Cam position sensor failure (?) question (7.3L 2002). Truck stalling. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Cam position sensor failure (?) question (7.3L 2002). Truck stalling.

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Lex2002
Posting Guru
Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.

Hey guys,

My 2002 with 220k miles stalled on the highway on this cold snowy day.

It felt like a misfire and then it turned off. I coasted to the shoulder. She restarted maybe 5 times...drove a few hundred feet and then died. Had her towed home and she started right up and drove normally for 5 minutes and then stalled.

I THINK its the infamous cam position sensor given the symptoms. I'm totally guessing here by the way! I know I had good pressure to the bowl because I have a gauge. The injectors are all original. The HPFP is original. Could be that too I suppose.

I do likely have summer diesel fuel in the tank. Truck gets used only intermittently....poor thing.

My question is, would I smell diesel fuel if my cam sensor was bad and I'm cranking the motor repeatedly?

Old 01-14-2019, 10:17 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Get a can of compressed air, open the hood, start the truck and let it run until it stalls. Once it stalls, try to restart the engine. If it does not restart, turn the can of compressed air upside down and spray the IPR to cool it off. Try to restart the truck. If the truck restarts, then the IPR needs to be replaced. If the truck does not start, you have another problem.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Lex2002
Posting Guru
Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.Lex2002 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Get a can of compressed air, open the hood, start the truck and let it run until it stalls. Once it stalls, try to restart the engine. If it does not restart, turn the can of compressed air upside down and spray the IPR to cool it off. Try to restart the truck. If the truck restarts, then the IPR needs to be replaced. If the truck does not start, you have another problem.
Hey Sous,

I have compressor. I assume that will do. But umm what is the IPR?

Old 01-14-2019, 10:26 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
A compressor will not do the job. You need the very cold air out of the upside down can of compressed air. You are cooling the IPR, not blowing oil or dirt off of it. Some people like to use cold water, but I would not because it is inevitable that cold water will run down into the valley on the hot engine.

The IPR is the sensor/valve with the tin nut on the end of it right toward the valley of the HPOP and HPOP reservoir.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:08 AM
Lex2002
Posting Guru
I just learned something new. Thanks Sous. If this sensor failed would it cause the diesel odor I was getting?

Also, I got a check engine light but it would go away an then come back. After I got home and off the tow truck, the check engine light was gone.

I dont have a code reader for this older motor. Only for OBDII. Maybe I need to go to parts store and see if they can read the code. Would Advance Auto be able to read a code from our trucks?

Guy on AMAZON says "My 2002 ford F250 Superduty 7.3 Liter stalled out, so had it towed home and started troubleshooting the problem. Diesel forums and YouTube are the best assistant for this. So, first changed out the Camshaft position sensor, did not help. Went ahead and replaced the heat related sensors oil and coolant, cause motor ran great until it warmed up, and it would just die. Let it sit and cool down, would fire back up until it warmed up again. So my next move was to purchase this CM5013 Motor craft 7.3 Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator 95.5-03 $147, best price I found with free shipping. So, pumped out the HPOP oil, replaced Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator and topped off the oil. Not too bad of a job, a little tight and a 29mm deep socket. Started it up and let it Idle, was a little rough cause of air in the system and computer relearning itself and then took for a test drive. So far so good it’s running great!"

This makes sense because the truck would start after it sat a while...and cooled off....presumably.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:25 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Parts stores can't read it, IPR would not cause a diesel smell. If you are leaking diesel it's usually not hard to find out where.
For scanning, it's not expensive. TorquePro for Android with bluetooth adapter and ForScan for Apple products with a WIFI scanner. There are a lot of bogus adapters out there so be careful on what you get.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:22 PM
Lex2002
Posting Guru
I need to get the adapter and software upgrade for my Autoenginuity software I use for my more modern vehicles to be able to read this old truck's reptilian brain.

Well I sure hope I'm not leaking diesel. Too much snow on the ground at the moment but I will get under the truck and look. In the meantime I ordered the IPR - Injectors Pressure Regulator. This truck had been "neglected" before I acquired it so Im positive that ZERO sensors have even been changed unless I changed them.

I thought the cam position sensor was at fault but that was a guess. I appreciate your help guys. I TRULY do.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Make sure you use only OEM sensors, these things don't like aftermarket versions.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Lex2002
Posting Guru
Old 01-14-2019, 02:14 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
That looks good, make sure it's the real McCoy, sometimes they try to pull a fast one on us. And check that socket for depth, it can be hard to get one that is deep enough. I believe that with what I have I have to slide the socket on and only insert the ratchet 1/2 way in to be able to grab the IPR.

ETA: suck the oil out of the HPOP reservoir first, you're going to have a mess anyway but that will help alleviate some of it.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Lex2002
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
That looks good, make sure it's the real McCoy, sometimes they try to pull a fast one on us. And check that socket for depth, it can be hard to get one that is deep enough. I believe that with what I have I have to slide the socket on and only insert the ratchet 1/2 way in to be able to grab the IPR.

ETA: suck the oil out of the HPOP reservoir first, you're going to have a mess anyway but that will help alleviate some of it.
Ill make sure its in a sealed FORD box.

Thanks for the tip! Ill let you know the results when I change the part. Thanks to both you fine fellas!

Old 01-14-2019, 04:01 PM
Lex2002
Posting Guru
Sous, Walleye,

Is it more common for the injector pressure regulator to fail than the ICP (Injection Control Pressure Sensor? (Ford F6TZ9F838A)

According to Deadhead Diesel: https://deadheaddiesel.com/7.3-ipr-i...ure-regulator/ It might be the ICP: "Careful though, many 7.3 Powerstroke IPR symptoms cause the same bad behavior in your diesel as a failing ICP, a leaking 7.3 HPOP, bad valve cover harnesses and even a bad IPR or ICP pigtail."

Old 01-14-2019, 04:11 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
You can check the IPR by performing the process I mentioned above. Basically, you are attempting to cool off the IPR to see if that resolves your stalling issues.

The ICP and IPR are not known to fail any more than the other, but they do fail. You can test the ICP by simply unplugging it and try running the truck with the ICP unplugged. No harm will come to the engine or truck as the PCM will set a default value for the ICP.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Lex2002
Posting Guru
Sous it did have time to cool off during the tow which would corroborate your theory of the IPR being bad. Also if the IPR blew its seals I imagine I could squirt fuel and cause the diesel odor no?.

If I wont notice a difference between the sensor being unplugged or plugged in how will that isolate the sensor or the regulator?

Old 01-14-2019, 04:59 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Lex2002 View Post
Sous it did have time to cool off during the tow which would corroborate your theory of the IPR being bad. Also if the IPR blew its seals I imagine I could squirt fuel and cause the diesel odor no?.

If I wont notice a difference between the sensor being unplugged or plugged in how will that isolate the sensor or the regulator?
You can indicate or remove the IPR as the problem by letting the truck warm up and stall, then try to restart it. If it doesn't restart, cool off the IPR and try to restart. If it starts, the IPR is your problem. If it does not start, the IPR is probably not the problem.

No diesel comes into contact with the IPR. You have a fuel leak somewhere or you are smelling exhaust coming from bad up-pipes or something similar.

The PCM will set a default value for a disconnected ICP. Although, a faulty ICP can cause problems by sending the wrong parameters or values to the PCM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.