Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Electric F-150 coming...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 05:45 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric F-150 coming...

So there aren't really any details on this yet, but according to a Ford exec, it's going to happen. So what do you think about an electric F-150? Personally, I think the first uses for these will be for fleets. I'm thinking universities, local governments, maybe even parks, where the vehicles return to a central place at night. That would make charging them easy, and vehicles like that would have a relatively small range of operation, so it could make sense. Plus, electric motors require less upkeep than gas ones, but I imagine they'd have to see service for a while to account for the additional cost up front. What do you think about an electric F-150? Do you think Ford will actually sell any to regular people?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 PM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Wouldn't work for me, but I can see some others buying them, especially if they can get the charge time down.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:23 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I’m fairly curious, but not holding my breath for either the hybrid or all-electric F-150. I’ve already told my dealer to call me the second the hybrid arrives. Infrastructure is a major problem with an all-electric vehicle and when it comes to trucks, it’s needed even more. The longer ranges being promised by some of the all-electric truck platforms coming to market in the next few years is exciting, but it still won’t give me the range I need to tow my trailer into the mountains (and back).

Old 01-19-2019, 02:09 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Hybrid would appeal to me in many ways since we've been planning on expanding our operations in Mexico and the border is an absolute nightmare. Stop for 3 minutes, move 12 feet ahead, then repeat. The auto start stop starter would wear out much faster that way! That was why I didn't buy a new one this year.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by onug
The longer ranges being promised by some of the all-electric truck platforms coming to market in the next few years is exciting
I agree, with the larger battery option they're boasting around a 400 mile range. I'm sure it's more like 300-350 in the real world, but even that is good for an entire day for most people. I don't think I'd do any long distance towing, but for local use or even contractors it's very appealing.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:20 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
I think it would be an answer to a question nobody is asking. GM discontinued their Volt - it was initially was to be a plug-in only and then they made it Hybrid. Some people just think Electricity just "comes" out of the wall, and they are being so "green" with an electric or hybrid car... Need to realize there is a Total Carbon Footprint cost, and unless we start damming up more rivers (unlikely), it ain't gonna' be Solar that is the break-through in power generation/delivery.

Keep your heavy batts - I'll take the payload capacity thanks very much!

I think FORD should be posting these Q's on our and other enthusiast forums, before they drop a dime on the idea... And where is that Achates Engine these days?????!

Scott

Old 01-19-2019, 05:25 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggums
Hybrid would appeal to me in many ways since we've been planning on expanding our operations in Mexico and the border is an absolute nightmare. Stop for 3 minutes, move 12 feet ahead, then repeat. The auto start stop starter would wear out much faster that way! That was why I didn't buy a new one this year.

When are they going to put in EV charging stations that allow you to pull in with a trailer? That's about the only way I would consider one.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:19 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
When are they going to put in EV charging stations that allow you to pull in with a trailer? That's about the only way I would consider one.
All-electric cars are out of the question for me. I'm not going to wait 30 minutes. And if you do get stranded, are there charging tow trucks? I only like the hybrid because the engine is not always running when I'm at the border. The stop and go traffic is insane. I'm not a tree-hugger, it's just the wear and tear I'm looking at.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:46 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,546 Likes on 1,415 Posts
I kind of like the idea, but I live in the hills and drive in the hills. I'm going to have to stick with deno fuel for a PU.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:43 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Things are changing -Harley Davidson is also is building an All Electric Motorcycle.TR

Old 01-21-2019, 01:50 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggums
All-electric cars are out of the question for me. I'm not going to wait 30 minutes. And if you do get stranded, are there charging tow trucks? I only like the hybrid because the engine is not always running when I'm at the border. The stop and go traffic is insane. I'm not a tree-hugger, it's just the wear and tear I'm looking at.
Yeah quite a few EV jump start trucks running the metro areas these days. Pretty funny because they have diesel powered generators to jump the eco conscious EV cars. I see them frequently in the bay area.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:56 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
Originally Posted by Black Ford XLT
Things are changing -Harley Davidson is also is building an All Electric Motorcycle.TR
I actually rode the prototype for this bike, and it was cool! That said, it's going to cost 30k, which is just ridiculous. So I don't see a lot of folks — green or otherwise — lining up to get one...

