1950 Ford F5 Tow Truck Perfect for Work or Play - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 Ford F5 Tow Truck Perfect for Work or Play

Old 01-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Curated Content Editor
Elder User
Curated Content Editor has a good reputation on FTE.Curated Content Editor has a good reputation on FTE.

By Brett Foote

A life of hard work has this stunning old Ford looking no worse for wear.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:29 PM
truckdog62563
Post Fiend
truckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant future
Call me disappointed. The below picture and caption show this old wrecker is non-functional. Display only. Before reading the caption I wondered about the boom overhanging as far as it does, and having no mechanism to be raised and lowered. The below explains it. Stu

“Sold as a bedless commercial truck, this particular Ford F5 was fitted with a custom piece from the Butler Manufacturing Company. The original chain-driven PTO-operated towing apparatus was no longer functional, so it's been replaced by a handmade boom that's described as being suitable "for display purposes only."

Old 01-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Ernest Holmes is spinning in his grave.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:56 PM
truckdog62563
Post Fiend
truckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant future
Nothing wrong with a homemade boom. Just make it be functional. Stu

Or restore one as original like this Ashton. I’ve got an Ashton bed and boom for a someday Power Wagon project. Stu

Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor View Post
By Brett Foote

A life of hard work has this stunning old Ford looking no worse for wear.
The "Radio Dispatched" on the hood is like the 70 F350 I owned before I bought my 55 F350:

I never knew why that was on my truck. Was it owned by a delivery company, or a lumber yard? But I never saw any signs of a two-way radio, no hole for an antenna, no screw holes under the dash for the radio, etc.... I thought maybe the hood was from a different truck. But it was cool. And now a fellow Ford lover in my town owns it.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:42 PM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
I actually entertained the idea of buying this and converting the rear deck to a beaver tail car hauler. Seeing as the boom is non-functional, I could find a way to integrate those tear drop fenders, drop a Powerstroke in there...

Old 01-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Cool truck. I'm surprised they didn't do more for the interior.
It's in St. Louis. Maybe BJ will go buy it. They are asking $19,900

https://www.stlouiscarmuseum.com/inv...-f5-tow-truck/

It has a 1970’s Ford 302ci V8 and 4-speed manual transmission

Old 01-18-2019, 11:30 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Wow, that is in bad shape! And it has a 53-56 interior dome light.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:51 PM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
I agree, Abe. Seems like a lot of money for a rough unfinished interior with a basic 302 power train and non-functional boom.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
What I see here is some lipstick and a flipper. And you know what I think of flippers.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mixer man View Post
What I see here is some lipstick and a flipper. And you know what I think of flippers.
Oh great, now I'm thinking of Daryl Hanna and the movie Splash. Not sure where that came from, I haven't seen that movie in 20-30 years.
yeah, my mind works funny.

I agree, trying to flip it. Makes you wonder how solid the steel is. Also, aren't those widowmakers?

Old 01-18-2019, 02:51 PM
truckdog62563
Post Fiend
Outer rears are locking side ring type, and fronts might be also. Stu

Old 01-18-2019, 03:41 PM
TitusDH
Senior User
TitusDH has a good reputation on FTE.TitusDH has a good reputation on FTE.
But all flaws aside, the lights collection is quite impressive.....

and I see a Firestone heater, exactly the one I have, too.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:55 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
Almost bought this one about seven years, probably good that I didn't. It was at a local implement dealer auction. It was complete from front bumper to rear including the big radio unit taking up the complete foot area in the cab. The engine was the big 337 and was loose. It was down to me and a scrap dealer. Scrap dealer had deeper pockets than me and it sold for $200.

I wish I wouldn't have been so broke at the time. I even had a friend offer to deliver it free using his flatbed semi.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:17 PM
ReForder
Elder User
I'm actually having a tough time thinking that's the same truck. There seems to be a lot more rot on that truck you pictures, and I find it hard to believe that the "restorer" would only ask $19K for their truck if they had to do THAT much work to it.

Thought it would make sense that the boom is a prop, and they just plopped in a readily available 302. But I would think the interior of the truck you pictured would be even worse off than the one they are selling.

Not trying to me a jerk here, just trying to piece things together.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.