Made room for Bypass oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made room for Bypass oil filter

2001 Ford Lariat 150 5.4 engine

While at the wrecking yard I picked up a smaller windshield washer tank ~ smaller than the large Ford OEM tank ```

The smaller tank will make room for the Bypass Oil Filter ```

I would like to find an "Oil Port" to tap off a small amount of oil, 1/16" restricted fitting will be put in line to the Filter ```

Question: Re: there is an Oil Port on the front of the head on the passenger side of the engine ( I've read ) Will the bleed of 1/16" for the filter ~ will this starve the other side of the engine (the valve train) or is there a goodly amount of oil at that point ```

I'd rather tap off at some port than use a sandwich adapter behind the OEM filter ```

Thank you

Last edited by Richard S; 01-16-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: k
Old 01-20-2019, 02:27 PM
carbonation
Mountain Pass
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Most bypass installs tee off the oil pressure sender. There will be plenty of oil and pressure there. Return is plumbed to the oil fill cap or a valve cover using a hollow bolt of some kind. AMSOIL makes a through bolt with a swivel for oil caps, valve covers get a generic transmission pan drain plug installed.
What filter are you installing?

Old 01-21-2019, 04:54 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by carbonation
Most bypass installs tee off the oil pressure sender. There will be plenty of oil and pressure there. Return is plumbed to the oil fill cap or a valve cover using a hollow bolt of some kind. AMSOIL makes a through bolt with a swivel for oil caps, valve covers get a generic transmission pan drain plug installed.
What filter are you installing?
Carbonation Greeting and thanks for coming by ~ I use to in stall them ~ ( Frantz Filters ) at the oil sender port ~ Now that the sender port are mostly in difficult locations ~ I have been using Sandwich Adapters placed under the OEM Filter ```

Question : I have gotten the impression that on the Ford Triton the oil travels: First through the left head ~ Then to the right head ~ is that so,do you know, or have I gotten the wrong impression ```

Oil taken from the left side head will travel less than 2' to the filter ~ oil taken for the area of the OEM filter with travel from the other side of the engine ~ do you know the path the oil takes from the Oil Pump ```

thank you

Richard

Old 01-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
Old 01-22-2019, 08:56 AM
carbonation
Mountain Pass
Found this, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-4-triton.html.
There is a complete oiling diagram over on the F150 Forum.
Google it.
Looks like in both cases, the oiling system feeds the heads at the same time, not daisy chain.
The pressure sender is right by the filter, I would still tee off of it. Are you installing a Frantz?
New Frantz, vintage, or awesome Ed Greeny Frantz Oil Refiner?

Old 01-24-2019, 01:32 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
carbonation greetings ~ I've collected a few over the years ~ this one is a Frantz (made by SKY) during that period ~ same as I've installed on both daughters cars ```

Sure would be sweet and simple if I could come off the port ~ front of the head on passengers side ~ the oil line would be less than 2' long ~ but I can't find out if ~ bringing of a line restricted to 1/16" would be taking too much and starve the upper head, valve train and cam area ~ I've never worked these engines ~ it would be nice if a line mechanic here would say a few words as to this ```

Frantz use to sell his filter at the Roadium Drive in Flee Market $24.00 installed ```

Thanks for the Link

Old 01-25-2019, 08:59 AM
carbonation
Mountain Pass
The Frantz "Sky" is a fine unit.
Have a machinist turn you out a sleeve ( aluminum is OK) that fits over the center post to increase the diameter.
Some folks have had good success with heat shrink tubing over that center post as well. Look for heat shrink that has a high temp spec of above 230 degrees.
Old TP rolls had 1.5 inch cores, new ones have larger cores and are a sloppy fit. Scott's 1000 with a sleeve fits well after a few winds are taken off the outer part of the roll.
The "new" Frantz folks make a cellulose blown media that is a drop in, and any parts they sell fit the vintage Sky units as well, including the band clamp.
Seriously, you do not want to tap off the head feed. You need oil pressure, the heads are restricted as outlined in the picture you posted on your engine. Oil pressure sender port is a guarantee.
I've installed a couple of Frantz in my day. Also done several DIY with spin on heads and various filters. I have a Racor LFS on my PowerStroke. I did a setup on a Cummins using a big spin on head (Wix 24750) and AC P940 filters. Both were closeout items at Rockauto. Initial filter and head were less than 20.00 . Clean oil is happy oil, but frankly there is little payback if you continue to do regular oil changes. You'll get 150k anyway in most cases with regular maintenance, or have the cleanest engine in the junkyard while the body rots away.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:29 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
The pay back is Clean Oil all the time ~ I like that engines like that ~ I do a filter (roll) change every 3 to 5000 miles ~ add a quart of oil ~and drive on ~ thanks for coming by ```

Old 02-26-2019, 07:03 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
Well, got the Frantz Filter in place and hooked up ~ I'll change the roll at 3-5000 miles the first time and 3-5000 miles after that ```

Old 03-09-2019, 06:07 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru

This is where I put the washer tank ~ haven't buttoned it down yet ```

Old 03-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru

That left this room where the large washer tank was located ~ you can see the filter housing in place ~ minus the can that contains the filter ( just put a new washer in ) ```

Old 03-09-2019, 06:13 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru

The can in place ```

You can see the return line to the oil filler cap ```

Old 03-10-2019, 05:46 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
As I'm reading a bit more about these bypass oil filter systems it seems they're intended more for the heavier Diesel engines, those in Class 8 trucks. What is their advantage on a gasoline engine?

I do sometimes have to idle my work truck for 2>4 hoiurs a day in winter while working on those Class 8 trucks. With a newly installed Ford reman'd 5.4 motor I wonder if one of these would benefit me?

Considering I pretty much religiously change my synthetic blend 5W-20 oil and filter every 3>4K miles would an oil analysis be beneficial?

TIA

Old 03-31-2019, 04:02 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
JWA ~ Oil doesn't ware out ~ with a great BYpass oil filter your oil will always clean ~ the inside of your engine will be clean machine your engine will like that ~ you can change your oil if you like but you won't have to ~ is my belief ~ a Frantz filter will trap moisture as well ~ so no acid formation ~ it's a winning situation ```

Richard

Old 08-22-2019, 12:29 AM
Richard S
Posting Guru
Well, I changed filter and OIL today ~ the oil had less than 10,000 miles on it ~ it was clean as a whistle and Dark Honey color ~ Why did I change the oil ~ I have a Frantz filter on this 2000 F150 5.4 ~ the oil couldn't have been cleaner ~ VARNISH ~ one of ~ if not the worst enemy of the Triton Engine in dirty oil ~ and VARNISH in a terrible thing for something like a Chain Tensioner ~ from what I've gathered ~ it was tough ~ pulling the plug on that sweet clean looking oil ~ but I had put a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the engine ~ and that is really a cleaner ~ well ~ won't bother you with any more trivia ~ those of you interested in the Frantz will get a bunch from what I've written ~ those not interested have gotten too much ```

Rich

Quick Reply: Made room for Bypass oil filter