Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Project Mater:: '49 F2 build

Old 03-17-2019, 03:37 PM
tonyguns
Junior User
tonyguns is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jholder64 View Post
Great work! I was wondering where you got your replacement spring pins & bushings for the rear springs? I am working on a 1950 F2 and having a hard time finding the replacement spring pins and bushings. Also needing rear shackles.
Here's the link for the rear springs, they came with the bushings installed.

LEaf spring link

And Chuck's Trucks for the pins.

As for the shackles, you'll have to have them restored, they're no longer available anywhere. I have a local hot rod shop that's doing mine here: Charlie's Custom Creations

I haven't gotten mine back yet, but he's almost done. If you can't find a shop near you, give him a call, tell him Anthony sent you.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:05 PM
tonyguns
Junior User
03/172019 Update

I hate to call any progress a "Mini Update" because cleaning up the frame section that was under the cab was very challenging, and took even longer to degrease, then fully paint. but progress is progress, even if there aren't alot of pictures to post, I'm happy to exclaim The Frame is DONE! Now time to build the brake system.

Starting the 3 step BKS Coating process

Step 2 is the etching process

It's crazy to see some original paint still left on the frame

The winch makes access to the bottom a ton easier.

This section was very difficult to clean.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:35 PM
slater116
New User
slater116 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking Good

Old 03-18-2019, 11:36 AM
mtflat
Post Fiend
mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
You're doing a great job - it will be worth it when you're done!

Old 03-19-2019, 06:55 AM
tonyguns
Junior User
Originally Posted by slater116 View Post
Looking Good
Originally Posted by mtflat View Post
You're doing a great job - it will be worth it when you're done!
Thanks guys, with 2 little babies at home, it's difficult to find time to work on it, but it is a lot of fun preserving it.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:59 PM
tonyguns
Junior User
03/24/2019 Update

Well, to say the least, this was an adventure. First, before I post the pictures with commentary, understand that this was my own neurosis around how to install the 4852BB4 master cylinder from CPP. I decided to ensure a fit that fit properly, as I didn't like how things were lining up from the factory. If you installed it differently, I am not saying your setup is wrong. I'm merely showing you how I got my kit to fit in a way I was happy with. So, take most of what I post as commentary from a guy who is OCD in some areas of his life, to a downright hoarding slob in others.

First dry run, thinking all I needed to do was drill 2 holes and kick my feet up for an early adult beverage.

These bolts look twisted... what the??!!??

I can't shake the feeling this just doesn't look right.

As you can clearly see, the stock bracked, and the 4852BB4 bracket holes just aren't close

Pic with flash, using my relocated bottom hole, you can see the pedal swing arm is pretty close to center.

After relocating the bottom hole downward(factory hole was drilled very close to the edge), I then scribed the top hole to be drilled.

More scribe detail

Drilled out after using a center punch, a great set of metal bits, and a rippin fast stepper bit.

more mockup without the master cylinder attached to the brackets. You will definitely want to fit the brackets first, much easier that way.

More mock up angles

If you mount this kit they way the suggest, you'll start with the brake pedal at 30 degrees, and I really didn't like that given the pedal's resting angle is 40 degrees +/- 3 degrees.

After trimming a 1" recess, the whole thing just fits better. You'll notice the pedal is now resting at 38 degrees, which gives me a little room to adjust the pedal height. If you mount the kist without recessing the bracket, it WILL work, but I didn't want to adjust the turnbuckle out nearly all the way to get the pedal at 40 degrees.

If I were to do this again, I'd make the bracket touch the old frame mount with the spacers, but I just made room for adjustment.

Inside bolts that go through the frame rail, this pic is from the inside.

Outside from rail bolts.

A shot of the spacer,(it;s a stack of washers surrounded by high strength electrical pvc tape.

overhead shot of the whole thing installed.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:05 PM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant future
Tony, you encountered the exact same thing I did. I bought the same M/C kit and found that the fit was just plain wrong. (twist, gaps, and poor angles)
With lots of help from long-time gearhead I ended up making a custom bracket from a donor cross member, and a custom 'Z' bar with a heim joint to get that M/C to sit square and firm.
That 'kit' just does not fit our F2/F3's. The seller should stop marketing it as such and I told them so.
Like you did, a bunch of fabrication and rework was necessary to make it safe and to get a good brake pedal angle.
Tom

Old 03-25-2019, 09:15 PM
tonyguns
Junior User
Originally Posted by pineconeford View Post
Tony, you encountered the exact same thing I did. I bought the same M/C kit and found that the fit was just plain wrong. (twist, gaps, and poor angles)
With lots of help from long-time gearhead I ended up making a custom bracket from a donor cross member, and a custom 'Z' bar with a heim joint to get that M/C to sit square and firm.
That 'kit' just does not fit our F2/F3's. The seller should stop marketing it as such and I told them so.
Like you did, a bunch of fabrication and rework was necessary to make it safe and to get a good brake pedal angle.
Tom
Hey Tom, I was quite surprised how badly that bracket matched up against the pedal assembly holes. I'm hoping those little tweaks have it set up right. Time and some miles down the road will only tell.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:22 PM
tonyguns
Junior User
03/29/2019 Update

FINALLY got the rear shackles back from being restored which has lit a fire under me for getting the suspension wrapped up, it's been sitting on the saw horses for way too long. Also you'll see my solution to deleting the clutch pedal, well the start of it anyway. I'm hoping to slam some more hours into it tomorrow, but I thought I'd break up the weekend update with this load of pics.

I had some scap pipe laying around that was just a little too small to fit over the clutch and brake pivot pin, so I had to slice it open.

Here you'll see there's a clutch pedal bushing inside the slug.

Here's a pic of the wedge I welded in where I had to slice it open to make room for the bushing. This is as far as I got on this little project, I'll post more as I push this along later.

The repaired rear shackles. After calling Chuck's trucks and hear him tell me he sold his last pair, I found a local shop that could fix mine. Here they are all painted.

Rear wheel hubs from the Dana 60 all painted up and ready to go.

The rear leaf springs are finally off the floor an in place. This really juiced me up.

Rolling the Dana 60 in place.

Side shot of the Dana 60

Dana 60 mounted and in place

The shop foreman was not pleased with my progress, so she took matters in her own hands.

Rear U-bolts worked out awesome, couldn't be happier.

Brake backer shield in place

Both sides mounted

Rear of the backer plate

Brake hardware all mounted and in place. This was my first time rebuilding a Ford setup, and even then, it's been at least 20 years since I've touched drum brakes... sheesh!

Rear drums and axles mounted and assembled

Side shot and remnants of my previously admitted slob tendencies

Rear shot of where 'Ol Mater sits today.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:16 PM
tonyguns
Junior User
04/08/2019 Update

Here's an update of where i am now, pulled apart the donor truck to get cracking on the motor rebuild.

This is the purpose of the bushing lined slug I made in the last update. I couldn't bring myself to hack up the original clutch pedal, so I made this slug.

It's a roller - temporarily. The wheels are now off to the powder coater.

Brake lines run.

82 302 in need of a rebuild in a bad way.

The old 82 F150 really did serve me very well. as I began the disassembly, there were many instances where I am surprised this truck didn't actually kill me.

I installed the edelbrock intake and Holley 600 carb, but all that did was expose the state of the rings, or what's left of them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.