Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tappety sound on new 5L engine

Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Posting Guru
Big-Red-Lariat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tappety sound on new 5L engine

So I took delivery on a new Lariat today with a 5L engine. Upon inspecting the running motor, we hear a click-click tappety noise. Service mgr says a software update usually cures it, so they do the update, it goes away and when I leave the dealership it comes back. Is this normal break in or do we have a problem here? Minus 10 degrees today. Cold weather related maybe (hopefully?).

Old 01-16-2019, 09:33 PM
bedwards
Senior User
bedwards is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 5.0 is (tappier) hashier than other engines mainly when cold and outside listening or with the window down. I just attribute it to injector noise. With the window up, its hard to tell its running when its warmed up.
Upon edit, I'm coming from a diesel so yes, its very quiet to me. =]

Old 01-16-2019, 11:23 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
There is 16 injectors. They are not quiet, they do make the typical click sound. Just depends on if the pcm is demanding high or low pressure injectors.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 PM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine sounds like crap, most of the time. Iím familiar with injectors, but it goes from a loud knock to a deep bang, and is most quiet when cold. I believe itís part and parcel with the oil burning/loss issue, but the dealer says itís normal. Itís got to 55,000, and then Iíll worry no more. This is the loudest V-8 Iíve ever owned. Iíd welcome the click if the injectors of my last sewing machine 3,5L EcoBoost, or my smooth 6.7L Stroke. This 5.0L is embarrassing when sitting at an idle.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Direct injection I'm guessing.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 AM
GABAR
Posting Guru
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
I second this.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:21 PM
jimmy-six
Elder User
jimmy-six has a good reputation on FTE.jimmy-six has a good reputation on FTE.
Me too. And I'll agree, this is the noisest Ford I've ever owned.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:35 PM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
Hmmmm. Well, Iíve never heard another DI sound like this. Disappointing.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM
TJReams
Posting Guru
TJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to behold
I have the 2018 5.0 and it is louder than the current diesel idleing! like Jimmy six said all my push rod engines were quieter.
TJ

Old 01-18-2019, 10:15 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
It's not just the DI that's loud, the low pressure injectors are also rather loud. These engines have two injectors per cylinder and the engine cycles between both, the 5.0 is a loud engine.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 AM
TJReams
Posting Guru
TJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to behold
What was bugging me was after accerating from a stop up to about 30-35 letting up on the gas and hearing a pop, almost like a backfire though a carburater. I found out it was the baffle flap that changes the intake runners from long to short or vice versa.
TJ

Old 01-18-2019, 10:42 AM
ealopez
Junior User
ealopez is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TJReams View Post
What was bugging me was after accerating from a stop up to about 30-35 letting up on the gas and hearing a pop, almost like a backfire though a carburater. I found out it was the baffle flap that changes the intake runners from long to short or vice versa.
TJ
So that's the pop that I hear too. It sure does sound like a backfire.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:59 AM
CR172
Elder User
CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.
After reading this thread, I sure am glad I have the last gen 5.0. Mine is nice and quiet.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:27 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
It's not just the DI that's loud, the low pressure injectors are also rather loud. These engines have two injectors per cylinder and the engine cycles between both, the 5.0 is a loud engine.
I assume the injectors is the clickety clickety sound we have all heard since FI came out, right? Like a loud typewriter? Whst is this the ball peen hammer knocking on the block I can hear? Something else related to direct injection? Just trying to understand if this is an issue. On a new oil change itís quiet. By 1,200 miles, itís like a soft brass hammer is knocking on the block. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:57 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
What you described has been an issue for years, lots of us have noticed after a oil change its quiet for the first few hundred miles then it's back to making noise. The only evidence over the years as to why is in the UOA's. It appears there is a direct correlation to the HTHS of the oil film and once it settles down from near 2.9 to 2.7 the is audible noise. However there isn't a uptick in wear metal so it's not causing harm. Best thing I have found and lots of us use it is Liqui Moly MoS2 friction treatment. Been using that since early 2000's and it does cut the noise and the baseline wear trends are a few points lower than average.

Over the years the noises have become louder, mostly because the aluminum blocks and heads echo and are thinner than the cast iron blocks. To make it worse is the cylinder sleeves were removed and plasma wire was used instead in the revised 5.0. Compound that with 16 fuel injectors and a new Bosch HPFP and the noise starts to sound odd. Then you put IMRC to alter the intake air and a rather high pressure set of port injectors all being driven through a returnless FPDM and you can't pinpoint all the noises.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: