Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Knee deep and over my head, maybe

Old 01-30-2019, 08:05 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Yes the big one is temp.
I have to make sure I have enough paint for the bed, get some pipe to fit in the ends of the bed sides to hang the panels from so paint can get every where.
And I need to do a lot more cleaning in the garage / paint booth.
Dave ----

Old 01-30-2019, 09:00 PM
Kramercd
Elder User
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
My brain is all over the place these days, but I feel like cold is less a factor than humidity? Or is that only up to a point? Like some paints need a minimum temp to cure? And if humidity is the bigger issue, have you ever tried running dehumidifiers?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:04 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
I can fit 3 trucks in my garage and have enough room to work on one no problem, it is not sealed or insulated so would need some killer dehumidifiers.

If to cold paint will not set up enough between coats so could take 2 days for 3 coats of paint.

High humidity can get trapped between coats and turn black paint white. If you can slow down the drying time between coats to let the water vapor (humidity ) out you should be ok.

I would like to have about 65 in the garage for painting the bed and maybe 70 for the cab but we will see.
Dave - - - -

Old 01-31-2019, 05:43 PM
Kramercd
Elder User
Looked up the casting numbers on my engine. Looks like a '92. I'm wondering who built this truck. Looks like they put a lot of work in on it.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:31 AM
Kramercd
Elder User
Ok, I think I'm getting this truck figured out, will know more once my vin question gets answered. I did more digging into the engine casting numbers, looks like this version was designed in '92, but date of manufacture was August 9th of '96, which means it was one of the last ones made, if what I read is true. Also pretty sure I'm an idiot and I know what the answer to my vin question is. Not sure how or where I got confused, but my truck is supposed to be SWB and it is in fact SWB, so Frame is Original!

Old 02-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Kramercd
Elder User
I am going to knock the grease off something today, I just know it! Taking my time prepping the engine so I can go hogwild. Making a plate to block off the intake and exhaust ports, using one of the crumpled gaskets I got in the mail, plus some of this https://www.walmart.com/ip/WonderFoa...0aAshPEALw_wcB

I use this craft foam sheet all the time. Used it on the cab bolt access covers, replaced the seals around the inlets on a wet/dry vac with it once, had to double it up. Thicker stuff would probably be better, but wal-mart stocks this, so it's awful convenient. This is probably the most useful tip you'll get from me, pretty craft foam. Use it wisely.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:49 PM
Kramercd
Elder User

Prepped for some aggressive pressure washing.... Having lost the soap and water routine, I'm thinking it's going to get more gas bath. The dirt is super clean now, but it's still all over everything. The deposits on the transmission are harder than mill scale. Engine is mostly ok looking though, going to need a hand finish. I have gotten down the the THICK iron patina on the frame in most spots, think it's begging for the wire wheel treatment.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:20 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
I would hit the kitchen for the roll of tin foil.
Rip off a chunk and ball it up and stuff it in to the ports.
Doing it this way paint will get between the ports.
When I painted mine I left the manifolds on as the intake should be painted block color.
I did not worry to much under them as you would not see that unless I run you over
Dave ----

Old 02-01-2019, 10:27 PM
Kramercd
Elder User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
I would hit the kitchen for the roll of tin foil.
Rip off a chunk and ball it up and stuff it in to the ports.
Doing it this way paint will get between the ports.
When I painted mine I left the manifolds on as the intake should be painted block color.
I did not worry to much under them as you would not see that unless I run you over
Dave ----
I've got primo blue shop towels plugged in the holes behind that plate, two layers of foam and the mangled manifold gasket, see the stiffenin ribs i cut out of the scrap? Spent as much time messing that up as I did getting the ground wet. When I get around to painting I plan on stuffing the the holes again, and putting masking tape on the mating surfaces. Been thinking about painting the manifolds different, but havent decided. I'll have to look at pictures of clean 6's and see what they look like before and after paint.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:47 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
I left the manifolds on but think I pulled the carb so it would not get painted.
I was not worried if the paint below or under the manifolds looked good as you would not see that area when in the truck.
I also did not care if some paint got on the exh manifold because once the motor was running it would burn off.

