Oil for 2019 6.7 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Oil for 2019 6.7

Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 PM
Cheryldale
Freshman User
Cheryldale is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oil for 2019 6.7

The new ford power stroke has 10/30 oil from factory my dealer is saying use 10/30 or 0/40. What are you using I think I would rather use a synthetic 5/40, oil would be lighter for cold starts as well as synthetic values. I canít see why 0/40 which is a synthetic as well would be above the 5/40! Your thoughts?

Old 01-15-2019, 10:51 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.
0w40 is better synthetic than 5w40. Original oil is motorcraft semi synthetic 10w30. That’s what I use in winter, 15w4o in summer. A synthetic, either 5w40 or 0w40 is recomemded for towing, because it’s rated for a wider range of temperature. See your manual, it lays it out. Be sure the CK4 API rating is listed for your 6.7 l as not all are cleared by Ford.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
There is no no 0w40 that meets the Ford requirements, that's mostly a European spec and ACEA rated. Look at the oil chart 5w40 year round covers all the aspects. Just make sure it's on Fords approved list.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:40 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.
We have 0w40 Co-op DMO in Canada that does meet their spec. The difficulty will be what is available for you.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
A couple clarifications here. On the latest list there is indeed a 0W40 oil on the approved list. It happens to be the first oil on the list. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40. Here is a link to the list. https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

As to the factory fill, it's 10W30 dino. Not semi syn.

To the OP, the two most popular oils here on FTE seem to be Shell Rotella T6 5W40 and Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40. The Rotella is on Amazon or at Wally World for $20. The PBE is on sale every other month at NAPA for around the same or less. That said, use any oil from the list and don't worry about it too much. You'll hear tons of opinions on why guys use this oil or that one. What you won't read is that someone used brand X for a long period of time and it did damage. Oil is one of the most overthought/analyzed topics on forums.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:37 AM
BillyE
Elder User
BillyE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
A couple clarifications here. On the latest list there is indeed a 0W40 oil on the approved list. It happens to be the first oil on the list. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40. Here is a link to the list. https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

As to the factory fill, it's 10W30 dino. Not semi syn.

To the OP, the two most popular oils here on FTE seem to be Shell Rotella T6 5W40 and Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40. The Rotella is on Amazon or at Wally World for $20. The PBE is on sale every other month at NAPA for around the same or less. That said, use any oil from the list and don't worry about it too much. You'll hear tons of opinions on why guys use this oil or that one. What you won't read is that someone used brand X for a long period of time and it did damage. Oil is one of the most overthought/analyzed topics on forums.
All you need to know is in this post, and ese your manual to guide your selection of oil weight based on your climate and use.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:51 AM
N2dunz
Senior User
N2dunz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Owners manual says 5W40 for Extreme Use.
That is what I use since 80% of my miles are towing.
I use Rotella.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Redrockerstl55
Elder User
Redrockerstl55 has a good reputation on FTE.Redrockerstl55 has a good reputation on FTE.
Some people say getting the engine break in materials flushed out is maybe more important than trying to decipher which is the absolute best oil to use long term. Seems like Rotella, PBE and Amsoil are all pretty universally thought as great synthetic oils to use on the PSD.

Here is my oil analysis from my first oil change to my most recent. IMO is can't hurt (other than a few extra bucks) to get these break in metals flushed out early.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2017 F250 OCT 2018.pdf (20.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 AM
ShadowGrey
Senior User
ShadowGrey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So, I have 500 miles on my brand new truck...when should I get those break in fluids out and what do you think I should use as I will be changing the oil and filter every 5000 miles?

My thought is 5W40 synthetic blend will do...
Rotella on Amazon Rotella on Amazon

Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
0w40 and 5w40 of the same protection, albeit the 0 number is cold pour viscosity and therefor perhaps better for cold starts. I used it for 100k miles in my old 6l due my cold starting requirements up here in BC. I also ran it all year round. Prior to that I ipused 5w40 Delo. These new engines seem to really do well on anything that meets the Ford ratings. I am not running synthetic at this time. This teuck starts well even when really cold, it runs smooth and quiet, the glow plug system is very fast, wait to start is extremely short.

only thing I do notice is all the emissions, the oil is black even 10 minutes after an oil change. I will go synthetic 0w40 at end of service package. Also Considering bypass oil filtering. The amount of black carbon in the oil boggles my mind every time I change the oil or check it.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:14 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ShadowGrey View Post
So, I have 500 miles on my brand new truck...when should I get those break in fluids out and what do you think I should use as I will be changing the oil and filter every 5000 miles?
Many do the 5k change. Many others do it when the IOLM tells them too. Both are fine. There are no break in fluids. The factory fill is straight 10W30 Motorcraft conventional.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:26 AM
ShadowGrey
Senior User
ShadowGrey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Many do the 5k change. Many others do it when the IOLM tells them too. Both are fine. There are no break in fluids. The factory fill is straight 10W30 Motorcraft conventional.
I guess I should have said break in materials in the straight oil. But still when should I do the first oil change...1k, 2.5k, 5k...???

May look into bypass filter too...

Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
I guess I should have said break in materials in the straight oil. But still when should I do the first oil change...1k, 2.5k, 5k...???

I don't think you'll get rid of the black oil without deleting. It's the nature of the emissions system. On the first change, there are a million theories on it... just like what weight or brand is best. To that I have the same answer. It really doesn't matter. Everyone does what makes them feel better but there is no evidence that doing it one way or the other makes any difference whatsoever. On this truck I did mine at 5k and have done my subsequent ones at 5k as well. I am however 99% sure that I'm wasting my money not waiting for the IOLM to tell me to change...

Old 01-16-2019, 12:34 PM
Redrockerstl55
Elder User
Redrockerstl55 has a good reputation on FTE.Redrockerstl55 has a good reputation on FTE.

I would do it around the 2-3,000 mile range. Then maybe one more after than. Then start extending them.

My oil analysis showed that copper was flushed out to normal levels after the second oil change. Iron was flushed out after the third where my oil analysis shows 50% of the iron after almost triple the miles compared to the factory fill. Same with silicon...after the second oil change it is in the normal range.

If you are experimenting with oils and you do oil analysis a good component to track for the PSD is phosphorus. This component was the reason Ford went to the new F1 standard...it requires oils to have at least 1,000 PPM phosphorus. Phosphorus helps protect the valves which it sounds like were failing a bit earlier (less than the 500,000 miles target) on the PSD before the F1 standard was introduced.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.