Bricknose radio/HVAC control panel swap - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Bricknose radio/HVAC control panel swap

Old 01-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Big_Red_Brute
Senior User
Big_Red_Brute is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bricknose radio/HVAC control panel swap

Ok, so I know it can- and has- been done, but I'm looking for some info on how to swap the location of the radio with the HVAC control panel on an 87-91 F-150. I want to install a flip-up screen deck, and I think it would look and work better in the upper location. Just looking for some tips or tricks that might make the job easier. TIA

Old 01-17-2019, 07:44 PM
Da_Lariat_Chariot
Elder User
Da_Lariat_Chariot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You can't really, there's a whole lot of mechanical levers attached to the HVAC unit. Relocating it would cause problems operating it.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Senior User
Apparently it can be done.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:21 PM
technobabble
Freshman User
technobabble is starting off with a positive reputation.
I walked out to garage to take a peek at mine, since I have the dash half torn apart. Just going from observation, the levers and such appear to be cable driven with room to move. Electrical doesn't appear to be an issue. Only issue I see is the metal radio bracket right below it. May have to cut a little on it to make room, but it is very possible that the whole piece will drop right into the hole. But I would have to say it doesn't appear to be a major undertaking to move that down a few inches ... but again this is strickly from observation. Let me know how it goes, I might do mine ;-)

Old 01-17-2019, 11:33 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Senior User
Originally Posted by technobabble View Post
I walked out to garage to take a peek at mine, since I have the dash half torn apart. Just going from observation, the levers and such appear to be cable driven with room to move. Electrical doesn't appear to be an issue. Only issue I see is the metal radio bracket right below it. May have to cut a little on it to make room, but it is very possible that the whole piece will drop right into the hole. But I would have to say it doesn't appear to be a major undertaking to move that down a few inches ... but again this is strickly from observation. Let me know how it goes, I might do mine ;-)
Since you have yours apart right now, could you take a pic of the area in question and send it to me? I would rather study this in the warmth of my house for a little bit, before I venture out into the artic garage to actually try it lol

Old 01-18-2019, 01:23 AM
technobabble
Freshman User
technobabble is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sure thing. Here ya go. Upon looking a little closer, it does appear that this will clear the radio bracket underneath ... it's close though. The mounting hole spacing is different from the radio's, so you will have to drill new holes.

Left side

Right side

Under

Radio Bracket

Old 01-18-2019, 08:20 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Big_Red_Brute View Post
Apparently it can be done.
That looks awful but itís your truck......

Old 01-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Senior User
Originally Posted by technobabble View Post
Sure thing. Here ya go. Upon looking a little closer, it does appear that this will clear the radio bracket underneath ... it's close though. The mounting hole spacing is different from the radio's, so you will have to drill new holes.

Left side

Right side

Under

Radio Bracket
Thanks buddy, I appreciate it. It does look like there would have to be some modifications made in order for it to work. Just from looking at the pictures, it does look like the lower mounting tabs on the HVAC controls may have to be removed in order for it to fit. I would have to actually try it in my own dash in order to see if I'm right. I'll let you know for sure if I actually do it.

Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks View Post

That looks awful but itís your truck......
Just wondering, what do you think looks so awful about it?

Old 01-18-2019, 10:01 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just wondering, what do you think looks so awful about it?
I donít like the flip up screen. To be fair I donít like the way a lot of new cars have large touch screen controls. Do you think the HVAC controls wil still be easy to access?

Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Senior User
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks View Post

