Snow plow with ranch hand - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Snow plow with ranch hand

Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 PM
jarhead1349
Freshman User
jarhead1349 is starting off with a positive reputation.
With Western, your truck side mounts can be anywhere between 13 and 19 off the ground and adjust the plow to fit your truck. With Boss, you adjust the truck side to fit the plow. So with Western the truck side is tucked up tight under the bumper. Plus you can remove the plow "horns" or receivers in the off season for a cleaner look. 2 pins and viola -

Also, Western is owned by Douglas Dynamics (Western / Fisher / Blizzard / Snow Ex)

I maintain a fleet of Western plows (all on Super Duty's) and believe there is not a better combination out there. JMHO.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 PM
mastersativa
Junior User
mastersativa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Western and Meyer, and fisher are pretty much the same company now. And I believe all the newer ones the light bar stays with the plow, only thing on the truck are the recievers and frame brackets. That's how the ultramounts are. I have been looking into the new Meyer v blades to replace my v blade, I kinda like the county plow wings, but am on the fence about the landing gear for when it's off the truck. When we sold Northmans they had a similar design and they got abused. Imo I think the ultramount is still the best mount out there, and the bottom trip edge is way better than the whole blade flopping over, heck, when a boss is veed back it doesn't trip, causing lots of damage if you do bang into something hard.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:32 PM
mastersativa
Junior User
Yup, totally agree with jar head

Old 01-17-2019, 09:00 PM
Eaglescout94
Senior User
Eaglescout94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Eaglescout94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did not know about the height adjustment with Western and the others, I was aware of Boss’s requirement. Chalk up another win for Western. I like the removable “horns”. Guess I’ll take a drive to the local Western dealer and talk to them some. Mastersativa - could i get you to post some pics with a tape measure so I could get a better idea where everything sits? It’s looking more and more like I’ll be going with Western, lighter weight, better reviews here, better adjustability on height and i like the closest dealer.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:24 PM
mastersativa
Junior User
Well mines a big ole v blade, but the frames are very similar. I will do my best to get you some photos tomorrow after work before the sun goes down. And yes the removable receivers are sweet. Heck the whole mount is sweet, takes a couple minutes to hook up, comes off even faster, best one I've ever messed with. That boss "smart hitch" works ok , but not for very long.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:59 PM
Eaglescout94
Senior User
Eaglescout94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Eaglescout94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thank you, i appreciate it. More looking on google showed people that made a nice lowering block for the mounts if the truck is lifted some. I’d imagine something similar could be done to move it out some too, add in a brace to limit droop and give it more stability.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:07 PM
mastersativa
Junior User

I got home pretty late from work tonight, but I tried to get you a couple pics. It looks like I'm gonna be plowing tonight, maybe I can get a couple more in the morning in my shop.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:30 PM
Eaglescout94
Senior User
Thank you for the pics and if you could get more tomorrow then even better. You said there is approximately 6Ē between the stock bumper and the light tower? Is that the closest point or is there somewhere else that it comes closer other than the frame of the truck itself? How wide is the light tower? Curious if it might fit between the uprights on my bumper.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:38 AM
Taxbully
New User
Taxbully is starting off with a positive reputation.
Plow comparisons for Ranch Habumper

Originally Posted by Eaglescout94 View Post
Thank you for the pics and if you could get more tomorrow then even better. You said there is approximately 6Ē between the stock bumper and the light tower? Is that the closest point or is there somewhere else that it comes closer other than the frame of the truck itself? How wide is the light tower? Curious if it might fit between the uprights on my bumper.
Most Dealer installers will fit and adjust to your Truck. Not Sure where you are located, I'm in South Central Michigan and used Automotive Services in Jackson Michigan they have installed Meyer for 50 plus years, they install all kinds of commercial truck equipment. and are fabricators, so they can make any plow work for your truck. They did an excellent job, the biggest issue is getting the wiring correct.
I have owned V plows since 1979, First one was a original "Diamond" V before Meyers bought them. now the Fisher XV2 is similar , plow, hydraulics ran off the engine, then after a truck fire in 1991 purchased a BOSS V plow, I did not like that the whole mold board trip design nor the spring wing returns,, with the double acting wing hydraulics the wings sometimes would fold back on heavy wet snow conditions, and you could not use your wings to pull the Truck forward and back if snow fell behind the wings like I could with the Diamond V--.but is was a well made plow. I ended up purchasing the Meyer Super V2 since it was the only one with a 5 year warranty. And some of the control features,I love the Hands free plowing, drops and raises blade when you go from drive to reverse, or reverse for back dragging.. and the slotted and welded construction. A excellent you tube blogger from a commercial Snow plowing contractor, on compares Snow Dog, Western, Boss and Hiniker V snow plows and Sno-power and Shortiron pull plows here is the link if they allow, .
, if not just search Stanley "Dirt Monkey" Genadek published Jan 7 2019 which is really a compilation of many of his videos.
I would never run a straight blade, only a V snowplow, because its versatility, ability to break open driveways, ability to move and stack snow, V plows from my experience also reduces wind resistance when the plow is mounted so the added weight does not affect gas mileage. And the will clear lots 3 times fast due to the ability to dog leg the plow so no redo for trailings
Have a blessed week and good luck choosing a plow, Taxbully

Old 01-19-2019, 10:31 PM
Eaglescout94
Senior User
I’m located in Central Illinois and have a Western Dealer a quarter mile north of where I work and a Boss dealer less than a mile south. I’m sure they would be willing to adjust the plow to fit my truck but i dont plan on paying the install fee so I’d imagine I’d get a plow setup factory/ generic adjustment and have to dial it in myself. I would like a V plow but I’d guess they will be a fair bit more expensive and I know are a couple hundred pounds heavier. The cost is a big determining factor but so is the weight. I figure between the ranch hand and the straight blade plow I’m adding about a 1000lbs to the front, over 1200lb if a V plow. I dont remember what my steer weight is currently but Ill probably be over the axle rating a bit with the straight blade and more so with a V. If the measurements Ive got are accurate enough I’d only need to move the light tower out around 2” to clear my bumper, after I cut out a cross tube and make it bolt in for when I dont have the plow attached.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 PM
Eaglescout94
Senior User
Assuming I don’t get a V plow would some of the bolt on wings be a good choice to pick up? It looks like ill probably piece the system together over the summer and most likely end up buying a used plow to save some money. Guess I should also put the truck on a scale just to see we’re all my weight is sitting, maybe a V plow won’t be too much over than I’m uncomfortable with it.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Eaglescout94
Senior User
Anyone else have any insite on my project/issue? It looks like I’m picking up a used complete Western setup next weekend so I’ll be able to see myself what’s needed to make it work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.