Notices

Safely carrying extra diesel

Old 02-09-2019, 07:09 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Check the rules on toll roads, many do not allow fuel in containers . Some tunnels do not allow propane tanks

Old 02-10-2019, 08:58 AM
Larrymac52
Elder User
Larrymac52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How long can diesel remain stored in a 5 gallon can without losing quality? Is there a diesel additive like Stabil is for gas that can prolong storage?

Old 02-10-2019, 09:06 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Yes on diesel version of stabil

i have had some stored from 6 months to a year for generators and while I do rotate it out you need stabil, anti gell, anti fungicide, etc.

the fungus will shoul up as black moss looking stuff .

water absorption is a problem...meaning the containers if they have air in them will suck in cool moist air and over time it forms droplets at the bottom of the container.

so basically, the last few ounces is the trash

Old 02-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Larrymac52
Elder User
Larrymac52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
Yes on diesel version of stabil

i have had some stored from 6 months to a year for generators and while I do rotate it out you need stabil, anti gell, anti fungicide, etc.

the fungus will shoul up as black moss looking stuff .

water absorption is a problem...meaning the containers if they have air in them will suck in cool moist air and over time it forms droplets at the bottom of the container.

so basically, the last few ounces is the trash

ok thanks. I would rotate in probably within 3-4 months at the most. I put the Ford cetane booster in all my diesel anyway. Would that be enough for the stored diesel, or do I need to add the diesel Stabil as well?

Old 02-10-2019, 09:27 AM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Larrymac52 View Post
How long can diesel remain stored in a 5 gallon can without losing quality? Is there a diesel additive like Stabil is for gas that can prolong storage?
6 months to 12 months for ULSD. I store diesel in the garage in airtight jerry cans and do my best to use the stored fuel before the switch between winter and summer fuel blends. That reminds me I have some summer fuel that needs to be rotated out and filled with fresh winter fuel.

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-co...age-diesel.pdf

Old 02-10-2019, 09:30 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Read the label onthe certain booster

opti lube seasonal has everything you would need different blend per season

i dought that the one offs will be as comptehensive

if you use the standard yellow containers for diesel, you can actually see the gel, mold, water at the bottom and basically? Just pour slowly and donít use the last few ounces

ii keep mine 50ft from the house in a metal locket so it settles pretty good. Wonít setlle if you store it in the back of your truck

Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dirthawg View Post
6 months to 12 months for ULSD. I store diesel in the garage in airtight jerry cans and do my best to use the stored fuel before the switch between winter and summer fuel blends. That reminds me I have some summer fuel that needs to be rotated out and filled with fresh winter fuel.

excellent link...very infotmative and consistent with my experiences

Old 02-10-2019, 09:43 AM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
The article is a bit dated and most likely doesn't account for ULSD fuel or Biodiesel. A quick google search didn't turn up a lot on long term storage of ULSD.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...-storage-tanks

Old 02-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by dirthawg View Post

I think the 6 to 12 months referred to is at the consumer level i.e. in your trucks fuel tank, exposed to (some) oxygen, at least some potential water contamination, high temps etc. 5 to 10 years (stored properly) is referenced in the same document.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:46 PM
Edd505
Junior User
Edd505 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Edd505 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

80 gal tank pumps wired to upfitter switch in dash

Old 02-12-2019, 04:27 PM
BSHGTO
New User
BSHGTO is starting off with a positive reputation.
no cans

Cans are more trouble than they`re worth when traveling with heavy 5th wheels. They are for your lawn mower. Always in the way, worry about staying up right even with a strap, have to stop and pour it in then you have to keep it off you and your hands or your wife won`t let you back in the truck. Not for any real distance so you have to stop anyway cause your worried about running out again after 50 miles. Go spent 250.00 and get a 40- 50 gallon transfer tank from the farm store and put in a gravity fill to your fill spout. Switch it on with one of the cheap 12volt valves using a upfitter switch or one from auto store. No more worries when traveling, no mess,stop when you feel like it. Fill up at cheaper fuel stations, you will actually pay for the tank in 2 years of savings. I did in one year, best savings was $37.oo on one fill when I filled up my 48 gallon stock tank from mostly empty and filled up my 38 gallon transfer tank from empty out of my area. 2 Good Jerry cans will cost you 80.00 to 100.00 dollars anyway. That`s right you will spill diesel on you. Next thing you do is get the "Gas Buddy" free APP and scan for the cheapest station on your route to fill both tanks up. Like I said you will pay for the whole set up in no time at all.

Last edited by BSHGTO; 02-12-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-12-2019, 04:40 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
Cans are more trouble than they`re worth when traveling with heavy 5th wheels. They are for your lawn mower. Always in the way, worry about staying up right even with a strap, have to stop and pour it in then you have to keep it off you and your hands or your wife won`t let you back in the truck. Not for any real distance so you have to stop anyway cause your worried about running out again after 50 miles. Go spent 250.00 and get a 40- 50 gallon transfer tank from the farm store and put in a gravity fill to you fill spout. Switch it on with one of the cheap 12volt valves using a upfitter switch or one from auto store. No more worries when traveling, no mess,stop when you feel like it. Fill up at cheaper fuel stations, you will actually pay for the tank in 2 years of savings. I did in one year, best savings was $37.oo on one fill when I filled up my 48 gallon stock tank from mostly empty and filled up my 38 gallon transfer tank from empty out of my area. 2 Good Jerry cans will cost you 80.00 to 100.00 dollars anyway. That`s right you will spill diesel on you. Next thing you do is get the "Gas Buddy" free APP and scan fro the cheapest station on your route to fill both tanks up. Like I said you will pay for the whole set up in no time at all.
All depends on how you use your truck. I use my truck to haul with during the week and pull a travel trailer on the weekends. A transfer tank taking up a third of the bed would prevent me from working the truck during the week.

I use a siphon hose to fill the tank from the Jerry cans, haven't spilled a drop of diesel yet. A good quality Jerry can and spout will not leak but it does get heavy holding it while filling.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:19 AM
BSHGTO
New User
and off to the races

I don`t know what truck you drive but in my truck tank fits below the side rails and is 7 inches wide and is wide as the bed so 1/3 of usable space? Siphon hose ? I`d rather drink coffee in the morning. Really like I said your looking for fuel after driving 50 miles with cans. So what do you do when it`s pouring rain on I95 and you need/worried you need fuel, umbrella -siphon hose, sorry I`ll take a pass on that scenario. You could even install a larger stock style tank and avoid the in bed tank, but cans, nah.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:51 AM
dirthawg
Elder User
I suppose 7" wide wouldn't be to bad. I've never seen a tank that narrow, the ones I see are the size of a bed rail toolbox. Do you have a link to your tank?

I get 10mpg towing which results in a 200 mile range with the stock tank, so I bring along 2 - 5 gallon jerry cans 10x10=100 miles. I never have an issue finding a fuel station on the interstate or between towns. I bring along fuel so I don't have to fill up at a little mom and pop store out in the woods off the beaten path. If the cans are needed I'm at the campsite and need the fuel to get back to the nearest large diesel fueling station.

A Shaker Siphon doesn't require drinking the fluid being transferred.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:02 AM
BSHGTO
New User
and off to the races

any farm store, or on line multiple places, you have a nice day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.