Dually towing with 3:73 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Dually towing with 3:73

Old 01-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Watsy
New User
Watsy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dually towing with 3:73

Hi all, looking for opinions regarding towing 15,000lbs with 2015/16 dually 6.7 and 3:73 diffs.
We thought we needed a dually with the Dana Super 60 front axel (for much better turning) but don't think we want the 4:30's that that option comes with.
Seems there are more choices of used trucks with 3:73's
We don't want wore our tranny and diffs after a few years of towing with the 3:73 but sure would like the mileage benefit and not scared to lock out 6th and adjust speed to keep rpm in sweet spot while on vacations.
Thoughts??
Cheers

Old 01-20-2019, 06:05 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
I ordered the truck with the 3.73's. I have not had any problems pulling my 5th wheel in the Rocky Mtns. My truck is also 5 years old with 43,000 miles and to this date, no trans or diff problems nor overheating of the engine or trans.

Buy it and you will never know it didn't have other gears or need them. The 6.7 is a beast.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:39 PM
RigCity
Senior User
RigCity is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like the front axle for tight turning is worth it one of the rigs in the fleet is a 450 western hauler 6.4 the wide track axle has be driving it like a compact car and backing down is easy especially on the ocasiůn itís a 1/2 mile on the side of a mountain in reverse. I say you donít need it till you need it! Also have a 7.3 with the 3.73 it will pull just not as fast that truck*has 4 gears and wide turning radius.*The*450 has a 4.88 ratio with*the extra gears and high redline I would never consider going below 4.88 on the 450 especially when itís time to drop the hammer with the help of the tuner on an unsuspecting sports car trying to not let me in lol. I would recommend the wide track front axle because you donít need it till ya need it! And the RPM increase is not a lot when refrenced against the max rpm but Iím sure both options would work.*

Old 01-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RigCity View Post
Sounds like the front axle for tight turning is worth it one of the rigs in the fleet is a 450 western hauler 6.4 the wide track axle has be driving it like a compact car and backing down is easy especially on the ocasiůn itís a 1/2 mile on the side of a mountain in reverse. I say you donít need it till you need it! Also have a 7.3 with the 3.73 it will pull just not as fast that truck*has 4 gears and wide turning radius.*The*450 has a 4.88 ratio with*the extra gears and high redline I would never consider going below 4.88 on the 450 especially when itís time to drop the hammer with the help of the tuner on an unsuspecting sports car trying to not let me in lol. I would recommend the wide track front axle because you donít need it till ya need it! And the RPM increase is not a lot when refrenced against the max rpm but Iím sure both options would work.*
Itís apples to oranges but on my 7.3L but I saw only 200 rpm increase going from 3.73 to 4.10ís. *Regarding mpg the truck is a tow rig Iím not concerned with the slight loss in mpg it was built to tow as efficiently as possible.*

Old 01-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Batman7777
Senior User
Batman7777 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've had 3.73 and now have 4.30. Better economy with the 3.73 but more power with the 4.30. Just like your 10 speed bike, lower gears get better performance, but you sacrifice power. Higher gears get more power, but you sacrifice economy.

Too bad they don't have two speed diffs in Super Duties... Just like trying to climb a hill with your 10 speed bicycle in 10th gear (3.73) -vs- 5th (4.30).

MPG loss going from 3.73 to 4.30 is minimal.. at about 1mpg

Old 01-21-2019, 02:17 PM
The Bone
Elder User
The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a F250 6.7 srw with 3.31 and I have been coast to coast with my 13,000# 34' 5er without issue. I see no reason to be consented.
I have been over so many mountain passes that truck never missed a beat. I could go as fast as I wanted. No overheating problems. Like Larry said truck is a beast.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Watsy
New User
Watsy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well...that's comforting news from y'all. Seems we would have no worries towing with the 3:73 so that makes it easy to find a good used 350 dually but...
We just need to decide if we want to buy our last tow vehicle and not have the great turning radius of the Super 60.
I am leaning towards wanting that turning radius...dang!!
Looks like we still look for that elusive 350 with the Super 60
Why can't this be easy..??
Are there any other used sites other than Auto Trader and Car Gurus?
Thanks for the input all.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:13 AM
The Bone
Elder User
The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.
You are buying a truck that is as long as a bus. LOL The turning radius in my truck is surprising. I have a 4x4 and my truck is easy to maneuver.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:52 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Watsy View Post
Well...that's comforting news from y'all. Seems we would have no worries towing with the 3:73 so that makes it easy to find a good used 350 dually but...
We just need to decide if we want to buy our last tow vehicle and not have the great turning radius of the Super 60.
Donít forget CL and eBay...plenty of people buy stuff they canít afford and just want out from under and will eat the loss.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:20 AM
jws24
Senior User
jws24 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi all, looking for opinions regarding towing 15,000lbs with 2015/16 dually 6.7 and 3:73 diffs.
We thought we needed a dually with the Dana Super 60 front axel (for much better turning) but don't think we want the 4:30's that that option comes with.
Seems there are more choices of used trucks with 3:73's
We don't want wore our tranny and diffs after a few years of towing with the 3:73 but sure would like the mileage benefit and not scared to lock out 6th and adjust speed to keep rpm in sweet spot while on vacations.
Thoughts??
Cheers
You'll be fine with the 3:73 towing

Old 01-27-2019, 09:23 AM
jws24
Senior User
jws24 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are you still looking for a dually? I know a guy that has one for sale with a hauler bed. He just bought a motor home so doesn't need it anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.