This is what it looked like yesterday 2/1/19

Between the first picture and this one I pulled the manifolds and installed EFI EXH manifolds & Y pipe. I only have what vacuum lines needed to run the motor (dist., charcoal canisters for gas fumes, power brakes, HVAC control) As you can see once you have everything in place you will not see that much of the motor on the manifold side.
I am also not building a show truck, just a nice clean and good looking truck I can use to haul trash to the dump once a week and drive to work or store if I want.
Dave ----

Old 02-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Kramercd
Elder User
Looks like I'm out of time, and I'm for sure out of money. Insurance has given us a month to tear down the shed and the attached lean to I've been working under. We've been fighting with them for a year. Tomorrow I'm going to sling plastic sheeting everywhere and try to keep the water out. I gave up on getting everything completely clean. got it over 80% done, dont have the resources or energy to do any more. Done all the pre paint prep I am going to do. It's going to be dry tomorrow, next rain is saturday evening. Gonna be 40 degrees saturday and come hell or high water I'm throwing paint at everything and hope for the best, going to cut the paint with acetone, hope that helps.. Need rad core support bushings pretty bad, only place I can find them for sale by themselves is lmc and it's $85 for just the bushings. Most everywhere else only sells them in the cab mounting kits and those are like $170+ Found a set on ebay for $50-60 but out of time and money. Going to get grade 8 bolts from the hardware store to mount the manifolds. Need at least one cab mounting bolt, hopefully I won't forget to replace it after I get the truck back together. Got so much the truck needs and I'm no longer having fun. Under better circumstances I suppose. Forgot to take pictures of the camber, front tires look like cartoon frog legs. \------/ <--about that bad, well one side is worse than that. In the last two weeks of constant cleaning I've developed a very small tranny fluid leak, looking like the shift module? I'm not sure how much time and money I've thrown at the truck, but it's going back together without much to show for it. Sucks that I really cant afford for all that to not be a waste.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:55 PM
jackietreehorn
Elder User
jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Use a couple hockey pucks as rad core bushings

Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Kramercd
Elder User
Ah,that reminds me, I forgot to mention I need an 18mm wrench to remove the radiator support. I have everything from 7 or 8 mm up to 19, but my set doesn't have an 18 with it. Most of the bushings need to be replaced, rear cab is good, front cab is ok. motor mounts are good, everything else is shot. Maybe after I get some income coming in and a place to work in I can think about tearing the truck apart again and doing a proper restoration. For now everything is going back together using whatever fasteners I've still got laying around. Still havent rebuilt the carb(or even verified I bought the right kit) or figured out how to put the climatic choke back in place, and I'll need that before I can tune it. Actually a few things I'm still missing, might have to get creative with the vac routing. Also thinking I need a new exhaust. Feeling like I'm for sure over my head.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:09 AM
Kramercd
Elder User
I was in a pretty dark place last night, lol. I didn't sleep at all. I went ahead and ordered the bushing set off of ebay as well as the tank vent valve I broke(couldn't find them anywhere else), found a heat shroud for the warm air intake as well, and ordered a pack of grade 8 bolts for the manifolds while I was on there. Credit card may never forgive me. I have a ton of stuff to do today, got to get the water proofing up in case they change their mind on the rain. Going to get a couple cans of brake cleaner from the dollar store here in about an hour when they open and going to spray the white crust off the truck from the rust neutralizer. After all that I'm pulling the rad support even if I have to cut the bolts. I think I'm going to paint the block and head blue as well as the air cleaner, and the manifolds and valve covers cast iron gray, as well as the air horn, i've got it separated now anyway. May leave the new vac motor for it black. As soon as I find time after paint that it isnt raining the cab is going back on.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:41 AM
Kramercd
Elder User
Fuzz, I just knew I was in for a pep talk. Didn't get half of what I wanted to done today.

Shop lights down

Rain "band-aid" going up

took an hour to get this far

4 hours and 200 fasteners later, hopefully I wont get wet for a week or two. I used those plastic washered housewrap/roofing felt nails. put a blob of silicone behind them.

I forgot to get a pic with the lights back up. Have to get up in a couple of hours and get the walls up. Going to use a couple of tarps and some 2x4's. I'm seriously considering hauling a bbq grill in there and building a good hot fire in it and try and bring the temp up. Wish I had a propane bottle. It's only supposed to be around 40 tomorrow. But the truck and anything not nailed down is getting paint on it whether it sticks or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.