1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!! CALLING ALL 5R110W GURUS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:43 PM
Strokinmy3rd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!! CALLING ALL 5R110W GURUS

First off this please let me apologize if I'm doing this wrong I did try to read through most of the rules of the page so I hope that I'm doing this correctly if not hopefully my urgency will excuse my ignorance.. I have a 2006 Ford F-350 with a 6 liter diesel 5r110 W transmission that has been giving me tons of problems here lately the truck has 313409mi on it... my main concern with the truck it's how it will not move in forward or reverse I was it first getting solenoid performance or stuck off codes so I took this to solenoids out bench test done clean them up put them back in that solve that problem now the problem is p0720 in p0722 or it was the problem until I tried to remove the OSS sensor and broke it off inside the transmission I have gotten a new OSS sensor plugged it in but haven't put it into the transmission case yet because the old one is still stuck in there broke off flush with the trans case... I plan on today moving exhaust out of the way for enough to where I can get an eye up on there to remove what's left of the old sensor my biggest question is or can a compromised OSS sensor keep the from moving?? I don't have an IDs vcm2 but I do have trusty old f ORS can and a brief synopsis on how I got to be in the situation I traded my 06 F250 was blown head gaskets in on the 06 F350 already studded and deleted one of the stipulations of the deal was I had to take on any repairs that this truck needed one was obvious that was how it vibrated hard in overdrive but upon closer inspection I saw the truck had aftermarket driveshafts in it so I can cluded them needed me balance was probably the problem hopefully I'm still right on that part... So driving the truck home from the lot coming up 55 North headed towards St Louis from Festus Missouri the truck lost all forward and reverse gears while driving on the highway I coasted to the shoulder of the highway and wouldn't you know it I left my laptop charger at home with it being 3 a.m. not too many people I could call let along people that have a scan tool that could come and bring it to me so I decided to pull both negative battery cables off wait about 10 minutes and the truck fired up and went right into gear like it was no problem drove it for another 20 or so miles home with no more problems for at least a couple weeks then I would notice the trans would start to sort of slip I guess then the tow haul light would flash only one time did this happen when I was able to get a code it was first shift solenoid B D stuck off or performance so pulling the battery cables off worked after about the third time this time drove the truck home put it in park and something just didn't feel right about the engagement in the park so I put it into reverse and nothing pulled the battery cables off nothing then I noticed I didn't have any Drive gears so I left the truck sit overnight with the battery cables unhooked come out the next morning and has Drive gears but no reverse so I grabbed the keys to my dad's GMC 2500 HD and pulled it backwards out of the driveway and to my surprise after one trip around the block the truck again pretty much the same thing happened one more time but the outcome was much different this time in fact it felt like the transmission was slipping very hard until I pulled up into a local apartment complex put the truck in park and then it would not go back into any gear whatsoever no matter what I tried so once again I called upon the GMC to pull me from a bad situation so I got the truck home read the codes the codes were p0720 p0722 and I want to say p0751 if that is indeed the shift solenoid D stuck off or performance code pulled the pan tested SSD tested good so I cleaned it after obviously draining the disgusting fluid that was in the transmission ran one hole cycle of trans fluid throughThe transmission filled it up again and to my surprise the truck went into gear this time so I immediately drove the truck to my local transmission shop put the truck in to park where it would not move so needless to say I walked home grab the Chevrolet and my girlfriend to steer the Ford home as I pulled it home once again this time the truck is throwing codes for ssaand ssd but at least now ik thtssa and ssd are interchageble so after carefully testing them and clean them up I switch them out I then thought that I had filled the transmission up with transmission and it was about two and a half quarts off of work should have been so I ran up to Walmart and grabbed a gallon of Valvoline ATF put it in and what do you know the truck went into gear or so I thought I was being smart because this time I got three-quarters of the way around the block and then the truck lost all gears again so this time after pulling at home and pulling the codes I'm only getting thep0720 and the p0722 and p0500... so now I'm to the point of being totally screwed out of a vehicle and by the way this truck is my only means of transportation at this point and this truck is also how I make living so any and allcomments suggestions pointers hints anything would help at this time would be much and greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-17-2019, 05:30 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ugh....i hate to tell you but Walmart ATF is not the correct fluid for that transmission.
You seem to have alot of issues going on.

You want Mark Kovalasky on this forum to reply. He is the resident ford trans guru.
Should also post this in the 6.0 diesel forum.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 PM
Strokinmy3rd
Freshman User
Originally Posted by LOOnatic
Ugh....i hate to tell you but Walmart ATF is not the correct fluid for that transmission.
You seem to have alot of issues going on.

