this M3 ,are they gonna line up with the T98?
There is a member here that sawed his c.m. to suit, he posted a vid of driving his frame to a lake? he had nice pictures of his mods, I think he started with a F2 or F3?.
So back to the OP ,he needs a crossmember as well, a universal fit, aftermarket, home made of some sort, BUT, needs to note angle of original drive shaft before proceeding, correct?
any other cautions to note???
Greg

Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 AM
BlueOvalRage
Postmaster
BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm mostly working from memory here. Let me see if I can get a friend to post the exact details. He has actually performed the swap. I drove his one time, but it's been several years ago.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:14 AM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant future
Fish Pond, that was me who modified the CM to fit a T-98 and then drove the frame around to a lake as a test drive.
I found that the height difference was a little more than an inch, then trimmed down the stock CM that amount. Then I beefed up the stock CM by adding a second donor one underneath it, bolted in place.
I had a donor CM because I was swiping parts of it to modify a bracket for a power brake booster and dual reservoir master cylinder using the stock pedal configuration under the cab.

A T-98 swap is not difficult, but it has to be thought through carefully. You also have to make sure you get the proper U-Joint flange at the output shaft. It is different on the 59T crashbox.

You should also install a new carrier bearing and rubber center support where the two shafts come together.
Piece together the whole drive train away from the truck and map out every step and part you need - that is my recommendation. Good luck - the smoother shifting is worth it. Tom

Old 01-23-2019, 11:48 AM
jmadsen
Postmaster
jmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to behold
for an F-1 truck I would not hack it up for a 4 speed T98. I would sell the T98 and find a T-87 Heavy duty 3 speed or light duty 3 speed that came in these trucks originally. 3rd gear or 4th gear is still a 1:1 ratio so your not gaining anything by using a 4 speed other than a granny low (1st gear ) in the T98.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:40 AM
fish pond
Senior User
I agree with JM about the 3 sp. OP could sell T98 and buy a 3sp with that money, for a F1.
I had 50 F1 in the 70s that I refurbished(bought a rebuild flathead right from FoMoCo)
That 3sp was perfect in that truck. that was 45 yrs ago, wow...........
The T98s are in demand it seems, so are the 3 sps possible to find?
Greg

Old 01-24-2019, 08:03 AM
BlueOvalRage
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fish pond View Post
I agree with JM about the 3 sp. OP could sell T98 and buy a 3sp with that money, for a F1.
I had 50 F1 in the 70s that I refurbished(bought a rebuild flathead right from FoMoCo)
That 3sp was perfect in that truck. that was 45 yrs ago, wow...........
The T98s are in demand it seems, so are the 3 sps possible to find?
Greg
I've got a couple of them that I'd be willing to part with. Getting one to Washington from Indiana might be a trick, though. I'll be at the Grand National Reunion in Pigeon Forge in May and could haul it there if that helps at all.

Thanks for posting the details, Tom. I had forgotten that you'd done this swap also.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:56 AM
4T8ford
New User
4T8ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you everyone, for the replies and information.
I have also read about people using the T-5 on them as well. I have one of those in my 68 Mistang, and really like it.
Any thoughts on that?
And has anyone ever done that conversion?
Thanks again.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:37 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
The T5 from an S10 behind a flattie is a nice combo, and would require about the same crossmember work as putting that T98 in. The benefit , of course, is having overdrive. The caveat is it isn't as heavy duty as the T98, for towingand such.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.