2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford F-250 pinch weld leak “they think”. Do I have a lemon on my hands?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 12:13 AM
Zamarrda
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford F-250 pinch weld leak “they think”. Do I have a lemon on my hands?

Hi all,
I bought a 2018 f-250 lariat and now have 4800 miles on it. The grab handle on the a-frame on the drivers side started having water come out of it! I took it to dealer and they said the drain tube wasn’t in all the way. I picked it up. It started leaking again during the next rain but now out of both screws on the grab handle down onto the vent/console clusterI Brought it back to dealer. They kept it and said the pitch weld in the frame above had not been sealed so they stuck some sealant in it! Now given a machine at the factory does this and not a human I asked: how do we know the rest of the truck isnt like this? His response: we don’t. I took the truck and 2 days later it’s leaking again and now there is also water coming out from behind the seal of the drivers side door?!!

This is now three times in for leaks into the cabin directly on the driver and near the instrument cluster. Also, there are no guarantees that they can confirm the rest of the pinch welds are sealed. I paid a lot of money for this truck and not only has it already diminished the value very quickly, but we have no true idea of where it may leak next?! Was reassuring for the service rep and the mechanic to start telling me how quality has gone out the window in recent years. Yikes!

Question: sound like a valid lemon law case? I am in ca.
Thanks for listening!

Old 01-14-2019, 05:02 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds more like bad service the bad truck, of they are not testing after the completed then who knows if what they did worked. I have repaired water leaks in many vehicles over the years and some can be quite tricky to figure out, even though you see it coming out of one place the source is actually quite a different place. I would get the service manager involved or find a new dealer.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:57 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Google your states lemon law to find out. All we would do is do the same to answer your question.

i agree on the bad service. Why aren't they taking a hose and running water all over it or taking it through a car wash to insure it is fixed?

Old 01-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
IIRC, 3 times and the issue isnt fixed and you can start your Lemon Law procedure. I guarantee they stop dicking you around as soon as they get that notification.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Zamarrda
New User
Originally Posted by rwilimo
This sounds more like bad service the bad truck, of they are not testing after the completed then who knows if what they did worked. I have repaired water leaks in many vehicles over the years and some can be quite tricky to figure out, even though you see it coming out of one place the source is actually quite a different place. I would get the service manager involved or find a new dealer.
Thank you for your reply. yeah, i think we are between bad service and lemon at this point. We'll see. Just wondering if others have seen it.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:06 PM
Zamarrda
New User
They have soaked it. You got me?!! Thats what I said.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:07 PM
Zamarrda
New User
Yeah, I went down this road with a Jeep(surprise surprise). My level of confidence the Pinch Welds is sealed throughout the truck are shot.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:20 PM
kendall69
Mountain Pass
I fought two lemon law cases and won both. First one took 3 years and 2 lawyers working pro bono ( they did charge the manudacturer and the dealer 60K for jerking us around) - they had to pay that plust I drove the vehicle for free for three years and they gave me a new on PLUS 100K warranty on the new vehicle.

After what I learned on teh forst Lemon I did the second lemon on my own. Took it in for the same problem (3) times still not fixed I enacted the lemon law. They knew I had them by the ball so the manufactirere begged me for one more try. I said OK you get one more try then it's a new vehicle for me. Two weeks later the manufaturer called and said order a new vehicle. The great thing about this one was I only paid 18K for the vehicle but it retailed for 24K the manufacturer gave me retail or the 24K for my vehicle. So withing a month I was ordering a new vehicle.

Because of the lemon law I take things back IMMEDIATELY for a fix AGAIN if it's not fixed that's how in a week I took my vehicle in again and again for the same fix after the third try - LEMON LAW. It's great because the service writers don't know you're setting them up for a lemon law, just be casual and keep taking it back repeating the same problem. Stupid service writers just write what you tell them, but legally if it says the same thing three times and NOT fixed - LEMON LAW.

You didn't say what state you are in all states are different.

