Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Tappety sound on new 5L engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:11 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Thanks, Gashog.
Sounds logical, and you certainly have the background music on the engine.
It is just a sad deal. All the hype on the 5.0L over the EcoBoost like it’s the engine God drives, and it’s been disappointing for me. Probably because mine runs on engine oil and gas. Well, in fairness, no one knows where the oil goes. No blue smoke. No burning. No smell. Just seems to vanish. In 20k, I venture there are about 10 quarts held up in the flux capacitor somewhere waiting to be drained.
Apparently, Ford has no history on this new 5.0L, but is watching it. My dealer hopes by 60k, they will figure it out... like the 2.7L burning oil off in the valve covers. I only gave concern that the noises are part and parcel to some ailment vaporizing my oil between changes.
Thanks for the information!

Old 01-18-2019, 01:17 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Take the PCV hose off and look inside, is it wet? The PCV on these engines is horrible and sucks oil. A oil catch can is advisable. The PCV valves are also a known culprit, the pin and ball have various levels of tolerance. I have replaced lots of them that flowed at the high limits and sucked oil. But wasn't enough to set a CEL. The PCV is cheap to replace at about 9.00 from ford and worth a try.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:26 PM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been looking at the catch cans. Which catch can do we want to get? The Ford one says not for the 2018 5.0 but maybe I just read it wrong.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:35 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
The only issue that I've heard of with an oil catch can is if you live in a freezing climate (don't think Brentwood CA sees much freezing weather) and don't empty the can regularly, you can potentially damage the engine. It can recover the oil that is in any blow-by, which could be an invisible sort of oil loss.

It might be more of an issue with a turbo'd engine (like the EcoBoost) because of the higher combustion pressures, but the 5.0 could have an issue as well; especially when it's relatively new (or old).

Old 01-18-2019, 03:04 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

I don't see how cold weather could hinder a catch can? It's just a baffled can with a open inlet and outlet at the top.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:19 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
I don't see how cold weather could hinder a catch can? It's just a baffled can with a open inlet and outlet at the top.
I didn't make that up. I've just read in various places that freezing weather can cause issues if it's not serviced. There is probably a small amount of water vapor in the blow by. Problems with freezing probably means that the water vapor can freeze and start blocking things up. It doesn't (to me) sound like too big a deal if you check the catch can once a month or so.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:58 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Catch cans for 2018 F150 5.0 are written up here, do a search. I have a Ford Performance oil separator for a 5.0 Mustang on mine since new. If you go to You Tube 2018 Ford F-150 oil separator you will find many. Mine are under James Tone. You read everything I did including part #'s if you read it all. The responses vary from thanks to you are wasting money.

NUMBER 1.... THIS IS ILLEGAL. YOU CANNOT TAMPER WITH EMISSION SYSTEMS BY FEDERAL LAW.

