Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Disengages tc lockup because of led bulbs

Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Then something is wrong. The running lights should not affect cruise or TC lockup. The brake light circuit certainly does, but not the running lights. I think you have a short somewhere.
Apparently from what I've read, the brake current sensor circuit thinks the brakes are on, because of the low resistance on the running lights, unless I misunderstood

edited :
the 3rd brake light is always partially on, and the led running lights appear to be the culprit. Somehow it senses resistance and that's what triggers it and the tc unlock.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Unplug both LED bulbs and see what happens.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:08 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Oh it worked 100% perfect right before the swap to led bulbs lol.
anyways shes in the shop getting block heater and new tires, have to deal with it maybe in a few days when it's not -36 😖

Old 01-30-2019, 01:04 AM
parkland
Post Fiend

managed to get truck into a friends shop, and installed resistor packs on each rear brake light. Truck now runs perfect, but no tail lights anymore. Brake lights work though. Strange as I wired the resistors with the brake lights which are working, but the running lights arent working 🤔.... not sure what to think about that yet. If the ground was bad, brake lights wouldnt work. Obviously power as they worked 10 minutes earlier.

also found the center line going to the injector pump was leaking fuel, friend managed to get 1/4 turn on the nut and it stopped leaking.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:19 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
So I wired in the left tail light cavity resistor from ground to light green orange, and in the right side ground to orange blue.
This gave me working turn and stop signals, and tq converter lockup.
This seems to be what everyone else has done, and seemed to work.

the fact that my running lights are gone now I'm assuming must be an electrical issue somewhere.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:00 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Put the stock bulb in it, and see if you get running lights too.
If so, YOUR LED BULB IS INCORRECTLY WIRED INTERNALLY.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:04 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
I was able to find a few led lights that would plug into the socket. They only have the single brightness design, emulation of a single filament you could say.
they light up fine with running lights on, but they cross the circuits as if the lights are off and you hit the brakes the running lights and dash light up haha.

so anyways obviously those other bulbs must have been meant for something else I guess, the power wires and ground seem good.
not sure why the resistor packs between turn signals and ground prevent the other half of the bulb from illumination, but as it was said maybe the way they're wired internally

Old 02-04-2019, 02:46 AM
DarkOverCast
Elder User
DarkOverCast is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's almost certain the bulbs are probably wire incorrectly, but I can't think of a vehicle with that same socket that had them wired differently.

Both the running light and brake light/blinker share the same ground. I wonder if the load resistor is dropping the voltage too low for the running light. I would try adding it on the power side for the blinker/stop light instead of the ground if you can't find any bulbs that fix this. Then it's isolated to only that circuit and not the running light.

A resistor is a resistor and it shouldn't matter what side you put it on. Sure blower motors use them on the ground side, but most electronic pcbs will use them on the power side as all grounds are shared. All your looking to do is add amperage to the circuit.

Also check your grounds for a clean good connection, and the main plug for the tail light harness, the square one around the driver side rear leaf shackle, unplug and replug it a couple of times, that's where my trouble always was.

If nothing else you could always add a second illumination bulbs to the housings if your dead set on running led's. You'll have the get creative here but I don't see why it's not doable,

Old 02-04-2019, 09:13 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
Ok I think I figured out something

now I'm wondering, the way the bulbs are controlled or run from the truck, if the running lights are on, and you say turn left, the left light alternates on/off. Not bright/dim.
the front alternates bright/dim.
is this a bulb issue or is that how its supposed to work?
would be nice to have a friend next door with same truck for checking things haha

Old 02-10-2019, 11:19 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
Figured it all out. It was the rear tail light bulbs. For some reason, the resistance on the turn circuits caused the running light part of the bulb to not turn on.
bought some sylvania led bulbs for 30 bucks, now everything works perfect.

so to anyone that wants to go all led on one of these trucks, the cheap LEDs seem fine for lights that are just on or off, but the front and rear turn bulbs may need to be a certain type or brand.
I used all Ebay bulbs and ended up swapping the front and rear turn bulbs to sylvania ones.

that, and the 2 resistor packs on the rear between ground and turn signal wires. That keeps the truck happy and tq converter locking and cruise control working.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.