You want Mark Kovalasky on this forum to reply. He is the resident ford trans guru.
Should also post this in the 6.0 diesel forum.
I apologize I guess I should have told you it was Valvoline Dex Merc LV and yes I have read quite a few articles by Mark actually like to know how to get ahold of him if at all possible

Old 01-17-2019, 07:40 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Strokinmy3rd
I apologize I guess I should have told you it was Valvoline Dex Merc LV and yes I have read quite a few articles by Mark actually like to know how to get ahold of him if at all possible
The transmission is supposed to have SP fluid exclusively. There are a lot of opinions but everything I have read from Ford is SP is the fluid. That being said it may be time for a good flush of the system. SP, it costs more but is the correct fluid.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:04 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
That one huge paragraph is too hard to read.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
bullet points

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Here's what I got out of it:
  • 2006 F350 6.0L 5R110, 313419 miles
  • began with no vehicle motion forward nor reverse, R&R solenoids, truck then will move.
  • New problem, codes P0720 & P0722, maybe also P0751, P0500
  • Broke OSS flush with trans case
  • Festus, Missouri
  • Ran it low on fluid
  • what do I do thanks

Old 01-17-2019, 11:25 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Apologies to the OP but this has to help. It is not perfect buy I think you can understand it a little better.

. I have a 2006 Ford F-350 with a 6 liter diesel and 5r110 W transmission that has been giving me tons of problems here lately. The truck has 313409mi on it. My main concern with the truck it's how it will not move in forward or reverse. I was it first getting solenoid performance or stuck off codes so I took this to solenoids out bench test done clean them up put them back in. That solve that problem. Now the problem is p0720 in p0722 or it was the problem until I tried to remove the OSS sensor and broke it off inside the transmission. I have gotten a new OSS sensor plugged it in but haven't put it into the transmission case yet. The old one is still stuck in there broke off flush with the trans case. I plan on today moving exhaust out of the way for enough to where I can get an eye up on there to remove what's left of the old sensor. My biggest question is or can a compromised OSS sensor keep the transmission the from moving?? I don't have an IDs vcm2 but I do have trusty old f ORS can and a brief synopsis on how I got to be in the situation.

I traded my 06 F250 with blown head gaskets in on the 06 F350 already studded and deleted. One of the stipulations of the deal was I had to take on any repairs that this truck needed. One was obvious that was how it vibrated hard in overdrive but upon closer inspection I saw the truck had aftermarket driveshafts in it. so I concluded they need balanced. So driving the truck home from the lot coming up 55 North headed towards St Louis from Festus Missouri the truck lost all forward and reverse gears while driving on the highway. I coasted to the shoulder of the highway and wouldn't you know it I left my laptop charger at home. With it being 3 a.m. not too many people I could call let along people that have a scan tool that could come and bring it to me. I decided to pull both negative battery cables off and waited about 10 minutes and the truck fired up and went right into gear. I drove it for another 20 or so miles home with no more problems. For at least a couple weeks I would notice the trans would start to sort of slip. I guess then the tow haul light would flash only one time did this happen. When I was able to get a code it was first shift solenoid B D stuck off or performance so pulling the battery cables off worked after about the third time this time I drove the truck home put it in park and something just didn't feel right about the engagement in the park so I put it into reverse and nothing. Pulled the battery cables off. Nothing happened and then I noticed I didn't have any Drive gears so I left the truck sit overnight with the battery cables unhooked. I came out the next morning and it has Drive gears but no reverse.

