Fuel gel doesn’t make sense.... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Fuel gel doesn’t make sense....

Old 01-21-2019, 12:16 PM
jayro88
Posting Guru
jayro88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fuel gel doesn’t make sense....

So we had a cold front coming through yesterday and today. Temps getting down to -15*. In preparation for winter I had replaces my fuel filter and a day or 2 prior to the cold temps I put in a double dose of PS Winter Formula (white bottle) as that is what the instructions say for temps under 0*.

I was plugged in, the van started up and idled just fine. I left for work and all seemed normal. Then about 10-15 minutes in I noticed a little surging, a sign of fuel flow issues. Sure enough a few minutes later my fuel filter light comes on and the van sputters and dies.

I let the e-pump run for a while but was still only getting a slight flow of fuel from the shrader valve on the fuel filter head.

So does it sound like I needed more anti gel additive or maybe is it that there was actually water in the fuel that froze?

Just a little perplexed because I thought I took all the right preventive steps. I did remove the fuel heater from the fuel filter head a number of years ago, but I have had these types of temps before with no issues.

What are your thoughts and advice.

Thanks

Old 01-21-2019, 01:29 PM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
In my diesel equipment, I use the red bottle (911) of Power Service for potential freezing conditions. I use the white bottle Power Service year ‘round for Centane boost.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:35 PM
jayro88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by seville009 View Post
In my diesel equipment, I use the red bottle (911) of Power Service for potential freezing conditions. I use the white bottle Power Service year ‘round for Centane boost.
Interesting. I had been using the gray bottle during non-freezing conditions and the white bottle in the winter.

I thought I read something about not using the Red Bottle on a continual basis.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:53 PM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jayro88 View Post
Interesting. I had been using the gray bottle during non-freezing conditions and the white bottle in the winter.

I thought I read something about not using the Red Bottle on a continual basis.

i don’t use the red bottle on a continual basis; just if it’s going to be abnormally cold (like below zero) and I think it might gell the fuel in my filters. Then I’ll dump a bottle in the tank.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:14 PM
RaymondIV
Senior User
RaymondIV is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've used Power Service for years but I've never put it to a real test. Looks like you did. My pickup is no longer a DD so it generally has non-winterized fuel in it going into the winter. About the coldest I've used it is about 28°-30° above with PS added so I don't consider that a endorsement or real test of PS. Always wondered just how effective it is at severe cold temps. When I DID use it during the coldest of winter I already had winterized fuel but I'd add PS "just in case".

Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 PM
jayro88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RaymondIV View Post
I've used Power Service for years but I've never put it to a real test. Looks like you did. My pickup is no longer a DD so it generally has non-winterized fuel in it going into the winter. About the coldest I've used it is about 28°-30° above with PS added so I don't consider that a endorsement or real test of PS. Always wondered just how effective it is at severe cold temps. When I DID use it during the coldest of winter I already had winterized fuel but I'd add PS "just in case".
Thanks for the insight. I have been DD mine for the past 125k miles. I have alwaysed used PS simply because of the availability and cost. Always seems to work well for the most part. I have had this situation happen 2 times in the 125k and they were both when temps were in the -15 to -25* F range. I wonder if I should do a triple dose instead of a double at those temps.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i always use a lot more than what they say to use.
on the plow trucks, they get one quart per full tank of fuel. they say one quart will treat 100 gallons of fuel. i don't care, i would rather pour $5 in the tank than pay $300 to get towed off the road.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:18 AM
RaymondIV
Senior User
Originally Posted by jayro88 View Post

Thanks for the insight. I have been DD mine for the past 125k miles. I have alwaysed used PS simply because of the availability and cost. Always seems to work well for the most part. I have had this situation happen 2 times in the 125k and they were both when temps were in the -15 to -25* F range. I wonder if I should do a triple dose instead of a double at those temps.
You're welcome, sorry I'm not more help. If you live in that cold of climate don't all the stations switch to winterized diesel once winter gets going?.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:26 AM
jayro88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
i always use a lot more than what they say to use.
on the plow trucks, they get one quart per full tank of fuel. they say one quart will treat 100 gallons of fuel. i don't care, i would rather pour $5 in the tank than pay $300 to get towed off the road.
This is what I am planning on doing. They say a double dose, so I will do a triple or maybe more.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 AM
jayro88
Posting Guru
You're welcome, sorry I'm not more help. If you live in that cold of climate don't all the stations switch to winterized diesel once winter gets going?.
Yes, they are supposed to. For the most part the fuel does pretty good with the temps, but it still needs to be treated when it is getting really cold.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:28 AM
RaymondIV
Senior User
Might depend on the stations in different areas maybe too. I was in a small town temporarily years ago and there was a big USFS facility there and the station that had their fuel account said USFS demanded winterized at that time and it was only October. I've got a piece of heavy equipment I use for snow removal and I got referred to 3 different people before someone could verify that a local station's red (off road) fuel was winterized and that was in January.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:11 AM
jayro88
Posting Guru
Well, we are in for another really cold spell. -20*. I put a bunch of Howes in the tanks and will refill today. Said 1oz per 2.5 gallons. Rear tank is 22 gallons, so 9oz. I put in 20oz......there was still 1/4 tank of already treated fuel left in the tank too. So I am thinking I should be okay. Probably put some Diesel 911 in too just in case. Might be over kill...........

Interesting, Howes had 2 sets of instructions. Basically said the same thing as the PS White bottle.....double dose it if temps are going to be below 0*. But then it said that if you are using it in a pickup truck or car to always double dose it. Makes me wonder if the PS instructions were not meant for pickups/cars and that the below 0* double dose instructions is the normal for my application and I should add more for the really cold temps.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:48 AM
RaymondIV
Senior User
You must live in an odd area as far as winter fuel goes. We've got semi's, and other big diesels up the wahzoo running around on nothing but winterized fuel with no gelling problems and never needing additives. And 10° below zero is not that unusual.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:51 PM
jayro88
Posting Guru
You must live in an odd area as far as winter fuel goes. We've got semi's, and other big diesels up the wahzoo running around on nothing but winterized fuel with no gelling problems and never needing additives. And 10° below zero is not that unusual.
Maybe. It makes me wonder if different regions get different levels/mixes of winter fuel. Perhaps we are right on the colder edge of needing a different mix. In the 125K that I have been DD my van I have had gelling issues 3 times. 2 out of the 3 have been when the temps were in the -15* to -20* range. Both time the van started up and ran fine once the temps got up to about the 0* mark. These tempts aren't normal winter temps for us, but will occur maybe 1 or 2 times a winter for a couple of days at a time. The only other time I had it happen was on a road trip south to pick some stuff up in the early spring. I drove about 7 hours south and refueled before heading north again. The only fuel they had was b20. It froze for a day or 2 after I got back and the b20 gelled on me.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:10 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i try to avoid fuel gelling in winter by only buying at large volume stations, and even then i will start adding antigel mid november or so, and run it till mid march..
i just don't see the sense in taking a chance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.