2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Hit in Stop-and-Go traffic

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 03:38 PM
rjbrittain11
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hit in Stop-and-Go traffic

Today I was reminded again why I hate people. Only 4300 miles on the truck and barely a month old. And the guy didn't even want to pull over after he hit me until a CHP officer commanded him over the loud speaker. Idiot merged over in front of me without signaling or anything. He came from behind me on my left and merged to the right at the last minute of an interstate change. I was able to keep my hands off of him but i made sure to let him know that he is a POS. Ya...its not that much damage, but its the principle that I am more pissed about than anything.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:45 PM
TireFryer426
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
People just keep driving worse and worse every day. I'm an F-450 and scaled at 9500lbs, i'm absolutely blown away by how many people will indiscriminately cut me off.
I wish I still had it on my dash cam, I had a guy almost hit me a few weeks ago on the interstate doing 75. 3 lane intestate, I'm in the middle lane, Dodge Ram passes me in the fast lane, business as usual whatever.
Once he clears me, he slows down to about a mile an hour less than me, waits until i've closed the gap to about a car length, and he turns on his signal to get over. I have the cruise on, I look in the mirror and there is literally no one around. No reason he needs over now.
Half a car length, over he comes. Needed a clean pair of pants.

Just had a honda civic blow around me in the city, jump in front of me, and then slam on the brakes to make a right turn. Made me stop because he couldn't be behind me for an extra 10 seconds. No one behind me. Just driving like an *******. Worth mentioning I don't drive slow either. I'm at the speed limit or 5 over most of the time.

Hope that idiot has insurance.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:52 PM
Bohojo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad no one was hurt. Yes... people are morons.

Ive been rear ended before by a woman texting and driving.

Then, it almost happened again last week.
I saw the guy coming and he never slowed down... he looked up at the last second and swerved into the turn lane. Luckily, no one was in it.

if you look, it's amazing how many people you can see texting and driving. It's a lot more dangerous out there today than it was a few years ago.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Platinum08
Senior User
Had a lady bump into my trailer hitch in a McDonald's drive thru. Luckily no damage to the truck as I had my drop down hitch in but it punched a nice hole in her grill. Had the ***** to blame me...

Old 01-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry that happened to your new truck, no one ever cuts me off when I'm driving my dirty old 1 ton flat bed plow truck. I know it's hard to do, but if I drive about 5 mph under the speed limit on the highway I don't have near as many incidents as when I am going 2 or 3 over the posted limit. Try it, you might like it. I know that has nothing to do with stop and go traffic.

Again, sorry someone hit your brand new shiny truck.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:14 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
Sorry that happened to your new truck, no one ever cuts me off when I'm driving my dirty old 1 ton flat bed plow truck. I know it's hard to do, but if I drive about 5 mph under the speed limit on the highway I don't have near as many incidents as when I am going 2 or 3 over the posted limit. Try it, you might like it. I know that has nothing to do with stop and go traffic.

Again, sorry someone hit your brand new shiny truck.
If you go 5 under the limit here in California you're going to be rear ended in 10 minutes, tops. Thats about 15-20mph under the flow of traffic.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:23 PM
afret
Junior User
Glad you didn't get hurt but it sucks that your new truck got damaged. There's a lot of idiot drivers around for sure. That traffic in the Bay Area is terrible. Went to visit old friends near San Mateo a couple months ago and figured I'd miss rush hour by driving through there around 11 AM. Wrong! The traffic was still a mess with crazy drivers everywhere. Don't see how you can handle that. Hope you quickly get your truck fixed to just like new status.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Raptor Rob
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rjbrittain11
Today I was reminded again why I hate people. Only 4300 miles on the truck and barely a month old. And the guy didn't even want to pull over after he hit me until a CHP officer commanded him over the loud speaker. Idiot merged over in front of me without signaling or anything. He came from behind me on my left and merged to the right at the last minute of an interstate change. I was able to keep my hands off of him but i made sure to let him know that he is a POS. Ya...its not that much damage, but its the principle that I am more pissed about than anything.

