2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Adding FordPass / Wifi to 2018

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 08:39 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Anybody know if there's a Canadian equivalent? So far everything I've found on Smartlink only references US sources.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:27 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaadk
Anybody know if there's a Canadian equivalent? So far everything I've found on Smartlink only references US sources.
Sorry.....US only for now.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:34 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Originally Posted by GABAR
Sorry.....US only for now.
Shoot. Well, here's hoping it crosses the border soon. We do have FordPass here, just not the SmartLink, so it should come eventually.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:22 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaadk
Shoot. Well, here's hoping it crosses the border soon. We do have FordPass here, just not the SmartLink, so it should come eventually.
I agree and the only reason I can see that Ford does not offer it in Canada is because SmartLink will only work via a US based cell provider and in this case it`s Verizon. From a business point of view, it really would be very profitable to have another SmartLink device and another cell provider contract for such a small market compared to the US. Here, the SmartLink cost close to $400.00 dollars so just imagine the cost for Canadians plus the cell service.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:43 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Originally Posted by GABAR
I agree and the only reason I can see that Ford does not offer it in Canada is because SmartLink will only work via a US based cell provider and in this case it`s Verizon. From a business point of view, it really would be very profitable to have another SmartLink device and another cell provider contract for such a small market compared to the US. Here, the SmartLink cost close to $400.00 dollars so just imagine the cost for Canadians plus the cell service.
Our networks our compatible, so they wouldn't need a different device. Verizon uses CDMA, same as Bell and Telus here so there should be 2 carriers that could support the US based device. They would just need to work out the carrier contracts.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM
Gazoo2010
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sc954rr
I have an appointment for 1/29 to have this installed on my truck at a dealer in NJ and they knew exactly what I was talking about when I called them, had the modules in stock as well. Your best bet is to call fordpass customer service 844-589-0059 and choose option 1, speak to an operator directly and they were able to look up a local/close dealer that is certified to do this install. Most of the dealers I would call had no idea what I was talking about or give the I heard something about this but we do not do that. I am glad to hear that it works great from fellow members that have had this installed on an existing superduty with no issues.
Let us know how the install goes.

~S

Old 01-24-2019, 08:28 PM
shorton
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2018 King Ranch with the ford shock sensor installed. I'm interested to know from anyone who has installed smartlink if they really get security alarm notifications on their phone?

Old 01-24-2019, 10:10 PM
adamsfbay
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by shorton
I have a 2018 King Ranch with the ford shock sensor installed. I'm interested to know from anyone who has installed smartlink if they really get security alarm notifications on their phone?
I do. You can set the g threshold (I set it to 0.04). Get text alerts almost instantaneously when someone touches the truck or a car gets right up next to it.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:17 AM
Msu50000
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Had the SmartLink module installed yesterday. Of course I was the guinea pig for the dealership so it took a couple of hours. Everything works as expected. They charged me for an hour of labor, more than I originally wanted to spend but I like it. I'll use it a lot.
P/N: VHL3Z14A411 Jumper Wiring $40.00
P/N: VHL3Z14F642A Module $345.00

Old 02-02-2019, 04:02 PM
Gazoo2010
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sc954rr
I have an appointment for 1/29 to have this installed on my truck at a dealer in NJ and they knew exactly what I was talking about when I called them, had the modules in stock as well. Your best bet is to call fordpass customer service 844-589-0059 and choose option 1, speak to an operator directly and they were able to look up a local/close dealer that is certified to do this install. Most of the dealers I would call had no idea what I was talking about or give the I heard something about this but we do not do that. I am glad to hear that it works great from fellow members that have had this installed on an existing superduty with no issues.
How did the install go?

