Setting Pinion Drag Ford 9 Inch - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Setting Pinion Drag Ford 9 Inch

Old 01-16-2019, 04:00 PM
danlee
Postmaster
danlee has a good reputation on FTE.danlee has a good reputation on FTE.danlee has a good reputation on FTE.
Setting Pinion Drag Ford 9 Inch

I am building a 9" differential 3.70: 1 with a Trac Loc unit. I had it all assembled and found that I had overtightened the Pinion Bearing drag. I took it apart again and got a new Crush Sleeve and pinion nut. My plan was to reassemble the pinion carrier, and set the pinion drag to 25 inch-pounds. I assembled the carried without the seal & slinger, and using the old nut tried to set the drag. I cannot get any drag on the pinion bearings. The carrier spins free with no drag, and I am pulling on the nut with my breaker bar, so much the bench vise & bench are moving. It was not this hard to set the drag, when I first did it. Maybe that nut is distorted from overtightening, and locking on the pinion. I'll try another pinion nut.

Does anyone have an opinion?

Old 01-19-2019, 03:00 PM
mark a.
Post Fiend
mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.
Get rid of that crush collar. You can get a kit from Randy's or others to do so.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:11 PM
danlee
Postmaster
danlee has a good reputation on FTE.danlee has a good reputation on FTE.danlee has a good reputation on FTE.
Mark,
Thanks, I was finally able to get 25 inch pounds drag on the pinion bearings using the crush sleeve. I just needed to eat some more Wheaties.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:07 AM
mark a.
Post Fiend
mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.
That kit makes it a breeze and it will never loosen / crush down like they tend to in time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.