Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Knee deep and over my head, maybe

Old 01-20-2019, 11:11 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
Now if the carb is tuned for it then it must be rich all the time when the EGR is closed.
Would this not raise the un-burnt fuel PPM high? That sounds like a messed up system to me.
Carb has two modes, right? Idle and acceleration, give or take? EGR is closed at idle, and wide open throttle, read that's something like 3500 rmp. So egr is only open during acceleration, and that's a complete separate setting on the carb isn't it?

Also, pulled the plugs, didn't see any massive holes in the pistons, but condition of the plugs makes me wonder. Plugs have less than 200 miles on them, by a lot. Now the truck has been doing more idling than driving since i've swapped the plugs. Plug one was clean. So was 4 and 6, and it was six i belive, either it or 4 was absolutely spotless. 2 was covered in dark black soot, carbon - oil maybe, but wasnt wet. 3 and 4 were the same except the tips of the electrodes looked normal.
Going to order the exhaust manifold now.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:24 AM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
There is a lot of chemistry involved with the EGR and what goes on in the combustion chamber. I don't claim to understand it all, I can just tell you that on some engines you can disconnect the EGR and not have any problems, and others you will have problems. Specifically, it will tend to ping or rattle under light loads. You can't see the temp gauge go higher with the EGR unplugged, but the pinging tells me the combustion chamber is running hotter with the EGR not working.

I said the carb was calibrated for the EGR, I was just repeating what I have read about it in the factory manuals. I think the cylinders heads may be a little different for it also. I have had a few battles doing this, and I re-jetted the carb and it didn't help. You can turn back the timing so it won't ping but then the engine doesn't have any power and the fuel mileage suffers. What I have found that helps out some is to put a 180 degree thermostat in place.

I have to agree EGR valves can be a pain, but sometimes it's just as well to give in and run one if you are having problems with it disconnected.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Wagonboy
Senior User
Wagonboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Last edited by Wagonboy; 01-21-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: image
Old 01-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Kramercd
Senior User
Looks like I lost another post by forgetting to hit reply. Kudos on the ring, I stole it. And I have a hand written copy of those acronyms in the truck notebook. Guess I'm going to spend the rest of the week waiting on the manifold to come in by cleaning the engine more, more emissions study, and might even have time to count pennies and look at pictures of the parts I'm still missing. Any de-greaser recommendations? Got two more brands I'm to try as well as some home made power brushes.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
You can use the gunk engine degreaser, but it requires a water hose and will make a little mess. I find sometimes rags and cheap brake cleaner works just as well. I definitely use the brake cleaner last before painting.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
You can use the gunk engine degreaser, but it requires a water hose and will make a little mess. I find sometimes rags and cheap brake cleaner works just as well. I definitely use the brake cleaner last before painting.
Hardware store had some stuff branded by a local detail shop, no idea whats in it, looks like watered down grape kool-aid. Promises to remove my paint if I don't dilute it. Trying it diluted now, applying with a pump up sprayer, going to see what the pressure washer does to it. Ive got up to an inch of crust in some places, silt and oil mostly, stuff on the exhaust side has plenty of carbon in it as well. I've got the lions share off the top end, just need to do below the heads and the tranny. After that I can roll around in the schlepped off sludge and do a more thorough cleaning by hand. Ever paint an engine while it was still in the truck? I think I can 3/4-*** it if I remove everything that wont kick up a fuss, throw the old plugs on(with some tape or spare fuel hose on the end since they are still serviceable backups) and use either tape or a homemade plate to block the int/exh ports, think i could use one of the old gaskets if I made a plate. One of these days I'll have a proper shop and I can pull the engine for funsies. My old man had an almost Identical truck, his may have been a 79, and he'd pull the engine once or twice a month. Carry it UP into the house, then down into the basement since my mom wouldnt let him use the kitchen table, put it back together and run it on the bench. Then he'd tear it apart and put it back in the truck. Mom said he did it for fun, but I imagine he also didn't have a decent shop and wanted to work on it indoors. Too bad I don't have a basement. Or walls on my lean-to.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:50 PM
diggerrigger
Senior User
diggerrigger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wondering why changing EGR set up affects engine performance? Everything you ever wanted to know about EGR is in this very short, easy to comprehend read. All about EGR

The pollution aspect: Oxides of Nitrogen, NOx, NO2 are formed during combustion by a combination of high heat and Pressure. While NOx is relatively benign, NO2 is toxic.
If you read the link, you will see that there are plenty performance benefits to EGR.

Last edited by diggerrigger; 01-21-2019 at 01:58 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-21-2019, 02:17 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Don't over look tin foil to wrap around wires & hoses to keep paint off them.
Anything you can wrap it around it will work and works great.
Dave - - - -

Old 01-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
Don't over look tin foil to wrap around wires & hoses to keep paint off them.
Anything you can wrap it around it will work and works great.
Dave - - - -
Great tip! I hadn't considered doing that. Also, anyone ever use oven cleaner on an engine? The koolaid did a very ok job, and I both followed and then unfriended the directions. I did manage to find some of the bell housing, and I made it all the way down to rust and paint on most of the engine. Didn't do much for plain old dirt though. Aerosol Gunk is up in round three.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:36 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Oven cleaner works but don't get any on you or the paint, it burns you and etched into paint.

Like any of the cleaner if the items were hot and kept wet they work better.
When wet I use a parts cleaning brush to work the cleaner in better.

When I got my truck I stopped by work and used the pressure washer. I thought it did a pretty good job till I got home and started pulling it apart.
I used putty knife to scrape off the heavy stuff then use bad gas I pulled from the tank to wash the motor & trany before painting.
Dave - - - -

Old 01-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
I've got a ton of stale gas, I may try it next. My shop floor is mud and it's not a lot of fun crawling around in to work under the truck, but I don't have much else to do right now. Finally separated the intake and exhaust manifolds. Egr tube came off no trouble. What's the story on the choke in the exhaust? Backfire arresting or what? When I move the manifold the plate fell out of mine, and that's all there was, never heard the rod hit the ground and I haven't found any other parts.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:37 PM
jackietreehorn
Elder User
jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Talking

Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
My old man had an almost Identical truck, his may have been a 79, and he'd pull the engine once or twice a month. Carry it UP into the house, then down into the basement since my mom wouldnt let him use the kitchen table, put it back together and run it on the bench. Then he'd tear it apart and put it back in the truck. Mom said he did it for fun, but I imagine he also didn't have a decent shop and wanted to work on it indoors. Too bad I don't have a basement. Or walls on my lean-to.
A 4.9 six engine weighs over 400 pounds, was your father sasquatch by chance?

Old 01-21-2019, 06:44 PM
Kramercd
Senior User
Stats I read was 580lbs on the 300 6. I think his had a 351, not sure if it was a big block or a small block. I'll dig out the album when I get done eating and post pics of it, maybe you guys can better identify it for me. Wonder what the largest disassembled piece weighs?

Old 01-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Kramercd
Senior User

Here's the only two pictures I have of that truck.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:29 PM
jackietreehorn
Elder User
jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
Stats I read was 580lbs on the 300 6. I think his had a 351, not sure if it was a big block or a small block. I'll dig out the album when I get done eating and post pics of it, maybe you guys can better identify it for me. Wonder what the largest disassembled piece weighs?
I think a short block 300 is over 400, with all accessories it's probably closer to 600. That looks like a FE or cleve block in the pic. Sorry for hijacking!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.