5th Wheel Woes - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

5th Wheel Woes

Old 01-20-2019, 07:50 AM
Poncho450
Posting Guru
Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
You don't have to be perfectly lined up for a successful connection - the opening in the hitch is funnel shaped to guide the kingpin into the latch. !
From reading many of your past posts you obviously have far more experience with 5th wheels than I do. But I would interject one small objection to the above part of your comment - My experience with a wedge type hitch like the Reese Sidewiinder was that you really do have to be lined up very close to perfect, or the corner of the wedge will not slide into the 5th wheel plate. It got to be frustrating at times. Even though those corners are slightly rounded. I even greased the sides of the wedge to not much avail.
It was a great hitch as far as maneuverability and being able to hook/unhook from odd angles. But that wedge thing could sometimes be difficult if you didn't hit it dead on.
Just a little aside, that's all. Carry on!

Old 01-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
How in the world do the guys/gals that drive the big trucks with a sleeper and no rear window to lookout of do this? They have been doing it for years w/o issue! No rear window, no camera!!!! Use mirrors, line up, back up, latch up, make sure you are locked up, hook up, raise landing gear, go!!

Old 01-20-2019, 09:53 AM
porthole
Posting Guru
porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.
I removed the center seat headrest at day one of ownership.
For the 5th wheel I use a pencil magnet on the saddle.

Back in in till I hit the magnet, lined up of coarse, then double check the pin box height.

Pencil magnets are are cheap at harbor freight, get the one with the widest magnet, about 3/4

i cant even see the saddle in my truck because of the tool box.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:57 AM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by saskowner View Post
I guess I had better get my CHM camera checked out. The image is so poor I find it next to useless for hooking up even when zoomed in. I ended up buying a set of those magnetic ***** that I could see in the rear view mirror.
Gary
l had the same issue, then I cleaned the lens.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 AM
maxum96
Senior User
maxum96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 99150 View Post
How in the world do the guys/gals that drive the big trucks with a sleeper and no rear window to lookout of do this? They have been doing it for years w/o issue! No rear window, no camera!!!! Use mirrors, line up, back up, latch up, make sure you are locked up, hook up, raise landing gear, go!!
As a former truck driver, that was my thought too. I did not order any of the cameras with my 2019 F350 and don't have any issues hooking up my 5th wheel. But in defense of the RV'ers here, the 5th wheel we use for RV's is much smaller than what a semi uses and as such the RV 5th wheel allows a much smaller error of margin when linning up with the trailer.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:03 PM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Poncho450 View Post
From reading many of your past posts you obviously have far more experience with 5th wheels than I do. But I would interject one small objection to the above part of your comment - My experience with a wedge type hitch like the Reese Sidewiinder was that you really do have to be lined up very close to perfect, or the corner of the wedge will not slide into the 5th wheel plate. It got to be frustrating at times. Even though those corners are slightly rounded. I even greased the sides of the wedge to not much avail.
It was a great hitch as far as maneuverability and being able to hook/unhook from odd angles. But that wedge thing could sometimes be difficult if you didn't hit it dead on.
Just a little aside, that's all. Carry on!
You are absolutely right. I had a shortbed with a slider hitch once. It could be a real pain to hook up.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:29 PM
Siriustoo
Senior User
Siriustoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your experience is similar to mine with the 2017 F-350 6.75 with a Demco Autoslider and no high mount camera. I learned with trial and error to align the center headrest with the 5th wheel hitch. On my 3 week trip last year I removed the rear tailgate... best decision ever. It’s pretty easy to do. I see lots of people at RV parks with dented tailgates. I will be getting one of those plastic tailgates this year. I did order the tow tech package on my 2019, for the front camera in addition to the one for the bed. Lots of campsites have posts and large rocks that you can’t see over the hood. After a couple dozen hook ups you will learn to get the alignment right. All I need now is my interior mirror and the headrest for alignment.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 PM
saskowner
Senior User
saskowner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ssunit1 View Post

l had the same issue, then I cleaned the lens.
Done that many times.
Gary

Old 01-21-2019, 03:36 PM
Baldicon
Senior User
Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.
I got one of these for Christmas, but haven't used it yet to hook the trailer up. I did attach it to the tire and looks like it will work great.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z9K...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 PM
BillRes2
Junior User
BillRes2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
"when in reverse, I selected the button top left to pick from different views available, picked the high mounted camera...which shows the bed
backed in til i thought I was close.. then hit the + button to zoom in.. for close movement.. (I missed center on the 1st try, but that is typical for me)"

This was a great help, Sam. It led me to an area that I had overlooked in the camera settings. It does let me see the back of the truck bed. Hopefully it will allow me align properly. I had removed the receiver before I read your message so I can not currently try it out. I have constructed, as a fall back measure, a "gunsight" that hopefully will allow me to accurately align the truck if the new camera settings are not sufficient. However the clearance issues with the tailgate a a prelude to dings and worse. Removing the headrests helped some also. In my previous truck I could see the receiver with the rear view mirror, and aligning was not much of a issue.
thanks and regards
Bill

Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 PM
ShadowGrey
Senior User
ShadowGrey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
I got one of these for Christmas, but haven't used it yet to hook the trailer up. I did attach it to the tire and looks like it will work great.

I got one of these and it works fine except I think I am going to put some foam on the back side so there is no chance of scraping my 20" wheels.

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-21-2019, 09:46 PM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User
ExtremeDuty is starting off with a positive reputation.

X2. Gonna be great. Note to self: Don't forget to remove it before moving the rig... eeek!

Old 01-21-2019, 10:38 PM
Baldicon
Senior User
Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ExtremeDuty View Post
X2. Gonna be great. Note to self: Don't forget to remove it before moving the rig... eeek!
Me being me, I probably will.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:20 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by ShadowGrey View Post
I got one of these and it works fine except I think I am going to put some foam on the back side so there is no chance of scraping my 20" wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
this one has little adjustable bumpers on the lower backside
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-22-2019, 07:37 AM
Poncho450
Posting Guru
Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I"ve had one of those (not that brand but same idea) for probably 20 years as I've always owned four wheel drive trucks. Handy for cleaning the windshield as well as under hood stuff. Never thought to throw it into the back of the truck during the short time I owned a 5th wheel camper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.