Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Reload this Page >

Ignition switch? Door latches? Interior light coming on when hitting bumps in the road

Notices
Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Ignition switch? Door latches? Interior light coming on when hitting bumps in the road

Old 01-14-2019, 01:04 PM
RSCHAP1
Elder User
RSCHAP1 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Wondering if anyone else has ever had similar issue and might be able to give me someplace to start....
Recently I have had the interior light above the rear view mirror come on along with the outside lights under the side mirrors when I have hit hard bumps and chuck holes while driving.
It seems to go through the same sequence after first getting in and starting the truck.
I took the steering column trim off and cleaned the ignition switch first with contact cleaner and then a shot of aerosol silicone spray.
Then I took the wiring connection off the switch, looked it over, cleaned, and re-assembled that with a small zip tie wrapped around to hopefully help keep everything hooked and connected.
Still had it happen afterwards so I started wondering if it was a door switch.
Obviously I don't see the old plunger style pin switches that popped into my head when I first started trying to think of what would cause this.
Guessing the latch assemblies must have switches integrated into them so I again sprayed contact cleaner then silicone into the openings I could access.
Again, still have the lights pop on after enjoying a hard thump from the lovely roads in my area.
(note: sarcasm since the roads are terrible here ! ! ! )
So before I get too carried away, thought I would see if there was any help here since I get pointed in the right direction when I am at least smart enough to ask

Thanks very much !!!

Old 01-16-2019, 11:48 AM
RSCHAP1
Elder User
2 days in a row I hit the same bump, same spot, and the "dome" light pops on.
I let it go for a while, then shook my key in the ignition switch.
It slowly faded off after the shaking.
Guessing there must be something in the ignition switch then...
I also hear something switching on/off whenever the sequence of the interior lights going on/off.
Thinking there must be a relay somewhere in the steering column in this set up too.
Maybe I will look into replacing the ignition switch and see if that is the issue when it gets warmer around here.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:21 AM
RSCHAP1
Elder User
Kept the key "forward" pushed further clockwise in the tumbler this morning.
No interior light on when I hit "the" bump that had been turning on the lights.
Now I am wondering what needs to be replaced...the ignition switch itself or the tumbler that accepts the key....hmm

Old 03-20-2019, 03:55 AM
RSCHAP1
Elder User
I finally replaced the ignition switch. Seems like it has fixed my dome light from coming on when I hit a bump. I saw some wear on the rotating portion of the switch. The "key hole" shaped pocket that aligns with the tumbler from the right hand/drivers side looked wore enough to make me think it wasn't getting turned far enough to actually engage the switch's mechanism causing the issue.
Now I gotta replaced the headlight switch since that seems to have an internal issue but still works and functions.
AND
Sway bar links in the front...ROTTEN POTHOLES ! ! !

Old 03-20-2019, 11:45 AM
shorod
Postmaster
shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.shorod has a great reputation on FTE.
Great find! Thank you for following up with what you found the fix to be.

-Rod

Old 03-20-2019, 11:57 AM
RSCHAP1
Elder User
Switch was cheap and easy enough.
Couple trim pieces off the steering column and a couple electrical plugs was most of it.
Was fearing the tumbler portion was needed, but not looking like it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.