1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Struggling with white smoke and fuel smell (1968 F100)

Old 01-19-2019, 12:05 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by 13mm
the smoke video shows evaporation quickly like steam, oil burning smoke lingers and fades away slowly with a blue tint & smells oily. Water passage at intake manifold may seep into intake runner causing steam cloud smoke.
Vacuum gauge looks like the timing is retarded, advance the timing, slow idle down to get throttle plate/butterfly closed to adjust air bleed idle mixture screws, re check timing with timing light. repeat if necessary.
Just a few sugestions.
may you do well, good luck
Good call. I concur

Old 01-21-2019, 01:54 PM
crazzmc
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay guys I have some updates for you. It snowed here pretty bad the past 2 days and its like 3 degrees out and my driveway is iced so I wasn't able to get the truck outside and started today, but I took some photos in my garage.

1. First of all I have a C4 Transmission not a C6. Some guy was helping me with my truck a while back swore it was a C6 so sure why not, but I looked at the pan today and it was 100% a C4 transmission pan. So I don't think that changes much, but I just wanted to let you know.

2. My oil is getting kind close to black after just 60 miles. I changed it about 2 months ago drove 60 miles and changed the spark plugs then too.

3. I am using Autolite 25 Copper spark plugs (I bought the same ones that the vehicle originally had in them). I can't find my gapper tool, but once I do I'll post what they are gapped at.

4. My Valve modulator is a push green stripe and it was bone dry inside the tube coming out of it so I am going to assume its not siphoning any transmission oil.

5. All the photos of my rockers, carb, trans, oil, etc. Last two pics are of the gauges I just finished putting in and my first time using vinyl, I think it came out alright.

Spoiler

Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That tranny output shaft looks awful rough (rusted/pitted), and the tranny seal looks dried and cracked. But on the good side the dash looks great! And the inside of the door is very nice. Is that the temp sensor on the manifold (below the dist.) the wire is missing whatever it goes to.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Red69
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a question that might eliminate the carb. If you run your idle mixture screws all the way in does the engine still run? The reason I ask is that the power valve in an over the counter Holley is a 6.5. When you run a modified cam you have lower vacuum and it could require a lower value power valve like a 5.5 or even 4.5 to keep it from opening at idle causing a very rich idle mixture.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:59 AM
crazzmc
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by GaryKip
That tranny output shaft looks awful rough (rusted/pitted), and the tranny seal looks dried and cracked. But on the good side the dash looks great! And the inside of the door is very nice. Is that the temp sensor on the manifold (below the dist.) the wire is missing whatever it goes to.
Yeah I have a new temp sensor I have to put I. I’ll look into getting another seal. And thanks I’m a little better at interior work

Originally Posted by Red69
Just a question that might eliminate the carb. If you run your idle mixture screws all the way in does the engine still run? The reason I ask is that the power valve in an over the counter Holley is a 6.5. When you run a modified cam you have lower vacuum and it could require a lower value power valve like a 5.5 or even 4.5 to keep it from opening at idle causing a very rich idle mixture.
Yeah I can. It just idles really high. So do you recommend picking up a different power valve?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:20 AM
Red69
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it raises the idle with the screws all the way in you definitely need a lower value power valve. Try a 5.5 first and I would also get a #31 squirt nozzle for the accelerator pump so you don't get a flat spot coming off idle with the lower power valve.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:40 AM
crazzmc
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Red69
If it raises the idle with the screws all the way in you definitely need a lower value power valve. Try a 5.5 first and I would also get a #31 squirt nozzle for the accelerator pump so you don't get a flat spot coming off idle with the lower power valve.
Alright. I ordered them. Will try them out this week!

Old 01-22-2019, 11:15 AM
13mm
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most all Holley carbs I have ever wrenched on, has always had POWER Valve issues, a backfire can rupture the diaphram & then over fueling is sucked into manifold. Unburned fuel turns oil dark.

www . Holley . com has a good website to visit, technical & service info is good, some videos too.

Old holleys use to have a CORK jet plate to Body Gasket that deteriorated in no time, causing engine run issues, Hopefully your carb has the new style blue material gasket.

Sometimes Youtube have video that help showing how to get it fixed.
Internal carb circuits may be gummed up .
Good luck

Old 01-23-2019, 12:06 PM
JDFan4010
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, I wish I had your guys mechanic knowledge. Reading these is almost like a college education...Love it.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:06 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Do you have a vacuum gauge? It is very useful in situations like this.

If you don't have one, get one. They don't cost much and are very useful for tuning.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:14 PM
crazzmc
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by 13mm
Most all Holley carbs I have ever wrenched on, has always had POWER Valve issues, a backfire can rupture the diaphram & then over fueling is sucked into manifold. Unburned fuel turns oil dark.

www . Holley . com has a good website to visit, technical & service info is good, some videos too.

Old holleys use to have a CORK jet plate to Body Gasket that deteriorated in no time, causing engine run issues, Hopefully your carb has the new style blue material gasket.

Sometimes Youtube have video that help showing how to get it fixed.
Internal carb circuits may be gummed up .
Good luck
Yeah I've been looking at their website they have some good resources there.

Originally Posted by JDFan4010
Damn, I wish I had your guys mechanic knowledge. Reading these is almost like a college education...Love it.
Right? my life would be so much easier haha.

Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
Do you have a vacuum gauge? It is very useful in situations like this.

If you don't have one, get one. They don't cost much and are very useful for tuning.
Yessir the vacuum gauge results are shown in the 2 videos in the original post those results started this thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:33 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Whoops haha. I totally forgot about that.

So what does the gauge do when you screw the screws in?

Old 01-23-2019, 05:47 PM
crazzmc
5th Wheeling
Whoops haha. I totally forgot about that.

So what does the gauge do when you screw the screws in?
Honestly not much, it still bounces about +/- 5 in either direction. When I adjust the screws about 2 full turns or so it moves about 5 (still bouncing). I got my timing light yesterday, everything is just frozen here so I'm waiting for the temperature to come up a bit. Probably show you guys the timing results tomorrow and take off the carb and put the new 5.5 power valve in and the 121-31 squirters in as well.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:19 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
The gauge should not be bouncing. And the only thing that causes a bounce is a disruption of standard air flow.

Carb adjustments and ignition timing don't cause irregular air flow. (Adjustments May very well be needed, but they aren't going to fix your problem)

Old 01-23-2019, 06:50 PM
crazzmc
5th Wheeling
The gauge should not be bouncing. And the only thing that causes a bounce is a disruption of standard air flow.

Carb adjustments and ignition timing don't cause irregular air flow. (Adjustments May very well be needed, but they aren't going to fix your problem)
I see, I did do a compression test and my results were between 109-119. A few people said my timing sounds retarded and 13mm said this:

"Vacuum gauge looks like the timing is retarded, advance the timing, slow idle down to get throttle plate/butterfly closed to adjust air bleed idle mixture screws, re check timing with timing light. repeat if necessary. Just a few sugestions."
Do you recommend doing anything else to get the needle to stop bouncing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Struggling with white smoke and fuel smell (1968 F100)