Old 03-18-2019, 08:13 PM
shorton
New User
I'm a bit disappointed in Ford. I had smartlink installed on my 2018 F350 King Ranch two weeks ago. We were unable to make the motion detection go off after the install, but I took the truck anyway. I have been asking questions of the local dealerships for months, ever since someone tried to steal my truck last year. I had the dealership open a ticket with Ford Smartlink Support after the install, and I had to call them 3 times to get someone who could explain to me what was going on. I used the Ford Pass app to set thresholds for speed alert and other notifications. On the highway, when I exceed the speed threshold, it would text my phone immediately (note that you have a choice between it sending text to your cell phone or sending an email). But, I couldn't figure out why the motion notification would not notify me. Today I spoke to a gentleman at Ford. The threshold on the motion notification had been set to 1.5 by default. He set it to 0.05 and I was able to set off the alarm by having the window rolled down, and truck off and locked. I was relieved, but then I got a surprise. The Ford man told me that the motion sensor was NOT the OEM shock sensor that I had added to the truck; instead the motion notification comes from a shock sensor inside the SmartLink module. And that to set off that sensor, I would need to shake the truck or cause a force that it could receive. I guess this is ok, but this wasn't what was described to me, and I've not seen this information anywhere else. I briefly considered returning the unit and getting a Verizon Hum, but when I read about Hum, it doesn't have the shock sensor inside (that I can tell from their online documentation). I also re-read about Ford Perimeter Plus, but it doesn't seem to provide integration between the truck alarm system and my cell phone either. Is this the best I can get?? I don't feel that Ford did a good job of describing this product before I bought it. But, I guess it kinda does what I want now--which is to notify my phone if someone breaks into my truck. However, the truck alarm could be going off, and if the thief was really gentle about it, I also guess that my phone notification would not go off. Anyone else already realized this??
best,
shorton

Old 03-18-2019, 10:13 PM
adamsfbay
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by shorton
I'm a bit disappointed in Ford. I had smartlink installed on my 2018 F350 King Ranch two weeks ago. We were unable to make the motion detection go off after the install, but I took the truck anyway. I have been asking questions of the local dealerships for months, ever since someone tried to steal my truck last year. I had the dealership open a ticket with Ford Smartlink Support after the install, and I had to call them 3 times to get someone who could explain to me what was going on. I used the Ford Pass app to set thresholds for speed alert and other notifications. On the highway, when I exceed the speed threshold, it would text my phone immediately (note that you have a choice between it sending text to your cell phone or sending an email). But, I couldn't figure out why the motion notification would not notify me. Today I spoke to a gentleman at Ford. The threshold on the motion notification had been set to 1.5 by default. He set it to 0.05 and I was able to set off the alarm by having the window rolled down, and truck off and locked. I was relieved, but then I got a surprise. The Ford man told me that the motion sensor was NOT the OEM shock sensor that I had added to the truck; instead the motion notification comes from a shock sensor inside the SmartLink module. And that to set off that sensor, I would need to shake the truck or cause a force that it could receive. I guess this is ok, but this wasn't what was described to me, and I've not seen this information anywhere else. I briefly considered returning the unit and getting a Verizon Hum, but when I read about Hum, it doesn't have the shock sensor inside (that I can tell from their online documentation). I also re-read about Ford Perimeter Plus, but it doesn't seem to provide integration between the truck alarm system and my cell phone either. Is this the best I can get?? I don't feel that Ford did a good job of describing this product before I bought it. But, I guess it kinda does what I want now--which is to notify my phone if someone breaks into my truck. However, the truck alarm could be going off, and if the thief was really gentle about it, I also guess that my phone notification would not go off. Anyone else already realized this??
best,
shorton
I set the threshold to 0.04. There is no way someone could break into your truck without the text alert triggering.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM
Davparks2
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick Question. I have read that the Ford Pass Smart link service has a monthly fee from ford on top of whatever it cost to add to your Verizon account for the data. Is this true does ford charge a monthly fee for using the service? If so how much is that.

Thank you,

Old 03-19-2019, 10:42 AM
Msu50000
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No fee for the first two or three years I was told. After that it depends on Ford and what they are going to support going forward...

Old 04-19-2019, 08:46 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well smartlink is now discontinued I was thinlking about getting one for my '17. I hat how ford does this. Change things and just ignore the older models. Our 15 fuison had the modem bulit in with ford pass. Now it doesn't work, instead of giving owners a chance to upgrade the modem they just turned them off and said hell with it.