03 f250 v10 conversation with 05 f350 6 speed tranny - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

03 f250 v10 conversation with 05 f350 6 speed tranny

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

03 f250 v10 conversation with 05 f350 6 speed tranny

 
  #1  
Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 PM
Toddfro
Toddfro is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Toddfro is starting off with a positive reputation.
03 f250 v10 conversation with 05 f350 6 speed tranny

Hey guys,
Here’s my story. I have an 03 f250 superduty with a v10 that pushed a rod through both sides of the block at 140k miles. I already have a reman waiting to go back in. I wanted to get more out of that v10, so I purchased an 05 f350 with a 5.4 with a 6 speed tranny which I want to mate to the v10. I believe I have all harness/ gauges, etc. I searched around for a turbo kit or supercharger to bolt in as well. But to no avail. So my thought came to drilling holes into the intake and supplying compressed air whenI desire a neck jerk. Any thoughts?
 
  #2  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:29 AM
Sam I Am's Avatar
Sam I Am
Sam I Am is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Posts: 1,684
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
What will keep the compressed air from back flowing out the air filter?

How are you going to meter the air and match it to the needed fuel delivery?

And I guess the biggest question would be what is the source of this compression of air and how will it be stored? Either you will need an extremely high volume onboard compressor and/or a massive storage tank, either of which would be extremely inefficient in a street driven vehicle.
 
  #3  
Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 AM
WE3ZS's Avatar
WE3ZS
WE3ZS is offline
World Famous Mod
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Media PA
Posts: 8,207
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Todd, your compressed air idea is not going to work for the reasons given above, foreget about that plan.
What rear gears does this 2V V-10 have, and what size tire's? Going to deeper gears is the single biggest performance increase you can do for your 6.8 (that is, short of a well engineered turbo or super charged system, which will not be nearly as cheap as those new deeper gears). Running anything less than an effective 4.30 ratio and expecting very good performance may lead to some disappointment.
 
  #4  
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 AM
redford's Avatar
redford
redford is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stephensville WI
Posts: 19,388
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
I like the idea of placing the 6 speed manual gearbox behind the V10. Do you have access to a parts truck so you can acquire the 3 pedal equipment?

( I guess I am assuming the truck has an automatic right now)
 
  #5  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:20 PM
WE3ZS's Avatar
WE3ZS
WE3ZS is offline
World Famous Mod
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Media PA
Posts: 8,207
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
I would do some double checking of the parts you have on hand, the internals of the 4R100 auto trans had heavier internal parts for the V-10 over what the 5.4 V-10 had due to the 6.8's higher output, I'm not sure if the manual transmissions were setup the same way, that 5.4 six speed might not be strong enough to last behind the 6.8. Also I'm not sure if the bell housing bolt patterns were the same between the 2V and later 3V modular motors, so you may want to verify if the '05 trans and bell housing will even bolt up to the 2V ten.
 
  #6  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 PM
Toddfro
Toddfro is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Toddfro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you for responding.

I
Originally Posted by redford View Post
I like the idea of placing the 6 speed manual gearbox behind the V10. Do you have access to a parts truck so you can acquire the 3 pedal equipment?

( I guess I am assuming the truck has an automatic right now)
I acquired an 05 f350 superduty with the 5.4 and 6 speed automatic transmission. I was hoping there would be an adapter to mate the 6 speed to the v10. I do realize the 6r is not as beefy as the 4l100 but with some adjustments to the shift settings, I hope to keep the torque within tolerance. I believe this type of setup is in a few f650. But like 2016 and up. So. I thought you kind gentleman had an inside of what my end outcome would entail.
 
  #7  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 PM
Toddfro
Toddfro is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Toddfro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
Todd, your compressed air idea is not going to work for the reasons given above, foreget about that plan.
What rear gears does this 2V V-10 have, and what size tire's? Going to deeper gears is the single biggest performance increase you can do for your 6.8 (that is, short of a well engineered turbo or super charged system, which will not be nearly as cheap as those new deeper gears). Running anything less than an effective 4.30 ratio and expecting very good performance may lead to some disappointment.
thanks for your input. The truck has stock size tires and rearends.
 
  #8  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:27 PM
ford390gashog's Avatar
ford390gashog
ford390gashog is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brentwood,CA
Posts: 17,278
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Toddfro View Post
I
I acquired an 05 f350 superduty with the 5.4 and 6 speed automatic transmission. I was hoping there would be an adapter to mate the 6 speed to the v10. I do realize the 6r is not as beefy as the 4l100 but with some adjustments to the shift settings, I hope to keep the torque within tolerance. I believe this type of setup is in a few f650. But like 2016 and up. So. I thought you kind gentleman had an inside of what my end outcome would entail.
The 2005 Superduty had a 5 speed Torqueshift not a 6 speed (Yes at cold temperatures there is a 6th shift I won't get into that). The 5 speed torqueshift is way stronger than a 4R100. All modular bolt patterns are the same the transmissions all interchange.
 
