Aluminum trucks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Aluminum trucks

Old 01-18-2019, 08:42 PM
Scottrw
New User
Scottrw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Aluminum trucks

im a contractor and use my bed daily.20 years of f350s and no issues.after seeing several of my construction buddies 17-18 truck beds Iím at a crossroads,im at about 200,000 and planned on getting a 2020 at the end of the year,anyone know if the 2020ís will address the weak bed and tailgate?

Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 PM
BillyE
Elder User
BillyE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Iím not sure what youíre talking about.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:04 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.
Had mine line-x’d the day I got it and have thrown farm tools an implements in it for 2 years with no dents dings or scrapes. Now and unprotected bed/tailgate wether steel or aluminum would usually be pretty beat up under that use.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:11 PM
ShadowGrey
Senior User
ShadowGrey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Line-X it and don't worry about it...It will be stronger than any uncoated steel bed out there.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:15 PM
edjunior
Posting Guru
edjunior is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.edjunior is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Please be a little more specific on what you mean by "weak bed and taillights". I beat up my other beds pretty good, but they still did what they needed to do.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:44 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
I actually think they are holding up better than the steel beds. Our fleet trucks get trashed and so far aside from the beds getting severely dented I don't see the damage as any worse over some of the remaining 2016 trucks in the fleet. The drivers don't care and routinely drop in wacker plates, backhoe buckets and they look like hell before the first oil change.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:05 PM
jrwinger
Senior User
jrwinger is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've had my truck for a year & have tools, equipment & chemicals in my truck daily. I also have 2000 lb pallets forklifted into the back of the truck semi-regularly as well. aside from scratched paint, I have not had any problems. No dents, no tears.

That being said, I also just had the LineX "Platinum" sprayed into my bed this past week. The Platinum product is 300% harder than the standard lineX. I'll report back next time I have a pallet lifted in, but I'm anticipating the liner to make the bed basically bulletproof.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 PM
ATC Crazy
Post Fiend
ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.
Line-X and a rubber bed mat.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.
Okay, in another recent first time poster thread, a bet was made the guy was "one and done". Any bets on this one? I believe it was a beer?

Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 PM
minke
Senior User
minke is starting off with a positive reputation.
This may sound off-topic at first...

On my steel '11 F-250 I drilled a hole in the cab roof for my ham antenna and was always concerned about the stiffness of the steel, and IIRC the roof was flat. I can't remember my impression of the cut out thickness.

On my aluminum '17 F-350 I saved the cut out piece for the antenna hole and (without measuring) it seemed to be about 1/10". The roof has molded channels and I believe it is a lot stiffer.

Obviously this is both anecdotal and a personal impression. I think it applies to the bed too.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:54 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.
Linex here too. Several loads of Allen blocks, round rock, crush, (from a loader) firewood and no issues.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:46 PM
2piecespecial
Senior User
2piecespecial is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Iíve got the factory spray in bed liner and haul a truck camper around, the liner has scrapes but zero issues with the aluminum bed.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:57 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 2piecespecial View Post
Iíve got the factory spray in bed liner and haul a truck camper around, the liner has scrapes but zero issues with the aluminum bed.
Same here.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:04 AM
maypo59
Senior User
maypo59 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I addressed mine. Day it came home, I went out there and yelled at it for 20 minutes about rusting through and **** like my last truck bed.. 2 years and a day later, I am convinced my Drill Sergent training is still good, as there isn't a spec of rust in the bed.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:08 AM
ncl
Elder User
ncl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird View Post
Okay, in another recent first time poster thread, a bet was made the guy was "one and done". Any bets on this one? I believe it was a beer?

Haha Haha that was me who made that bet. I lost! I sent the OP on that post a PM about getting him his brew.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.