Which Truck should I buy. Modified used or New Ordered? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Which Truck should I buy. Modified used or New Ordered?

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Joe T
Elder User
Joe T is starting off with a positive reputation.

So while I am waiting for my ordered truck my buddy ran across a buddy getting out from under his payment on a used truck:

Ordered Truck: 2019 Magma Red Platinum 6.7L all the options the used truck has PLUS rapid heat, vinyl floors, 5th wheel prep, console safe, marsala color interior. I will do a BDS leveling kit and 295/65/20s and do the multi color ambient lighting they quit doing in 2017 . $68,200. Add $2000 for the tires and lift and pain in the *** fixing the ambient lighting.

Used truck is a 2017 with 13K miles, and same Platinum Ulitimate 4x4 Elocker but in the same Tri Platinum white as the truck I just sold.
It has a very nice aftermarket sound system in it (no cut panels and stock head unit), fuel wheels and some 37" R/T whatever tires with 5K miles and a BDS coil over 4 inch suspension (looks like the long arm type). No gooseneck prep, no vinyl (can live without), black interior (can live with), no rapid heat (the reason I ordered the other truck). $65,000. It has rock chips in the front bumper as the only damage. He will throw in the stock wheels, suspension, and a set of 22's with 35's that are pretty new.

If he takes off the lift and 37s he will sell it for $59,500.

Anyway, don't know how I feel about the lifted bro truck and the potential of taking out clients has me kinda thinking no. Also the same color as the F150 chrome package Lariat I just sold. On the other hand I could probably keep it one year and sell it for little loss if I don't like it. I wouldn't mind using my conventional tow 14K equipment trailer and selling my Gooseneck (may be a good excuse to get rid of stuff).

Obviously the used one is a bad *** set up with the 37s and coil overs. The new one is precisely what I want and at minimum would keep it a few years as it won't be driven much.

Gonna need to sleep on it and ask around.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:25 PM
BillyE
Elder User
BillyE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I wouldn’t even consider the used truck. The one you ordered is exactly what you want. The modified one is likely to give you problems....out of warranty problems... I wouldn’t touch a modded truck to be honest. Just me.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:35 PM
BowtieConvert
Elder User
BowtieConvert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you're getting an $80k (sticker) new truck for $68.2k I wouldn't even consider the used truck. My '18 stickered for a little north of $80k and I paid a bit more than $68.2K ($73k). Sounds like you're getting a hell of a deal. Go new, young man!

Old 01-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Navistar86
Freshman User
Navistar86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
New. No contest

Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 PM
maxum96
Senior User
maxum96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BillyE View Post
I wouldn’t even consider the used truck. The one you ordered is exactly what you want. The modified one is likely to give you problems....out of warranty problems... I wouldn’t touch a modded truck to be honest. Just me.
This was the very reason I didn't buy a used Super Duty and ordered my 2019 F350. Too many people mod their Super Duty trucks and end up with problems. I didn't want someone else's problems.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:05 PM
PentaPop
Elder User
PentaPop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The used trucks are selling for so much money that the incentive for buying used is gone. I’d wait for the new one!

Old 01-16-2019, 10:17 PM
sc954rr
Junior User
sc954rr is starting off with a positive reputation.
The price for used trucks is insane, for a little bit more just get the ordered one exactly they way you want it.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:25 AM
kendall69
Senior User
kendall69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hate lifted Trucks. I hate used trucks. That's my answer

Old 01-17-2019, 12:33 AM
derblott
New User
derblott is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah is this a serious question? A modded, out of warranty, 2017 truck with a silly *** lift and tires and god knows what kind of death wobble vs a brand new truck configured exactly like you want for just 3k more that’s 15k off sticker?

get outta here....come on? Really?

Old 01-17-2019, 06:31 AM
Poncho450
Posting Guru
Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by PentaPop View Post
The used trucks are selling for so much money that the incentive for buying used is gone. I’d wait for the new one!
I guess I'm out of touch with reality or just am not up to date as I haven't truck shopped since I got my 2017 new 8/28/17. But $65k for a used F250? Especially one with rock chips on the bumper and suspension mods?
As far as I'm concerned I'm not paying extra for someone else's mods. Important to them maybe but not to me. Try seeing if a dealer will give you extra for that stuff on a trade. I know everyone does it, but I was never hot on changing suspension/driveline geometry for long term use.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:02 AM
Joe T
Elder User
Yeah yall are right. I was thinking the coil over setup may be worth a try but I’ll just wait.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:06 AM
RGPolo
Senior User
RGPolo is starting off with a positive reputation.
IMO, modifying a 70K truck depreciates it.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 AM
sfdvisuals
New User
sfdvisuals is starting off with a positive reputation.
I drive a lifted 2019 F350 platinum, have always modified trucks as I don't like stock. You just need to understand the consequences of doing so. I find a large benefit in knowing exactly what was done to the truck and being able to review it from the first few miles put on it. With that, I have also owned used trucks that I modified after the fact and never had an issue through 200K+ miles. My take on it all, especially with the minor differences in used vs new on the Platinum diesels, I see little advantage to buying used unless you are already pushing the limits on budget, in which case, to each their own. If you are spending so much money (relative I suppose) on a vehicle, don't compromise if you don't want to.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:44 AM
CBEllis
Senior User
CBEllis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by derblott View Post
Yeah is this a serious question? A modded, out of warranty, 2017 truck with a silly *** lift and tires and god knows what kind of death wobble vs a brand new truck configured exactly like you want for just 3k more that’s 15k off sticker?

get outta here....come on? Really?
You know every single person reading this thread is thinking these exact words...

Old 01-17-2019, 08:03 AM
Joe T
Elder User
Well its at least $10,000 in stuff and had me thinking.

I could also buy his lift and tires for $5000. I haven't had a “bro” truck in 5-6 years.

I may just low ball him on the lift. I already asked if he would back up to my goseneck.

But then again, I don’t think I want a bro truck.... not young enough and not close enough to middle age. I’ll probably stick with the conscious and my gut.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.