  #9  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 PM
ford390gashog's Avatar
ford390gashog
ford390gashog is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brentwood,CA
Posts: 17,278
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
I would do some double checking of the parts you have on hand, the internals of the 4R100 auto trans had heavier internal parts for the V-10 over what the 5.4 V-10 had due to the 6.8's higher output, I'm not sure if the manual transmissions were setup the same way, that 5.4 six speed might not be strong enough to last behind the 6.8. Also I'm not sure if the bell housing bolt patterns were the same between the 2V and later 3V modular motors, so you may want to verify if the '05 trans and bell housing will even bolt up to the 2V ten.
The same ZF-6 was used on both the 5.4 and the 6.8. The biggest issue was Ford deleted the transmission pump and cooler on the 5.4 trucks and you will need it. Bellhousing is the same pattern across all modular engines. The 4R100 did not have heavier parts, it simply had a calibration change and additional friction materials.
 
  #10  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 PM
WE3ZS's Avatar
WE3ZS
WE3ZS is offline
World Famous Mod
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Media PA
Posts: 8,207
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Toddfro View Post

thanks for your input. The truck has stock size tires and rearends.
Stock rearends is fine, but it doesn't tell us what gears they have, THAT is the important part of the puzzle, there were different ratios available when new from .
I misunderstood your original post and thought that you were talking about a six speed manual trans not an auto, the 6R110 is typically referred to as a five speed since that how many of its six gears it uses. They have a different bolt pattern i'm pretty sure. And I think you are in for a very serious challenge getting the combo work correctly.
I would look at some new deeper gears and go that direction..............
 
  #11  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:38 PM
ford390gashog's Avatar
ford390gashog
ford390gashog is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brentwood,CA
Posts: 17,278
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post


Stock rearends is fine, but it doesn't tell us what gears they have, THAT is the important part of the puzzle, there were different ratios available when new from .
I misunderstood your original post and thought that you were talking about a six speed manual trans not an auto, the 6R110 is typically referred to as a five speed since that how many of its six gears it uses. They have a different bolt pattern i'm pretty sure. And I think you are in for a very serious challenge getting the combo work correctly.
I would look at some new deeper gears and go that direction..............
No such thing as a 6R110. The 5 speed torqueshift is a 5r110W. The 2011 and later trucks use a massive 6r140 transmission. When the OP said 6 speed it was implied it was a ZF6 manual which was the only 6 speed offered in 2005. Also to emphasize every modular engine has the same bolt pattern.
 
  #12  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:49 PM
WE3ZS's Avatar
WE3ZS
WE3ZS is offline
World Famous Mod
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Media PA
Posts: 8,207
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
No such thing as a 6R110. The 5 speed torqueshift is a 5r110W. The 2011 and later trucks use a massive 6r140 transmission. When the OP said 6 speed it was implied it was a ZF6 manual which was the only 6 speed offered in 2005. Also to emphasize every modular engine has the same bolt pattern.
Yep, you are correct, my bad! . 5R110W it is then if the donor truck is an '05, I was thinking ZF6 also originally, confusing.......
 
  #13  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:56 PM
ford390gashog's Avatar
ford390gashog
ford390gashog is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brentwood,CA
Posts: 17,278
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
This whole thread is highly confusing. The OP won't be able to swap the 5r110w into his 2003 truck, nothing is compatible. It will bolt up but that's it, the engine lacks the wiring. The 5r110w equipped trucks were all 3v drive by wire and can bus equipped.
 
  #14  
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 PM
Sam I Am's Avatar
Sam I Am
Sam I Am is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Posts: 1,684
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
As stated, all the modular engines use the same bell housing bolt pattern.
Starting with the 6L diesels in 2003.5 model year, the diesel engines in the Super Duty line use the same bolt pattern as the modular engines too.

The exception to the above is that some early modular engines used a dual pattern transmission bolt pattern to accommodate either the small block Ford (SBF) bolt pattern or the modular bolt pattern. But that was mid-nineties and only in cars so not really applicable here.
 
  #15  
Old 01-17-2019, 01:12 AM
Mike189677's Avatar
Mike189677
Mike189677 is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,786
Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
This whole thread is highly confusing. The OP won't be able to swap the 5r110w into his 2003 truck, nothing is compatible. It will bolt up but that's it, the engine lacks the wiring. The 5r110w equipped trucks were all 3v drive by wire and can bus equipped.
well that is true in truck form but you could get a v10 e series van which remained 2 valve for the entire e series line with a 5r110w so the question in the back of my mind has always been if there is a way with a van pcm tune and trans wiring harness to make that combo work in a truck, though if the truck is 4x4 you would need a 4x4 trans from a truck or have to take the whole van trans apart to convert it to 4x4 Unless that is only for the 4r100 can’t recall at the moment but I seem to recall it being both transmissions. Just throwing it out there but probably isn’t practical either unless you really wanted the torqueshift and had some cash burning a hole in your pocket and time to experiment, or some one else would have posted about it before me. Thoughts...
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.