Dana 70U hub bearing nut torque - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dana 70U hub bearing nut torque

Old 01-20-2019, 06:24 PM
drumfield
Senior User
drumfield has a good reputation on FTE.drumfield has a good reputation on FTE.drumfield has a good reputation on FTE.
Question Dana 70U hub bearing nut torque

Been away for awhile due to work. Got back, and have to change rear brake shoes, so I can get it inspected. My problem is, my "books" are 3 hours away, lost in a storage locker. Can anyone tell me what the torque is for this bearing nut? '85 F250.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:52 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
the book says torque it 120-140 ft lbs, and then back it off 1/8-3/8 turn. I have never messed with this setup, but it must have a locking tab or something to lock the nut once you back it off?

Old 01-20-2019, 10:48 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
the book says torque it 120-140 ft lbs, and then back it off 1/8-3/8 turn. I have never messed with this setup, but it must have a locking tab or something to lock the nut once you back it off?
Are you sure that it is FOOT POUNDS and not INCH POUNDS?
Or am I thinking of the wrong part? Hub bearing I am thinking wheel bearing?
If so that I think is a lot of foot pounds on a wheel bearing.
Dave ----

Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
Are you sure that it is FOOT POUNDS and not INCH POUNDS?
Or am I thinking of the wrong part? Hub bearing I am thinking wheel bearing?
If so that I think is a lot of foot pounds on a wheel bearing.
Dave ----
That is foot pounds. They are using that high number to seat the bearings and then they are backing it off. If you back it off 1/8 turn you are losing most of that high poundage. They tell you to do the same thing for the front wheel bearings. Tighten them up and then back the nut off till the cotter key lines up. The bearings and nut in the rear on a f250 are a lot bigger than on the front spindles.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM
drumfield
Senior User
drumfield has a good reputation on FTE.drumfield has a good reputation on FTE.drumfield has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate it. I knew it was high, but I have CRS, so I was lost on an exact number. Btw, system says I have to "spread the love" before I can rep you.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:56 PM
drumfield
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
Yes it does. It has a funny looking 'wedge' that is driven in to lock the nut in place. See pictures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.