I started reading your thread and thought, this sounds like how the idiots drive in the Bay Area. Then I looked at where your from! All day Every day they drive like this.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:38 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 736 Posts
Originally Posted by Platinum08
Had a lady bump into my trailer hitch in a McDonald's drive thru. Luckily no damage to the truck as I had my drop down hitch in but it punched a nice hole in her grill. Had the ***** to blame me...
Had a lady rear end me in a drivethrough before too. I was in my f250 with a pretty well beat rear bumper. She was obviously pretty high and hit me pretty hard.

I got out to look and was kinda pissed and said “thanks for the new bumper” and she said “i’m calling the cops” then jumped the curb and ran. If my memory serves me correctly I think she hit me again when she ran.

It was actually kinda funny. Sometimes nice having a beater vehicle.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:55 PM
rjbrittain11
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Raptor Rob
I started reading your thread and thought, this sounds like how the idiots drive in the Bay Area. Then I looked at where your from! All day Every day they drive like this.
HAHAHAHA! Yup. It amazes me how often a small car will change lanes and brake right in front of large vehicles/semi's. I rented a Penske 20 footer a few weeks ago and someone pulls out of traffic right in front of me and i had to slam on the brakes. Its a Penske rental so they aren't great. Then the idiot decides to brake check me when i honk. You serious? You think a Mazda 6 is the right vehicle to be brake checking a F'in box truck?! I get next to this idiot and theres a 10 year old in the passenger seat!

Old 01-15-2019, 05:55 PM
rjbrittain11
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by afret
Glad you didn't get hurt but it sucks that your new truck got damaged. There's a lot of idiot drivers around for sure. That traffic in the Bay Area is terrible. Went to visit old friends near San Mateo a couple months ago and figured I'd miss rush hour by driving through there around 11 AM. Wrong! The traffic was still a mess with crazy drivers everywhere. Don't see how you can handle that. Hope you quickly get your truck fixed to just like new status.
And to think I commute on the SuperMoto a couple times a week too. Talk about avoiding death every single day.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:57 PM
rjbrittain11
Mountain Pass
I also told his insurance when i called them (GEICO) to file the claim that i do not want the damage repaired, but that i want full replacements of damaged parts.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
If you go 5 under the limit here in California you're going to be rear ended in 10 minutes, tops. Thats about 15-20mph under the flow of traffic.
...... and they are hemoraging out of California and all moving to Houston. It gets worse every week... yaaaaaaaaay....
Originally Posted by rjbrittain11
I also told his insurance when i called them (GEICO) to file the claim that i do not want the damage repaired, but that i want full replacements of damaged parts.
Dude it sucks you got hit. Is there actual damage or just cosmetic paint damage? Its hard to tell from the picture on my i phone. Im not trying to be debbie downer but i can tell you GEICO will battle you until hell freezes over on replacing that bumper if its only paint damage, especially with new OEM parts. They are more than likely going to tell you that you can pay the difference. I worked in the collision industry for years, and they are the bottom of the bucket when it comes to the big guys. Not sure where you live but they are probably going to ask you to take it to one of their drive in DRP’s for a preliminary estimate. It will be a mickey mouse estimate. They hope you will just take the money and run. The representatives are trained to write estimates in this manner. Dont get crazy on them if they dont tell you what you want to hear, its what they are instructed to do. You will more than likely have to take it up with the field adjuster assigned to your claim. Check your state laws and see if you can have your truck repaired by the shop of your choice. Let that shop supplement GEICO for the appropriate cost for the repairs. Good luck and let us know how this pans out. I am interested to hear how this goes for you.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:57 PM
rcinlaveen
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
And in California, that's what makes towing a trailer on the interstate highway so frustrating. Limited to 55 mph, and everyone else is driving 75 to 90 - and many 18 wheelers 65 to 75. I drive 60 when towing on California interstates when traffic permits. Don't use a CB radio, radar detector, and don't want an expensive ticket.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:48 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Couple years ago.
After 11 at night, in the rain, 6 mph under the limit, with 18K of 5th wheel toy hauler in tow.

Commentary by my normally quiet wife.

Quick Reply: Hit in Stop-and-Go traffic