I grabbed the keys to my dad's GMC 2500 HD and pulled it backwards out of the driveway and to my surprise after one trip around the block the truck againdid pretty much the same thing. It happened one more time but the outcome was much different this time and in fact it felt like the transmission was slipping very hard until I pulled up into a local apartment complex, put the truck in park, and then it would not go back into any gear whatsoever no matter what I tried. So once again I called upon the GMC to pull me from a bad situation and I got the truck home to read the codes. The codes were p0720 p0722 and I want to say p0751 if that is indeed the shift solenoid D stuck off. Or performance code. I pulled the pan and tested SSD. It tested good so I cleaned it after obviously draining the disgusting fluid that was in the transmission and ran one full cycle of trans fluid through it. The transmission filled it up again and to my surprise the truck went into gear this time so I immediately drove the truck to my local transmission shop put the truck into park. It would not move again so needless to say I walked home grabbed the Chevrolet and my girlfriend to steer the Ford home. As I pulled it home once again this time the truck is throwing codes for ssaand ssd but at least now ik thtssa and ssd are interchageble so after carefully testing them and clean them up I switched them out. I then thought that I had filled the transmission up with transmission and it was about two and a half quarts low. I am off of work so I ran up to Walmart and grabbed a gallon of Valvoline ATF put it in and what do you know the truck went into gear or so I thought. I was being smart because this time I got three-quarters of the way around the block and then the truck lost all gears again. So this time after pulling at home and pulling the codes I'm only getting the p0720 and the p0722 and p0500... so now I'm to the point of being totally screwed out of a vehicle and by the way this truck is my only means of transportation at this point and this truck is also how I make living, so any and all comments suggestions pointers hints anything would help at this time would be much and greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-18-2019, 04:37 AM
Strokinmy3rd
Freshman User
Exclamation Mark Kovalsky

I definatly apologize mark.. not trying to complicate anything... just trying to make sure all of the crucial info is in there .. but basically my whole? In all of that is can a bad oss sensor alone keep my truck from moving? And also do the vss and oss sensors run on the same circut? Would make sense for it to throw both codes tht way right? Bcuz what honestly are the chances of both sesors going out at the same time??

Old 01-18-2019, 05:24 AM
CollinsCD
Hotshot
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
That's why I quit reading too!

Old 01-18-2019, 01:36 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Strokinmy3rd
I definatly apologize mark.. not trying to complicate anything... just trying to make sure all of the crucial info is in there .. but basically my whole? In all of that is can a bad oss sensor alone keep my truck from moving? And also do the vss and oss sensors run on the same circut? Would make sense for it to throw both codes tht way right? Bcuz what honestly are the chances of both sesors going out at the same time??
The OSS cannot keep the truck from moving. The OSS and VSS are separate circuits, but I think they share the signal return line. The chances of both going out at once are minimal. The chances of something happening to the wiring that affects both sensors is pretty high.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:25 PM
jimwesselman
New User
SP Fluid

Originally Posted by Fefanatic
The transmission is supposed to have SP fluid exclusively. There are a lot of opinions but everything I have read from Ford is SP is the fluid. That being said it may be time for a good flush of the system. SP, it costs more but is the correct fluid.
It was my understanding that Ford had a TSB updating the SP recommendation to LV! Did I mis-interpret something?

Old 01-22-2019, 05:28 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by jimwesselman
It was my understanding that Ford had a TSB updating the SP recommendation to LV! Did I mis-interpret something?
No, you are correct. Mercon LV is an approved fluid for the 5R110W.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jimwesselman
I went through this with my '06 F53 6.8 transmission. It had issues where it would start out in 3rd and shift to 5th. Tow/haul light blinking. I pulled the pan and didn't find anything to indicate a issue. At that time I bought LV fluid instead of SP and the more research I did the more I thought I made a mistake. Yes, Ford did change recommendation to LV but issues started to happen with those transmissions that had LV in them. Ford did a lot of warranty work because LV was causing issues. It's my understanding the solenoids do not like LV. After reading and a ton of research I bought SP and put the pan back on.

My issue didn't go away and after pulling the transmission we found the retaining ring on the forward/reverse clutch pack had come loose in the transmission case and I had to rebuild it. Again, after reading about LV problems I went with SP. Better to be safe than sorry. JMO

Old 01-26-2019, 05:42 PM
Strokinmy3rd
Freshman User
LV

Originally Posted by Fefanatic
I went through this with my '06 F53 6.8 transmission. It had issues where it would start out in 3rd and shift to 5th. Tow/haul light blinking. I pulled the pan and didn't find anything to indicate a issue. At that time I bought LV fluid instead of SP and the more research I did the more I thought I made a mistake. Yes, Ford did change recommendation to LV but issues started to happen with those transmissions that had LV in them. Ford did a lot of warranty work because LV was causing issues. It's my understanding the solenoids do not like LV. After reading and a ton of research I bought SP and put the pan back on.

My issue didn't go away and after pulling the transmission we found the retaining ring on the forward/reverse clutch pack had come loose in the transmission case and I had to rebuild it. Again, after reading about LV problems I went with SP. Better to be safe than sorry. JMO
well IMO LV Has to be better than this crud tht came out of it

Old 01-26-2019, 08:42 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
You need to find out where that water came from. Check your transmission cooler if it goes into radiator cooling system.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!! CALLING ALL 5R110W GURUS