I donít like the flip up screen. To be fair I donít like the way a lot of new cars have large touch screen controls. Do you think the HVAC controls wil still be easy to access?
Fair enough. I don't know that I will do it 100%, but it is something I am considering. I actually like the large screens in the dash, especially if they're hooked up to a backup camera. My 2011 F-150 has the backup camera in the rearview mirror, and I don't really like it there. My bosses 2015 F-150 has it in the dash, and I love the larger screen. I don't have plans of hooking a backup camera to this one, but I just like the idea of a flip-up screen, and having something a little different from everyone else. Plus, a touch screen can be easier to use than the small buttons they have on the stereos these days.
As far as if the HVAC controls will still be easy to access- well- is the radio easy to access in that location? Personally I think it would be easier to access the HVAC controls down low than it is to access the radio. And considering this isn't a daily driver where I would be using them allot, that part doesn't matter. If anything, having the stereo easier to access would mean more to me than that.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:29 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
Fair enough. I don't know that I will do it 100%, but it is something I am considering. I actually like the large screens in the dash, especially if they're hooked up to a backup camera. My 2011 F-150 has the backup camera in the rearview mirror, and I don't really like it there. My bosses 2015 F-150 has it in the dash, and I love the larger screen. I don't have plans of hooking a backup camera to this one, but I just like the idea of a flip-up screen, and having something a little different from everyone else. Plus, a touch screen can be easier to use than the small buttons they have on the stereos these days.
As far as if the HVAC controls will still be easy to access- well- is the radio easy to access in that location? Personally I think it would be easier to access the HVAC controls down low than it is to access the radio. And considering this isn't a daily driver where I would be using them allot, that part doesn't matter. If anything, having the stereo easier to access would mean more to me than that.
My Mother has a Fusion with a backup camera. I donít use it. The car still has mirrors so I can see where Iím going so why would I be looking at the center of the dashboard at an image of the back of the car instead of outside the vehicle where I can also actually see the sides of the car?

For some reason manufacturers use the same button for the controls. My car has different shaped buttons for radio presets vs other functions so I donít really need to look at what Iím doing. I can go by feel to change the preset station or hit the search or whatever. With her car having a touch screen I find myself looking down at the screen to find what Iím looking for. I suppose Iíd get used to it if I drove it all the time.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:17 PM
timbersteel
Postmaster
timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.
I agree with My4fordtrucks. I'm not a huge fan of the massive screens car manufacturer's have installed in vehicles. All of that is bell and whistles.
They have dumb downed common sense in sparkles and frills. I drive my girlfriends car and I still do the neck turned, hands over the passenger seat to back-up. Maybe I'll change one day, but I can't see how the camera helps anyone pull out into oncoming traffic.

Just my $.02.

The radio would be a cool addition but going to far with crazy electronics would be overboard.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:42 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Senior User
Originally Posted by timbersteel View Post
I agree with My4fordtrucks. I'm not a huge fan of the massive screens car manufacturer's have installed in vehicles. All of that is bell and whistles.
They have dumb downed common sense in sparkles and frills. I drive my girlfriends car and I still do the neck turned, hands over the passenger seat to back-up. Maybe I'll change one day, but I can't see how the camera helps anyone pull out into oncoming traffic.

Just my $.02.

The radio would be a cool addition but going to far with crazy electronics would be overboard.

Let us know what you decide to do.
When I bought my 2011 it came with the rear view camera. It wasn't something I really wanted, but now that I have it, I do like it. It comes in handy in tight parking lots, and when trying to hook up to a trailer without a spotter.

Again, I doubt that I would ever put a rear view camera on this truck. That's not the main reason I want to install a flip screen stereo. I want to do it more for looks than anything else. And I'm still hoping someone who has done it will chime in, as the weather has been pretty nasty here, and I haven't wanted to venture down to my garage to start tearing into things.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Eddiec1564
Postmaster
Eddiec1564 has a great reputation on FTE.Eddiec1564 has a great reputation on FTE.Eddiec1564 has a great reputation on FTE.Eddiec1564 has a great reputation on FTE.
You need to research a "double DIN" radio install. I have seen them installed in the 87 to 91 trucks before, but never looked on how it was done. From what I see in my dash area, you will be doing some mods to the dash. Just beware, that plastic is brittle from age.

By the way, the photo above is a single DIN radio with a fold out screen. It will work with out dash mods.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:08 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Senior User
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564 View Post
You need to research a "double DIN" radio install. I have seen them installed in the 87 to 91 trucks before, but never looked on how it was done. From what I see in my dash area, you will be doing some mods to the dash. Just beware, that plastic is brittle from age.

By the way, the photo above is a single DIN radio with a fold out screen. It will work with out dash mods.
That's what I'm thinking of doing, a single DIN with a flip-up screen. Not looking to do a double DIN, I don't want to molest my dash to do one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.