All my cars have them anyway. I remove the when servicing and each time there is oil in the reservoirs.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:26 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Thanks guys. I’ll check for oil in the hose, and then see if it’s indicating need for a catch can. You think Ford would have figured this out by now.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:25 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by smokewagun
Thanks guys. I’ll check for oil in the hose, and then see if it’s indicating need for a catch can. You think Ford would have figured this out by now.
While you are there remove the PCV and swap it. The PCV OS cheaper than a catch can. Good news every dealer will have that PCV as a stocked item.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smokewagun: It isn't whether Ford or any other manufacturer could figure it out. In 1960 when this was discussed with engineers (1961 was the first year for them and mandatory in 62 as I remember) they said "PCV actually stood for Positively Contaminating Valves" and it has remained that way since. With advent of tuned port technology with long intake runners and a throttle body instead of a centrally located carburetor which could easily mix with the oil vapors the PCV hose was connected direct behind the throttle plate to disperse the vapor to all intake runners
Now the injectors were placed at the end of the runner or in the combustion chamber, DI, so the vapor was burned but not at the rate it once was under a carb causing intake runner contamination.
Direct injection is the worst were it has no choice but to stick to a hot valve that never gets fuel wash, Fords election to put in dual injectors was a godsend to whats coming down the road for any DI engine.
Factory "Racing" oil separators for off road use only will be serviced because racers are racers and not "joe blows" who normally don't give a s--t about maintenance. PCV valves are part of regular maintenance and since they are nearing 60 years of service are well known. Car guys/gear heads will service these and have them cause they want them.
Vapors to the atmosphere is the best for the engine but not for the environment.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:30 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Well, I pulled the hose off the valve cover at the valve, and it was an oily mess. Not dripping or anything like that, but the hose and fittings had used oil all over it. I guess I’ll get a new valve and may just put in a catch can. I lose over a quart and a half in 5,000 miles, so I’d like to try the can only as a science experiment if nothing else. But, I’m not tossing in a new valve until I can keep it clean by catching the oil. I just checked the oil at 1,200 miles, and it’s a quart low now, so why it changes so variably I have no idea, but maybe this catch can will shed some light. I can only imagine at 20,000 miles what the intake looks like.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:20 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by smokewagun
Well, I pulled the hose off the valve cover at the valve, and it was an oily mess. Not dripping or anything like that, but the hose and fittings had used oil all over it. I guess I’ll get a new valve and may just put in a catch can. I lose over a quart and a half in 5,000 miles, so I’d like to try the can only as a science experiment if nothing else. But, I’m not tossing in a new valve until I can keep it clean by catching the oil. I just checked the oil at 1,200 miles, and it’s a quart low now, so why it changes so variably I have no idea, but maybe this catch can will shed some light. I can only imagine at 20,000 miles what the intake looks like.
Swap a new PCV in you may not need a catch can. Read my post above, the PCV valves have terrible tolerances and some flow too much.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:22 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmy-six
Smokewagun: It isn't whether Ford or any other manufacturer could figure it out. In 1960 when this was discussed with engineers (1961 was the first year for them and mandatory in 62 as I remember) they said "PCV actually stood for Positively Contaminating Valves" and it has remained that way since. With advent of tuned port technology with long intake runners and a throttle body instead of a centrally located carburetor which could easily mix with the oil vapors the PCV hose was connected direct behind the throttle plate to disperse the vapor to all intake runners
Now the injectors were placed at the end of the runner or in the combustion chamber, DI, so the vapor was burned but not at the rate it once was under a carb causing intake runner contamination.
Direct injection is the worst were it has no choice but to stick to a hot valve that never gets fuel wash, Fords election to put in dual injectors was a godsend to whats coming down the road for any DI engine.
Factory "Racing" oil separators for off road use only will be serviced because racers are racers and not "joe blows" who normally don't give a s--t about maintenance. PCV valves are part of regular maintenance and since they are nearing 60 years of service are well known. Car guys/gear heads will service these and have them cause they want them.
Vapors to the atmosphere is the best for the engine but not for the environment.
BINGO!!! You win! I'm not sure what you win, but Ford is following Toyota and adding back a Port Injector to cure the CARBON build up, on the back of intake valves... That pretty much all DI engines with PCV intact, will get - some sooner than later, but it is ONLY a matter of time: not an IF, it's a WHEN... Just Google DI and intake valves... Or take a look at the Chevy forums or Dodge forums or (gasp) VW, Audi or BMW forums... And they all talk about catch cans...

Wish they could do the same for the diesels, no simple fix there, EGR is as big a problem as PCV....

Old 01-19-2019, 07:40 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Swap a new PCV in you may not need a catch can. Read my post above, the PCV valves have terrible tolerances and some flow too much.
THANK YOU!
Ill give a ve PCV a shot. The dealer can’t seem to think of anything except losing that much oil is “normal”.
I suspect after seeing the oil dripping in the tube, this is the problem.
I REALLY appreciate the help. I was hoping to pass this truck to my son next year, but after I started losing so much oil, I decided it was going to ho bye bye before the warranty ran out.
Heres hoping.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:04 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
I agree with Jimmy Six,, and followed his thread ,installing the ford oil catch can. I installed one on my Bronco years back .When I rebuilt my 300 -6 cylinder in my 85-F150 - (2012) I installed a no pcv system.. After installing a home made coffee can and seeing all the blow by , I Knew THEN why my Bronco Throttle body was filthy .So I purchased one for my Bronco .All my trucks have them .On my 2018, I used the battery box with wing nuts and as him ,take if off before it goes back to the dealer .TR

Quick Reply: Tappety sound on new 5L engine