General Automotive Discussion

Ram 1,000 lbs Torque

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:34 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob
Yes, but how do you keep the rest of a Dodge intact . . .
LOL.....That`s a good one but I`d replace the name "Dodge" with "FCA".

Old 01-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Isn't the 6R140 rated for up to 1,030 lbs of torque? I thought the rumors on the 10R140 were up to 1,000 lbs of torque.

So IMO, either Ford will surprise us with a 10R140 with higher ratings than the rumor mill has circulated or if they do go after breaking the 1,000 lbs number then maybe the 6R140 will be required to handle the extra torque.

I could also see Ford selling an upgraded motor with over 1,000 lbs for an additional fee over the 'standard issue' PSD. It would be a way to get more money out of customers who have to have the king of the hill torque.

Transmissions have 2 purposes...1. to help get heavy loads up and running efficiently, safely, predictable and reliably. Job #2 is to protect the engine. So the marriage between engine and transmission is a very important key to a properly set up vehicle and these HP/ Torque wars are often many years in the making as transmission and engine development go hand in hand and often in different upgrade cycles.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:03 PM
KCJackson1
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
You have 4 motors on the wheels, and batteries. No diesel motor, massive transmission, torque converters, DPF/DEF, fuel tanks, DEF tanks, emissions crap, alternators, etc. Not sure on an F150, but the weight difference between a F250 and an electric tow truck will be interesting. Battery tech has a lot going on right now too, 15 minute charges, lighter/longer lasting. Its definitely the future, but I can't imagine going boondocking with my toy hauler and having an electric truck. Maybe solar roofs when the tech gets better efficiency.
The problem for a light-duty pickup, let alone a heavy-duty pickup, is range. I can get a half-ton with a 34-36 gallon tank and drive all day long without refueling. The Super Duty 48-gallon tank can reach 1000 miles with the diesel, driven conservatively with a light load and no trailer. The only times I've spent 15 minutes at a gas station is when I was waiting for a pump. Electric trucks have to match the range as much as the pulling power, or truck owners won't buy. The batteries needed to get that kind of range would still require significant space and weight... and charging stations would have to massively grow in number. A diesel generator powering 4 traction motors locomotive-style may prove to be a better deal for owners in the near term.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:05 PM
PremierPOWER
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kendall69
Twice on the freeway going 60 mph I floored it and it started to fishtail like I was at a stop light - where
it got that power from I don't have a clue.
LMAO, no you didn't. Unless it was icy or wet and your tires are bald.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:43 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KCJackson1
The problem for a light-duty pickup, let alone a heavy-duty pickup, is range. I can get a half-ton with a 34-36 gallon tank and drive all day long without refueling. The Super Duty 48-gallon tank can reach 1000 miles with the diesel, driven conservatively with a light load and no trailer. The only times I've spent 15 minutes at a gas station is when I was waiting for a pump. Electric trucks have to match the range as much as the pulling power, or truck owners won't buy. The batteries needed to get that kind of range would still require significant space and weight... and charging stations would have to massively grow in number. A diesel generator powering 4 traction motors locomotive-style may prove to be a better deal for owners in the near term.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:36 PM
KCJackson1
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
I heard about the Atlis. A number of key issues:
1 - You have to find and use an Atlis charging station for that 15 minute charge. Doubtful they will be as plentiful (especially in the sticks) as gas stations.
2 - Atlis is likely counting on the $7500 tax credit to be price competitive with the current HD pickups.
3 - Still just a maximum of 500 miles in range, with no information about how much a premium you have to pay over the standard 300 mile range, nor what a significant load will do tho those range estimates. Cold weather in particular will have a significant effect on range with the need for electric heaters.

Commercial buyers in particular want return on investment, which is why they buy HD pickups as minimally equipped as they do. Consumers who want a luxurious rig to pull their home away from home don't want to stop every 250 miles to spend time to recharge. Is there a market for the Atlis as it sits now? Yes. There's always a niche that will want a product like this. But an all-electric pickup will have to have specs much closer to what we're driving now to make any inroads to the multi-million annual sales of Ford, GM, and FCA.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:41 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's just the beginning.
There's no stopping progress.
Buckle up!

Old 01-14-2019, 03:45 PM
kendall69
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
LMAO, no you didn't. Unless it was icy or wet and your tires are bald.

You're wrong on both counts. It happened on my way home from the dealer Southern Califoronia Desert and it hasn't rained here in years.
Tires only had 50 miles on them new from the dealer.
Nice try but EPIC fail on your part.

But please feel free to come up with some other excuses.

I suppose you aslo want to doubt that when I "punched" it my head hit the head rest yeaterday?

Go ahead I'll make some popcorn and see what you dredge up for that one.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:45 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I loath the thought if an electric heavy duty truck...both hybrid and all electric.

There is no replacement for displacement and there is no replacement for the sound of a powerful engine doing its work.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kendall69
You're wrong on both counts. It happened on my way home from the dealer Southern Califoronia Desert and it hasn't rained here in years.
Tires only had 50 miles on them new from the dealer.
Nice try but EPIC fail on your part.

But please feel free to come up with some other excuses.

I suppose you aslo want to doubt that when I "punched" it my head hit the head rest yeaterday?

Go ahead I'll make some popcorn and see what you dredge up for that one.
Sorry but need video or it did not happen. Just sayin...… I have vehicles that do what you say you did and they lol are not new, stock diesel trucks. LOL..

You drive this---I will believe you.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:06 PM
2017F250131
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets keep in mind that's 1000 Ft/Lbs from a six cylinder or 166.6 Ft/Lbs per cylinder...as compared to 115.6 per cylinder for the PSD

Old 01-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Can't wait to see what Ford has to offer up.. I however just ordered a 3500 SRW Longhorn with the HO 6.7,Auto Rear Leveling Air Suspension,Rambox etc for there "dealer stock".

I'm a diehard Ford guy but love the new RAM interiors and the Rear Air leveling Air suspension plus the Rambox. I'm patiently waiting Ford....

Old 01-14-2019, 04:10 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
New rear American axle with 12” ring gear in single and dual wheel , Wow that’s impressive!

Old 01-14-2019, 04:17 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
No doubt electrics are up and coming and certainly have their place, but, based on my singular experience driving one, they don't have much, if any, soul. I like the experience of "driving" a vehicle. Electrics are just a way of getting from point A to point B in as vanilla a fashion as possible.

If I was commuting 30 or 60 miles a day and just needed a shell to transport me back and forth, a Leaf would fit the bill just fine. I like to feel the engine working and I suspect pulling the Ike in an electric truck would be a huge disappointment.

Just my $.02.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:11 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam R
Electrics are just a way of getting from point A to point B in as vanilla a fashion as possible.
If I was commuting 30 or 60 miles a day and just needed a shell to transport me back and forth, a Leaf would fit the bill just fine. I like to feel the engine working and I suspect pulling the Ike in an electric truck would be a huge disappointment.
Just my $.02.
Elon Musk begs to differ. Have you ever driven a Tesla with 800 lbs of torque? Its anything but vanilla. I have a feeling were going to see massive torque electric vehicles here really soon. The logistics of using a truck and having it be electric are the only thing I'm still scratching my head over. It would be pretty cool to hook up my solar panels on my toy hauler to my truck and "refuel" for the couple days that I'm out boondocking in the Sierras or desert. That's actually a really awesome thought that I would never have to worry about fuel again, just stop, camp, and let the truck recharge.....we just arent there yet.

Vanilla what?

Quick Reply: Ram 1,000 lbs Torque