External display instead of 4" - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

External display instead of 4"

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 01-14-2019, 07:45 PM
phiftybuick
New User
phiftybuick is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello,
I have an '18 SD with the 4" my ford screen.
The display is great for the stereo, but that's about it. I'd like to have a bigger display while backing up, as that display is no bigger than a cell phone. Does anyone know of a way (other than install the $$$ factory setup or aftermarket $$$) to send the display signal to, say, a laptop or Ipad? It's impossible to see anything on that tiny screen!
Thank you! 😉

Old 01-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Nope, you have to get an aftermarket camera and screen, or replace the headunit with an aftermarket HU or thew OEM 8" one.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:14 PM
phiftybuick
New User
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
Nope, you have to get an aftermarket camera and screen, or replace the headunit with an aftermarket HU or thew OEM 8" one.
Thank you.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:52 AM
GABAR
Posting Guru
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by phiftybuick View Post
Hello,
I have an '18 SD with the 4" my ford screen.
The display is great for the stereo, but that's about it. I'd like to have a bigger display while backing up, as that display is no bigger than a cell phone. Does anyone know of a way (other than install the $$$ factory setup or aftermarket $$$) to send the display signal to, say, a laptop or Ipad? It's impossible to see anything on that tiny screen!
Thank you! ��
How much would you be willing to spend on an aftermarket head unit?

Old 01-17-2019, 06:16 PM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have a two channel dash cam that displays on an android tablet - the one I use is 8 inches, but any size can be used, really. Using the dash cam allows me to monitor the bed of the truck even while I'm in motion, something the OEM HCSL camera doesn't do. Plus I get all the other functions a dash cam offers.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:19 AM
Lindenwood
Senior User
Lindenwood is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I have a two channel dash cam that displays on an android tablet - the one I use is 8 inches, but any size can be used, really. Using the dash cam allows me to monitor the bed of the truck even while I'm in motion, something the OEM HCSL camera doesn't do. Plus I get all the other functions a dash cam offers.
Could you post a link to the model you use? Is it wireless?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 AM
rwilimo
Posting Guru
rwilimo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
If you already have a factory back up camera, it can be connected to an aftermarket radio, that's what I have in my truck and it works very well

Old 01-18-2019, 09:52 AM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Could you post a link to the model you use? Is it wireless?
BlackVue DR750
Thinkware is another popular brand that costs a bit less than BlackVue. Neither of them is wireless. Actually, I'm not aware of any purpose built two channel dashcam that is wireless.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:13 AM
phiftybuick
New User
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
That's a great idea. I wonder if it could be connected to a laptop? Thanks!

Old 01-20-2019, 02:07 PM
wrvond
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by phiftybuick View Post
That's a great idea. I wonder if it could be connected to a laptop? Thanks!
BlackVue and Thinkware both connect to your device using wifi. So a wireless capable laptop would work just fine.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:18 PM
phiftybuick
New User
Thank you wrvond.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.