Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doesn't Anybody Fix Things Anymore?

Old 01-15-2019, 10:14 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
Doesn't Anybody Fix Things Anymore?

While working on the Ex I found my front caliper dust seals torn. It is a good time to fix them with a long weekend coming up and truck is apart. I also found my lower shock bushings are worn.

Advance does not have them in stores, order only. Auto Zone doesn't carry them. O'Reilly can order seals, not listing bushings.

Does anybody fix stuff anymore? I know, more money in replacing than fixing.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
Good ole Amazon. Search for the part numbers on the Dorman site, enter them into Amazon and on Friday they will be here.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:33 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
I ordered my caliper rebuild parts from RockAuto.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:59 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
So many people these days do not work on their own vehicle.
They pay other people to work on it for them.
In many cases the cost of labor makes swapping in new parts more cost-effective than repairing.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:08 AM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
I ordered my caliper rebuild parts from RockAuto.
Ordering stuff is fine but personally when I have a car apart and need something I would like to get it and get it done. It seems like to me parts houses are relying on warehouses of parts to order from and not having stuff in stock. Basic brake repair items like grease seals, bearings and caliper kits were at one time the staple of auto repairs.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:07 PM
6_Myles
Senior User
6_Myles is starting off with a positive reputation.
honestly, i buy lifetime shocks from oreillys...if I noticed the bushing is worn, I just get a whole new shock...which is easier than a bushing...so that might be why they don't carry them.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
I don't repair calipers, if they are torn they are also high mileage and have been over extended. Replacement of calipers and hoses is the service procedure .

Old 01-16-2019, 03:28 PM
Don Naslund
Elder User
Don Naslund has a good reputation on FTE.Don Naslund has a good reputation on FTE.
Parts houses stock the most sold parts for quick turnover of their stock. When we have older vehicles, we should expect delays in getting parts. Before beginning a project, I get my parts then start the work. Sometimes, I find other problems while working on my vehicle and have to decide to keep it apart or wait to replace those parts later.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:44 PM
ExxWhy
Postmaster
ExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputation
I haven't rebuilt a wheel cylinder on a drum brake since ... well since drum brakes were common on front wheels. Don't think I have ever rebuilt a caliper. I admit it, if something needs a part, I change the part. As already mentioned, parts stores stock what sells. Caliper dust seals for a 15 yr old truck would sit on the shelf for a while before someone came along to buy them. Just the way of the world.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Pele
Elder User
Pele has a great reputation on FTE.Pele has a great reputation on FTE.Pele has a great reputation on FTE.Pele has a great reputation on FTE.
Last time I priced out drum brake cylinder rebuilds for a Honda, the rebuild kit was more expensive than a new cylinder after I factored in buying a cylinder hone and everything. A pair of Cylinders was just shy of $20.
Even if you have the O-Rings and dust boots and hone to rebuild a caliper or cylinder, you've gotta have the time and skill to actually hone the cylinder... That also requires patience so you get the right crosshatch pattern.
Odds are the cylinder is going to be scored up and/or pitted from moisture contamination because nobody flushed brake fluid.

Additionally, no rebuild kit is going to be able to replace broke off bleeder nipples and/or hydraulic fittings... Which happens about 90% of the time I'm replacing a caliper anyhow.

On a vehicle as common as the Ford SuperDuty, everywhere has calipers.

On a rare vehicle, I can see attempting a rebuild.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:14 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
I use the motorcraft caliper rebuild kits because the sesls are better quality then the parts used by many of the remanufactured calipers you are going to find in the parts stores, even if the parts stores stocked the sesls they would likely be cheap china junk.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
I use the motorcraft caliper rebuild kits because the sesls are better quality then the parts used by many of the remanufactured calipers you are going to find in the parts stores, even if the parts stores stocked the sesls they would likely be cheap china junk.
I agree with the parts quality. I replace wheel cylinders rather than rebuild, honing is an art. If a caliper can be repaired I would rather do that. I learned one thing with old cars and restorations, the OEM stuff is alot better than reproduction.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 AM
Benjaminesh
Freshman User
Benjaminesh is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post

Do you happen to have part numbers for these? I could use a few.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.