Watch this guy and or call him for advice he seems pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMl...BJrxbUorWEnasg

I love the Lemon law, that's why I buy new because i'm protected no Lemon Law buying used.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:59 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Despite all of the advice here on the internet (have had several vehicles bought back actual lemon Law and others before it went that far) you need to fulfil the specific notification process to Ford and when you deliver the vehicle for the repair. Just because you have taken it in x amount of times you still MUST follow the process. The address for the Ford notification is in your users manual and be sure to look up the specific requirements of your state. Some states are easier than others for the consumer. Texas where I live is very specific. TEXAS MOTOR VEHICLE COMMISSION CODE (ARTICLE 4413(36) VERNON'S TEXAS CIVIL STATUTES) (LEMON LAW STATUTES)

Good Luck!!

Old 01-15-2019, 01:58 PM
kendall69
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
Despite all of the advice here on the internet (have had several vehicles bought back actual lemon Law and others before it went that far) you need to fulfil the specific notification process to Ford and when you deliver the vehicle for the repair. Just because you have taken it in x amount of times you still MUST follow the process. The address for the Ford notification is in your users manual and be sure to look up the specific requirements of your state. Some states are easier than others for the consumer. Texas where I live is very specific. TEXAS MOTOR VEHICLE COMMISSION CODE (ARTICLE 4413(36) VERNON'S TEXAS CIVIL STATUTES) (LEMON LAW STATUTES)

Good Luck!!
Also note to anyone thinking of this. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING, keep evert receipt ( oil change, car wash, light bulb, etc.) when lawyers get involved they will literally look at every letter of everything you and or your lawyer hands them.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:33 PM
P07Dad
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to lemon law a Chevy 2500 ( which in long run was good thing ended up buying a Ford) dealership begged over and over again that they had fixed after 10 times i had enough and went through process. Also had a friend contact Ford for a Buy back( NOT lemon law) and they treated him awesome.. call Ford Motor Company and try and go through "BUY BACK'

Old 01-16-2019, 11:22 PM
Birddog 250
New User
Grab handle leak

Originally Posted by Zamarrda
Hi all,I bought a 2018 f-250 lariat and now have 4800 miles on it. The grab handle on the a-frame on the drivers side started having water come out of it! I took it to dealer and they said the drain tube wasn’t in all the way. I picked it up. It started leaking again during the next rain but now out of both screws on the grab handle down onto the vent/console clusterI Brought it back to dealer. They kept it and said the pitch weld in the frame above had not been sealed so they stuck some sealant in it! Now given a machine at the factory does this and not a human I asked: how do we know the rest of the truck isnt like this? His response: we don’t. I took the truck and 2 days later it’s leaking again and now there is also water coming out from behind the seal of the drivers side door?!!
This is now three times in for leaks into the cabin directly on the driver and near the instrument cluster. Also, there are no guarantees that they can confirm the rest of the pinch welds are sealed. I paid a lot of money for this truck and not only has it already diminished the value very quickly, but we have no true idea of where it may leak next?! Was reassuring for the service rep and the mechanic to start telling me how quality has gone out the window in recent years. Yikes!

Question: sound like a valid lemon law case? I am in ca.
Thanks for listening!

Had the same grab handle leak. I taped a water hose to the top of the cab and ran water real slow in the gap between windshield and cab on drivers side. After about 5 minutes the drivers side grab handle started dripping. Took a picture of the hose and another of the water dripping inside. Showed the pictures to the service manager and they called the local auto glass shop. The leak was fixed by that evening. Good luck with your repairs.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
If going the lemon route as stated above check your states laws and document everything. I did this on my 03 Super Duty. Once your dealer catches wind that you are thinking about lemon law, they start to treat you very differently (better or worse depending on the dealer). Of course in my case it was much worse which just fueled my fire. My 6.0 PowerLeaker was 6 times over the Texas limit. Since my local dealer was being so rude to me I found the highest ranked Ford employee in the state and handed a copy of my Lemon Law form directly to him as well as sending it to Ford and the state. Needless to say their buy back office called me within a day or so. Ended up with Ford buying it back. No issues, no lawyer, etc. It was a slam dunk case on my end.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:46 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the exact same leak. It was the seal on side of the windshield. My dealer tried to fix it by just putting sealant on the outside (which I quickly rejected). The windshield needs to be pulled and resealed to fix it right. They broke my windshield pulling it out (exactly where they put the sealant), so I now have a nice new windshield that doesn't leak now.