Adding smart link to 2017 and up - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Adding smart link to 2017 and up

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 01-15-2019, 08:27 PM
spettiner
Freshman User
spettiner is starting off with a positive reputation.

I did a forum search and didn't find any information. Has anyone added smart link to their 2017 and up super duty? What did it take?

Old 01-16-2019, 04:37 PM
spettiner
Freshman User
Anybody? You got nothing?

Old 01-16-2019, 04:43 PM
Canaan Morgan
Junior User
Canaan Morgan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Order the module that goes in obd2 and order from fairway ford in I think Canton Ohio. Nate had it all setup and called and he walked me through the rest. Works well. Fyi 2017 f250

Old 01-16-2019, 04:44 PM
zekes66
Senior User
zekes66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dont think it can be done as you would like. You can get "Remote Access" on 17's but it requires parts.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 PM
Canaan Morgan
Junior User
It can be as I have done it on mine

Old 01-16-2019, 05:53 PM
spettiner
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Canaan Morgan View Post
Order the module that goes in obd2 and order from fairway ford in I think Canton Ohio. Nate had it all setup and called and he walked me through the rest. Works well. Fyi 2017 f250
Thank you! Is it just the dongle that goes in the obd port, or is there more to it?

Old 01-16-2019, 05:56 PM
jbizzle
New User
jbizzle is starting off with a positive reputation.
+1 installed on my 2018, works great. Had to make a quick trip to my local dealer so they could program the device with their IDS program so that the remote features would work - 5 min job, didn't charge me

Old 01-16-2019, 06:12 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jbizzle View Post
+1 installed on my 2018, works great. Had to make a quick trip to my local dealer so they could program the device with their IDS program so that the remote features would work - 5 min job, didn't charge me
That's remote access, not smart link. Smart link has the wifi hotspot and some more integrated features. Remote access lets you remote start from your phone, lock/unlock, and get notifications if your alarm is set off. Two different things. I have the remote access, its awesome, but its not Smart Link.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:26 PM
spettiner
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
That's remote access, not smart link. Smart link has the wifi hotspot and some more integrated features. Remote access lets you remote start from your phone, lock/unlock, and get notifications if your alarm is set off. Two different things. I have the remote access, its awesome, but its not Smart Link.
What one has more features? Smart link, or remote access?
I just found a long thread on smart link. Reading it now.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Canaan Morgan
Junior User
That's weird because ford is calling it smartlink and the app says smartlink. Maybe I'm just a bug dummy thinking it is smartlink

Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
That's weird because ford is calling it smartlink and the app says smartlink. Maybe I'm just a bug dummy thinking it is smartlink
Wouldnt be the first time I was wrong, or the last

Do you have the Wifi Hotspot and vehicle diagnostics in the truck? I guess they couldve just changed the name, or theres variable levels of functionality.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:08 PM
Canaan Morgan
Junior User
Yes. Wifi and diagnostics

Old 01-16-2019, 07:19 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Yes. Wifi and diagnostics
Sweet! Learn something new everyday....

When I installed the remote access stuff none of the Smart Link stuff was available and the dealer said it wouldn't be something you can add on anyways because too many modules needed to be swapped....I already know dealers are mostly morons, so I should've just looked for myself.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
Sweet! Learn something new everyday....

When I installed the remote access stuff none of the Smart Link stuff was available and the dealer said it wouldn't be something you can add on anyways because too many modules needed to be swapped....I already know dealers are mostly morons, so I should've just looked for myself.
Do you have a writeup here about how you installed remote access? I'd be interested in knowing step-by-step what to do and if there is a monthly fee, how to set that up, too.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:08 PM
sc954rr
Junior User
sc954rr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Everytime I go to look the part number up most places say the remote module is discountinued but yet other websites say it's available still. This was the part number for the module I was given VHL3Z-14F642-A and it's around ~$350 but no dealers by me even heard of it, so I'm lost right now on which way to go forward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.