Can FordPass Be Hacked?? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Can FordPass Be Hacked??

Old 01-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Nuckingfuts
Freshman User
Nuckingfuts is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can FordPass Be Hacked??

I'm looking into using the FordPass app but I'm concerned with the security of this system and have heard roomers of being able to hack the app and gain access to your vehicle. I've searched but haven't found anything concrete supporting its security or lack thereof. Anyone else worried about this? Thoughts?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:19 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.
Has it been hacked........ no. Can it be hacked? Absolutely, given time and funding everything is hackable.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Tranz zam
Senior User
Tranz zam is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anything transmitted wireless can be hacked. Anything.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:00 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Do you really think a network engineer with enough know how to hack and infiltrate the FordPass systems, figure out the token for your specific car, and gain access to your vehicle (which he still can't drive away with without the key) is going to:

A: Spend the time and knowledge on stealing your pocket change out of your center console
B: Not already be making $400k working on Netflix's video compression algorithms.
C: If he wanted access to your car he could do it in 3 seconds with vice grips on your driver side door, why spend hours of time and risk wire tap charges and federal prison, when you could do it and be gone in the time it took to boot up your laptop.

Just sayin, I dont think you should really be worrying about this.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:51 PM
Nuckingfuts
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
Do you really think a network engineer with enough know how to hack and infiltrate the FordPass systems, figure out the token for your specific car, and gain access to your vehicle (which he still can't drive away with without the key) is going to:

A: Spend the time and knowledge on stealing your pocket change out of your center console
B: Not already be making $400k working on Netflix's video compression algorithms.
C: If he wanted access to your car he could do it in 3 seconds with vice grips on your driver side door, why spend hours of time and risk wire tap charges and federal prison, when you could do it and be gone in the time it took to boot up your laptop.

I'm more worried about the young talented hackers who are doing it out of pure boredom. Kind of like these little stinkers:
https://anonhq.com/5-genius-child-ha...ive-run-money/

Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 AM
homerj
Senior User
homerj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Like he said. Can be in your truck in a flash with channel locks. Used to be a screw driver on older ones.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Nuckingfuts View Post
I'm more worried about the young talented hackers who are doing it out of pure boredom. Kind of like these little stinkers:
https://anonhq.com/5-genius-child-ha...ive-run-money/
Again, you need to look at motive here. A young kid hacking Xbox or Farming style games has motive because they want to play games. What would be their motive in remotely starting your truck? Bored maybe, but I really think you're worrying about nothing here. Worry about the crack head with the vice grips that wants to get the $20 in your center console. Not the genius kid trying to play restricted xbox games.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:08 PM
hansenlink
Junior User
hansenlink is starting off with a positive reputation.

I am a cyber security engineer and agree with this wholeheartedly. Any thing can be hacked....but what is the payoff? And as said, you would still need the key. The service is a convenience.

I for one will not allow google home or amazon alexa in my home as it presents too many issues that outweigh the convenience for me. As well as there are other, way more secure to automate ones home. But it all comes down to how much convenience you want while acknowledging the risks.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Nuckingfuts
Freshman User
Again, you need to look at motive here. A young kid hacking Xbox or Farming style games has motive because they want to play games. What would be their motive in remotely starting your truck? Bored maybe, but I really think you're worrying about nothing here. Worry about the crack head with the vice grips that wants to get the $20 in your center console. Not the genius kid trying to play restricted xbox games.
Heh, maybe you're right!

Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.

Originally Posted by hansenlink View Post
I am a cyber security engineer and agree with this wholeheartedly. Any thing can be hacked....but what is the payoff? And as said, you would still need the key. The service is a convenience.

I for one will not allow google home or amazon alexa in my home as it presents too many issues that outweigh the convenience for me. As well as there are other, way more secure to automate ones home. But it all comes down to how much convenience you want while acknowledging the risks.
Same. What they said. Although I would like more information on this channel lock and rear door thing. wtf is that all about?

Old 01-18-2019, 02:33 PM
GABAR
Posting Guru
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Nuckingfuts View Post
I'm looking into using the FordPass app but I'm concerned with the security of this system and have heard roomers of being able to hack the app and gain access to your vehicle. I've searched but haven't found anything concrete supporting its security or lack thereof. Anyone else worried about this? Thoughts?
Don`t stress yourself out over this. Just enjoy your vehicle and use the FordPass app and its related features.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird View Post
Same. What they said. Although I would like more information on this channel lock and rear door thing. wtf is that all about?
Its the driver door, if you pull on the handle, the column leading back into the truck is the lock shaft. You can grab this with vice grips or the like and break the lock in a couple seconds. Giving you access to the truck. You can remove the lock completely and rely purely on the fob. Or just trust your insurance will take care of it.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:08 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.
Its the driver door, if you pull on the handle, the column leading back into the truck is the lock shaft. You can grab this with vice grips or the like and break the lock in a couple seconds. Giving you access to the truck. You can remove the lock completely and rely purely on the fob. Or just trust your insurance will take care of it.
Thanks for the info - I'll have to look into that more.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:53 PM
jimbonnet
Junior User
jimbonnet is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tesla is giving away a model3 if it can be hacked. So all the cool kids are busy with that.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:56 PM
claf
Jedi
claf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Of course it can be hacked. The question you need to ask yourself is how much risk you are willing to assume.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.