Old 01-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,546 Likes on 1,415 Posts
I think an electric trials bike would be fun!

Old 01-22-2019, 08:56 AM
triniexr
Senior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I think it would be an answer to a question nobody is asking. GM discontinued their Volt - it was initially was to be a plug-in only and then they made it Hybrid. Some people just think Electricity just "comes" out of the wall, and they are being so "green" with an electric or hybrid car... Need to realize there is a Total Carbon Footprint cost, and unless we start damming up more rivers (unlikely), it ain't gonna' be Solar that is the break-through in power generation/delivery.

I think FORD should be posting these Q's on our and other enthusiast forums, before they drop a dime on the idea... And where is that Achates Engine these days?????!

Scott
Also those batteries are not recyclable. All these batteries are going to sit there and pile up with no way of disposing them.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:48 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just an FYI on a few things:

I think it would be an answer to a question nobody is asking. GM discontinued their Volt - it was initially was to be a plug-in only and then they made it Hybrid.
The Volt was never designed as a plug-in only. That was an early pre-release media rumor that was never true. The Volt was discontinued because there are competitors out there with superior products, and sales of the Volt suffered as a result.

GM does have an all-electric Bolt that is currently in production. Furthermore, GM is going to build all-electric Cadillac's to take on Tesla. So no, GM isn't abandoning the all-electric vehicle, they are embracing it as is other auto-makers.

Some people just think Electricity just "comes" out of the wall, and they are being so "green" with an electric or hybrid car... Need to realize there is a Total Carbon Footprint cost, and unless we start damming up more rivers (unlikely), it ain't gonna' be Solar that is the break-through in power generation/delivery.
An all-electric vehicle vs traditional internal combustion..... an EV will always pollute less. Why? Energy produced in mass volume, such as an electric grid, is far more efficient than producing energy for single use, such as an internal combustion engine. So yes it's true that EV's aren't entirely "green", but they are a much better alternative than the traditional internal combustion engine when it comes to pollution and efficient production of energy required to move the vehicle down the highway.

Take into consideration the type of engine required to perform equally to an electric motor.... basically a fairly powerful supercharged/turbocharged V8 (assuming gas engine). Add in the transmission, fuel tank, etc. Now take a battery pack and electric motors and compare side-by-side. There's less weight difference then you might assume.

I think FORD should be posting these Q's on our and other enthusiast forums, before they drop a dime on the idea...
Ford doesn't have to be on a forum and ask questions. Ford, like all other auto-makers, is paying attention to how Tesla has decimated the competition of luxury sedans, and they did it with severely handcuffed production capabilities. With the popularity of the Tesla Model 3 as a less expensive option, you can bet auto-makers are scrambling to compete in the market.

Tesla's disadvantage is they can't build them fast enough. If given the production capabilities of companies like Ford or GM, Tesla would be far larger than they are now.

And where is that Achates Engine these days?????!
I doubt they will make it into mass production. Internal combustion engines, even designs like Achates, will lose popularity quickly as electric takes over.

Originally Posted by triniexr
Also those batteries are not recyclable. All these batteries are going to sit there and pile up with no way of disposing them.
Actually, this is not true at all. The batteries used in hybrids and EV's, whether they are nickel-metal hydride or even the newer lithium-ion, are both recyclable. Furthermore, both of those batteries, unlike traditional lead-acid, are not considered toxic.

I think there is serious misunderstandings regarding all-electric vehicles. Sure they have some downsides, such as charging times vs filling up with gasoline at a pump. But EV's are increasing in range while simultaneously decreasing in cost and charge times. Even more, the infrastructure for charging stations is growing rapidly, as it's faster, easier, and cheaper to put up charging stations than it is to build a gas station. EV's are coming quickly, and all the auto-makers are pushing to make it happen very soon.

Quick Reply: Electric F-150 coming...