1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Batteries... UGH...$$$$$

Old 01-15-2019, 03:17 PM
dmd
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever you get make sure they are 850CCA. The lower ones don't have the juice when it is cold out, especially if you have to cycle the GP more than once.

The correct ones are pricey. Most are 750 CCA and get beat up by the demands of these trucks and then die early.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:46 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,439 Likes on 2,839 Posts
NorthStar AGM with 930 CCA. Expensive, but I am hopeful to get 10+ years out of them. If I get at least 6, I am breaking even. I believe I paid $500 for the pair, but not 100% on that.

Cheaper options are available, but I am building my truck for reliability and longevity, not what is on sale this week.

The AGM 930 CCA batteries suited with the Denso high torque starter, 160 Amp alternator and upgraded positive and negative battery cables, I should be set for years to come.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:29 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by beef ****
Nothing on these trucks is cheap. This should be a huge bulletin post #1 at all times.

AGREED!!!!!, and out diesels are the cheaper of the bunch.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:49 PM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ones I got are over 900 cca.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:32 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
I looked at marine batteries but the west marine brand @1000cca came to a similar price as some of the agm batteries. Most of the batteries I found were 800cca that’s what I ended up getting but I would recommend 1000 if you can find it that’s the lowest I use on boats and holds more power. In the past I have also used AAA in the past they have a good warranty and will come out in site in the event of a warranty claim.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As mentioned above there are only few actual battery manufacturers. Johnson Controls used to be among the best and are the manufacturer of Interstates as well as many at Costco and other "big box" stores. There are many others available that may or my not be the same at the same store. Just need to use due diligence in your research.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:37 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I went with the Autozone Duralast Platinum batteries.

750 Cold cranking amps ( 935 cranking Amps) ***. 120/68 reserve minutes
Does fine for me in the cold, though it doesn't get below 40* very much here in Houston.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...5_166936_25697

Old 01-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,320 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by afonda
There are 3 battery manufacturers in the US
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
As mentioned above there are only few actual battery manufacturers.
Battery Council International has about 50 manufacturer members in North America alone.

Note that 50 of those light colored dots are Manufacturers, not just Recyclers, which are the dark colored dots.

As the name implies, manufacturers means battery builders, not just battery brands.

And, the dots above do not account for automotive batteries manufactured overseas that are sold in North America.

Now, to sort out the battery brands, and who manufactures what: In this long list linked below, the manufactures are in bold text, to distinguish them from brands, distributors, and retailers. A few more than 3.

Lead-Acid Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List 2019

Old 01-16-2019, 11:56 AM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thought process, (doesn't mean that I am right or anybody has to agree,) is you usually get what you pay for - within reason. I don't care if it is a Bugotti - no car is worth a million dollars to me.

I bought a set of batteries from Walmart once - well actually twice against my better judgment. Yeah, they gave me some credit back because they failed before the warranty was up but this could be so that I'd keep buying batteries from them every couple of years. I bought the last set from NAPA. Still going strong and have outlasted the Walmart batteries hands down.

When they failed I happened to be out of state working, never seems to happen when you are at home and have a spare car to drive in case one doesn't start.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:52 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Battery Council International has about 50 manufacturer members in North America alone.

Note that 50 of those light colored dots are Manufacturers, not just Recyclers, which are the dark colored dots.

As the name implies, manufacturers means battery builders, not just battery brands.

And, the dots above do not account for automotive batteries manufactured overseas that are sold in North America.

Now, to sort out the battery brands, and who manufactures what: In this long list linked below, the manufactures are in bold text, to distinguish them from brands, distributors, and retailers. A few more than 3.

Lead-Acid Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List 2019

Snap.

I always figured that "three manufacturer's" thing was BS.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:12 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by beef ****
Snap.

I always figured that "three manufacturer's" thing was BS.
IMO there are only three that matter...well...two actually as I don't see Exide as being in the same class as DEKA and Johnson Controls. Surprisingly, my recent research has revealed that Interstate is not a battery manufacturer but rather, a battery marketer, marketing their own branded batteries made my Exide and Johnson Controls. I can't completely discount Exide batteries but I have never seen one that matched their competitors in warranty or CCA. There are other higher priced players in the game but they are out of my league.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:04 PM
Eaglescout94
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Doesn’t matter a whole lot but I spent $80 each I think for my batteries. The major catch is they are type 31 used in big trucks. So far they’ve worked great.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 278 Likes on 234 Posts
There actually is at least one Li-ion battery manufacturer in the USA that builds a group 65 starting battery. Bad news is it costs ~$2000 and hasn't come down in price that much. Good news is based on the specs you wouldn't even need a driver's side battery. Two would probably blow up your starter. And they only weigh about 20 pounds. And they self-discharge very slowly when not used compared to lead batteries and would basically last forever in an automotive starting application, which is very low wear and tear when you think about it compared to say, a Tesla car or even a laptop or cell phone which are constantly discharging.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,320 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
IMO there are only three that matter...well...two actually as I don't see Exide as being in the same class as DEKA and Johnson Controls.
Deka is a brand, not a manufacturer.

East Penn manufacturers Deka, and, in the same plant, manufacturers the Duracell brand automotive batteries available at Sam's Club for a bargain.

The extremely limited number of battery manufacturers "that matter" to you may not matter to others. For example, neither Exide nor Johnson Controls may matter at all when compared spec for spec to the offerings of Yausa, Enersys, and Northstar.

Hence, the internet lore of "there are only 3 battery manufacturers" needs to be dispelled as often as it arises, as there are other choices in battery manufacturers... choices that arguably produce superior quality batteries. Just like the myth that "Interstate makes the best batteries" when as has already been pointed out, Interstate merely markets batteries.

And Interstate's very effective subterfuge provides a great example why the "only 3 battery manufacturers" myth continues to have so much traction... once people become aware that the supposedly "best for Ford vehicles" Motorcraft battery is made by Johnson Controls just like the "genuine GM Parts" AC/Delco battery... and more importantly, just like the cheaper Costco Kirkland battery (now replaced with Interstate brand)... they get ticked at being tricked, and pass the word. But that word is only partially true. As Will Darden points out in his very long and detailed (and not always accurate, but continuously updated) list discerning battery manufacturers from brands, the battery business is constantly changing hands and brands.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Deka is a brand, not a manufacturer.

East Penn manufacturers Deka, and, in the same plant, manufacturers the Duracell brand automotive batteries available at Sam's Club for a bargain.

The extremely limited number of battery manufacturers "that matter" to you may not matter to others. For example, neither Exide nor Johnson Controls may matter at all when compared spec for spec to the offerings of Yausa, Enersys, and Northstar.

Hence, the internet lore of "there are only 3 battery manufacturers" needs to be dispelled as often as it arises, as there are other choices in battery manufacturers... choices that arguably produce superior quality batteries. Just like the myth that "Interstate makes the best batteries" when as has already been pointed out, Interstate merely markets batteries.

And Interstate's very effective subterfuge provides a great example why the "only 3 battery manufacturers" myth continues to have so much traction... once people become aware that the supposedly "best for Ford vehicles" Motorcraft battery is made by Johnson Controls just like the "genuine GM Parts" AC/Delco battery... and more importantly, just like the cheaper Costco Kirkland battery (now replaced with Interstate brand)... they get ticked at being tricked, and pass the word. But that word is only partially true. As Will Darden points out in his very long and detailed (and not always accurate, but continuously updated) list discerning battery manufacturers from brands, the battery business is constantly changing hands and brands.
You will probably also want to know that Exide is in the business of making Yuasa batteries as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Batteries... UGH...$$$$$