Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Sterling 10.25 carrier

Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sterling 10.25 carrier

Hey fte'rs... I recently installed a detroit locker in the rear... she's real tight now and you can feel the tires tuggin going around turns... great for the beach. I have the old carrier and the mechanic said it is a limited slip but not worth rebuilding (in the event I ever wanted to take the detroit locker out).

Is this old carrier just a hunk of junk now ??? what do you think?

Snag out...

Old 01-15-2019, 10:43 AM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
I’d keep it if I were you.

There is a very good chance you’ll rethink your Detroit locker after you chew through a set of tires at a record pace.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by beef ****
I’d keep it if I were you.

There is a very good chance you’ll rethink your Detroit locker after you chew through a set of tires at a record pace.

Yeah.. i was think the same... but can you rebuild it? is there a kit?

Old 01-15-2019, 11:40 AM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by afonda
Yeah.. i was think the same... but can you rebuild it? is there a kit?
Depends how bad it is, but yeah there are kits. Also, whether you’d do it all yourself. Shop-time vs cost of a whole new unit, etc.

I’d probably throw it in the scrap pile, as there are a lot of options aftermarket options available that are better than what came from the factory.

Even if it was in great shape, LSD clutch packs, in general, wear out and need replaced every so often. Not worth the hassle either in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:42 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas

Depends how bad it is, but yeah there are kits. Also, whether you’d do it all yourself. Shop-time vs cost of a whole new unit, etc.

I’d probably throw it in the scrap pile, as there are a lot of options aftermarket options available that are better than what came from the factory.

Even if it was in great shape, LSD clutch packs, in general, wear out and need replaced every so often. Not worth the hassle either in my opinion.
Yeah.. i think i agree... I believe there are some LSD or Posi's out there without the clutches for under $1k.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:53 AM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Yeah.. i think i agree... I believe there are some LSD or Posi's out there without the clutches for under $1k.
Yeah, I think my True-Trac was between $400-500 for just the part. No carrier/gears though, just the diff. mechanism.

There are a lot of different rear ends.

True-Trac is a gear driven unit (no clutch packs) that I think is best described as having ‘auto-lock’ functionality. It takes slippage on one wheel for the gears to even lock up, and I think it stays locked until you let off the throttle. I haven’t dicked around on pavement or tried to lay any rubber to see when it unlocks... so I don’t know for sure. I can confirm that it locks when one wheel slips at a low speed, however.

A (functioning) LSD is essentially locked full-time until the force of traction breaks it loose. (Force stronger than whatthe clutch pack can hold)

I looked at ARB’s air locking system, great option if you go off roading every weekend ... but it’s way more parts to mess with and potentially leak or fail. And also more costly. It wasn’t for me.

Had a Detroit locker like yours in past vehicles, that wasn’t for me either. The tires binding and bucking in turns (due to always being locked) and tire wear got old quick.

There are other options out there too.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:33 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Clutches are shot in mine and my guy said he won't even hoist the truck if I don't replace it with a tru trac.

Scrap it or offer it up on our free thread as a functionally working unit if you don't mind an open diff. I'm plowing alot less people as they tip over, so I'll run mine till I tip over.

Denny

Old 01-15-2019, 04:43 PM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
Clutches are shot in mine and my guy said he won't even hoist the truck if I don't replace it with a tru trac.

Scrap it or offer it up on our free thread as a functionally working unit if you don't mind an open diff. I'm plowing alot less people as they tip over, so I'll run mine till I tip over.

Denny
what do you mean tip over?

Old 01-15-2019, 04:59 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Your Killing me!! I'm gonna die right now! I could fall over laughing right now and not ever get up!

Shower, no C02 detector or smoke, Life alert battery inop...................................

Tip over....lol

Sorry for your loss. Mill it!

Denny

Old 01-15-2019, 05:25 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Your Killing me!! I'm gonna die right now! I could fall over laughing right now and not ever get up!

Shower, no C02 detector or smoke, Life alert battery inop...................................

Tip over....lol

Denny
lol dude wtf are you talking about?!

I was also lost by "tip over" - are you cow tipping?

Old 01-15-2019, 05:30 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
what do you mean tip over?

Tip over....lol

Denny
lol dude wtf are you talking about?!

I was also lost by "tip over" - are you cow tipping?
His clients are dying…dead people tend to tip over. Geesh

Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Can't offer any other tips. I'm saying, if the unit is still functional, don't fret failure. But if the OP is stuck on a posi need............scrap it or offer it. No big market for burned lsd's in our world unless someone just needs the right ratio open dif.

Tip over = die