1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Knee deep and over my head, maybe

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 09:36 AM
Heiferman
Tuned
Received 219 Likes on 123 Posts
Good deal. It was hard to see the truck tucked back there in the back.

Since I last posted I moved to Georgia. I had a contract on a house with a massive 4 bay shop. I was super stoked. That crashed and burned so now we are in a rental. My Betsy is parked in a field at a buddy's house while I await delivery of some gravel on the badly worn parking pad out back of the place.

On the drive down from Virginia a seal let go and I was spraying motor oil. So much I could not immediately tell the source. My guess is the fuel pump gasket but I am not sure. Could be the front main, water pump or - less likely - oil pan.

The new carb and manifold work really did help though. I am actually wondering if that could have increased crank case pressure.

Hi jack over.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
@kr98664 You can tell Indy to go home, I found it. Took 20 minutes to get the angels to quit singing and clear out so I could get a picture. Big fan of ebay, same money shipped as an el cheapo at the parts house.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:22 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 688 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by Heiferman
Without prose I am unsure if those pics means it is being driven, painted, sold or scrapped!
Oh, I thought it was a crime scene...

Old 03-10-2020, 03:20 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Some lessons take longer to learn than others. Poked a hole in my radiator today. Could be worse, I put a screwdriver through a brand new $300 radiator once. This one is old and I was considering replacing it, and it's only half that.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:46 AM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Just to follow up, I haven't been posting updates or anymore of the build. I wasn't able to finish it how I wanted and my time frame got moved up and that left a bad taste in my mouth. Turns out it was just my boot. I think I was deliberately procrastinating, not having the truck together was my excuse for not doing a lot of things. Truck is together now. Got a few bits and bobs to put back in the interior. Need to pull the cluster again and change some things, didn't notice until it was in that the temp gauge is slightly melted and the odometer wheels aren't centered. Going to tackle that tomorrow and grease the speedometer cable while I'm at it to take care of a bouncing needle. Got a new radiator coming in in a day or so, I managed to poke a hole in mine changing vacuum lines. She's not going to be pretty, but she runs pretty good. Still have some emissions components I never located. But I think I'm going to rework the vacuum lines and devices here shortly after I do some digging into that. Wiring in the engine bay is still scattered out and I haven't got the heat collector on the exhaust yet for the warm air intake. The one I found isn't for my application so I think I'm going to get some metal zap straps for that factory finish. Haven't got the flex duct for the cold air intake yet either. Body work will happen when it's warm, one of these years. I went with the donor body and it's had a lot of work done, filler is pretty thick. I may try and locate some good used or NOS or even reproductions doors and fenders when that time comes. I'll have to locate a few more pieces of trim as well. Haven't pulled the donors windshield trim yet. They glued over all the clips when they put the new windshield in, I think I'm going to have to cut it out and redo it, it's that bad. I never finished painting the interior from the donor, so I have a mix of black and blue. It looks good for the most part. If you're considering a two-tone interior, go for it. Still need to clean it as well. All I did was take a rag and knock down a years worth of dust before I put stuff in. Seat is in great shape, but it's filthy. Need to take her to the carwash and vacuum her out. I think I'm going to put carpet in the truck, depends on how noisy it is. I'd like to soundproof, but that's tricky when all you have on the floor is bedliner. Need to spend some time on the end gate as well, she binds pretty good, almost impossible to open. Not sure if it's the bed or just the latches. I'll get some pictures soon. I know I skipped a lot of doing when I give up on the build, but if you have any questions I can try and answer them. I didn't really take pictures of anything.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:14 AM
Heiferman
Tuned
Keep at it. I certainly know how these builds can go sideways. I appreciate you sharing.
I pulled some of the old dealer installed bits of AC out of my Betsy this weekend. Been meaning to do that for months. I need to tackle a new oil pan gasket and my living situation is preventing me from getting into serious wrenching. Moving again in July.

Old 04-20-2023, 07:32 PM
Heiferman
Tuned
Bump. Been a long time.
I moved and but a shop on my new property.
Hope the build got to where it needed to go.