Dodge and Cummins play catchup... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Dodge and Cummins play catchup...

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Elder User
RenoHuskerDu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

....to the Super Duty and Scorpion motor. Compacted iron block, boxed frame, stronger con-rods, trying like the dickens to catch up to Ford.

Now if only they could make Rams as reliable as Fords. I've met a lot of guys who just had problem after problem with their Ram trucks.

I still wish Ford made a mega-cab truck, the only reason to consider a Dodge imho.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
There's a huge thread on this already, looks like they moved it to general. It devolves all the way into SR-71s, should check it out lol.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1568925-ram-1-000-lbs-torque.html

Old 01-16-2019, 10:30 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Elder User
Sho nuff, it even devolved into electric trucks. Hope this one stays here and SD-specific. The other focuses on that torque figure from Cummins.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 PM
Joe T
Elder User
Joe T is starting off with a positive reputation.
So many limiting nannies set in the computer you can't use all that power. Even on the Ford and Chevy.

But great for guys that will program and don't care about warranty

Old 01-16-2019, 11:11 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu View Post

I still wish Ford made a mega-cab truck, the only reason to consider a Dodge imho.
The Ford crew cab is equal to and larger in some aspects for interior room.

Ram MegaCab
INTERIOR
Front head room 41"
Rear head room 40"
Front shoulder room 66"
Rear shoulder room 66"
Front hip room 63"
Rear hip room 63"
Front leg room 41.0"
Rear leg room 43.3"

Ford F-250-550 Crew Cab specs
INTERIOR
Front head room 41"
Rear head room 40"
Front shoulder room 67"
Rear shoulder room 66"
Front hip room 63"
Rear hip room 65"
Front leg room 43.9"
Rear leg room 43.6"

Old 01-16-2019, 11:33 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Elder User
Thanks for those measurements.
I test drove a couple recent used MegaCabs and noticed all kinds of little stuff was broken inside. Seat adjusters, door handles, locks, it did not give me an impression of quality, and there were rattles everywhere. So I bought a Ford 2017 cc (since traded up to a 2018). My teen boys are tall and fit fine in the back. The only advantage we don't have is the tool&rifle space behind the back seats, and reclining back seats. I don't think Ramboxes come on HD trucks, afaik, but that would be nice to have in a Ford.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:19 AM
willynilly
Senior User
willynilly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
wish i had crystal ball. wonder if new ram will have chronic death wobble like ford

Old 01-17-2019, 01:05 AM
cdnfireman
Senior User
cdnfireman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by willynilly View Post
wish i had crystal ball. wonder if new ram will have chronic death wobble like ford
wont matter....the Fiat won’t run long enough to find out. But you can say “it’s got a cummINGS”.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 AM
Boilermaker374
Senior User
Boilermaker374 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by willynilly View Post
Just another fine example of the resident trolling FCA fanboy..... I wonder if the new FCA offering will continue with the chronic transmission problems...

Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Strokin-A-2010 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Trust me Ford is far from being reliable compared to a Ram. Both trucks are great trucks but one isn't superior than the other especially in the reliability department.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 AM
KCJackson1
Senior User
KCJackson1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu View Post
....to the Super Duty and Scorpion motor. Compacted iron block, boxed frame, stronger con-rods, trying like the dickens to catch up to Ford.

Now if only they could make Rams as reliable as Fords. I've met a lot of guys who just had problem after problem with their Ram trucks.

https://youtu.be/9x418FgnJOA
Ram has used a boxed frame since 2003. It was Ford who caught up there.

As for problems... every brand will make trucks that aren't up to snuff. My 2005 has just one issue that's annoying, with the AC draining its refrigerant (an unfortunate electronics programming flaw of that generation). Unlike my 96, my 05 has never experienced Death Wobble, and the Cummins in both trucks has been flawless. My two F-150s... I could write a book. But it's a machine from an assembly line and not every truck that rolls out of the factory will be 100%.

The MegaCab is nice if you need the behind-seat storage, but then you are left with a huge C-pillar to block over-the-shoulder vision and the short 6'4" bed. Every cab design is a compromise of something.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:32 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Boilermaker374 View Post
Just another fine example of the resident trolling FCA fanboy..... I wonder if the new FCA offering will continue with the chronic transmission problems...
Is there a way to vote him off the island? He's getting repetitive.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:48 AM
willynilly
Senior User
willynilly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Boilermaker374 View Post
naw ive had all kinds of vehicles and drive what suits me at the time. far as i know ford never made hd sport package until 2019 and that was a huge mistake imo, since alot of us refuse to have a bunch of chrome. they also dont have a dedicated hd offroad model which is another huge mistake imo. why should i have to spend thousands after the fact for winches, lockers, off road suspension

Old 01-17-2019, 09:50 AM
titus_4
New User
titus_4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The reclining seat of the Mega is really nice. The only time I was able to benefit from them was on our yearly snowmobile trip. That being said, I ordered a SD. 51 weeks with the SD was worth more than the 1 week with a Mega. Personally, I never had any complaints with my Dodges/Rams. After already having a 4th gen, I didn't really want to buy another truck that looked the same. The sport package offered by Ford this year was what really helped convert me. Just need the truck to show up now.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:57 AM
MooManChu
Junior User
MooManChu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
The Ford crew cab is equal to and larger in some aspects for interior room.

Ram MegaCab
INTERIOR
Front head room 41"
Rear head room 40"
Front shoulder room 66"
Rear shoulder room 66"
Front hip room 63"
Rear hip room 63"
Front leg room 41.0"
Rear leg room 43.3"

Ford F-250-550 Crew Cab specs
INTERIOR
Front head room 41"
Rear head room 40"
Front shoulder room 67"
Rear shoulder room 66"
Front hip room 63"
Rear hip room 65"
Front leg room 43.9"
Rear leg room 43.6"

X2,

I was dead set on buying whatever gave my rear passengers the most leg room and was shocked when I saw this. All good for me because I didnt really want to go from a F150 with zero problems to a Ram HD.

The only benefit I see for the megacab is the rear seats recline a bit. big deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.