Modular V10 (6.8l)  

New respect for those that have done exhaust studs; they're kicking my A$$

Old 01-13-2019, 11:42 AM
90limited
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New respect for those that have done exhaust studs; they're kicking my A$$

Sooooo.... Been working on the X for three days trying to replace exhaust manifold studs..

Day one: put on jack stands removed tires, inner fend liners, shocks and shock mounts and soak all the studs in PB. Also learned that front shocks were toast.

Day two: remove two studs on passenger side and three on driver side. That leaves two bolts/studs on each side. the others where already broken off. The second and third bottom from the front are still on each side. The ones that have almost no access because of the frame support for the motor. The nuts are rusted and there is no way to pound on a slightly smaller socket.

Day three: take the dremel with the wand attachment and am able to get the the third bottom nut on driver side off. Also was able to get the third bottom nut on passenger side about 2/3 cut using dremel right angle head before the gears in the head striped. Went to buy another and out of stock.... damn. I was able to pop the 2/3 cut nut off with an air chisel. That leaves me the second from front bottom on each side. The heads are rusted and I cannot get a socket to grab. For the life of me can't figure out how to get the dremel wand or anything else in there.

The crusty white pig is kicking my A$$. This is supposed to be the easy part. Haven't even started trying to remove the studs yet...... Anybody have any words of wisdom?

Also have the same thread in the Excursion forum.........

Old 01-14-2019, 06:15 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Dynamite?

I had to unbolt the motor mounts and jack the motor up. Pretty sure I used a small bottle jack on an oil pan bolt and just jack the motor up until it hit the firewall, taking care not to bend the tranny dipstick tube.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:04 AM
rvpuller
Received 426 Likes on 280 Posts

I didn't have to do them on my V10s but I did the right side on my 4.6, removed starter, completely removed motor mount, moved the A/C compressor forward and jacked the motor as high as I could. I only had 2 broken studs that I drilled out, and the rest I used a straight -and right angle air tool with a 3 in cutting wheels to cut one side of the nut off, they came off easy after that. I cleaned up the unbroken studs with a thread die and reused them along with Fel-Pro gasket because they are more forgiving than the Ford metal ones.

Denny

Old 01-14-2019, 08:48 AM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try some high grit sand paper to see if you can get some of that rust off to get your sockets on? Also don't forget heat helps in removal

Old 01-14-2019, 10:36 AM
90limited
Senior User
In the process of jacking the motor up now. Assume ok to use oil pan and block of wood?

Old 01-14-2019, 03:55 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by 90limited
In the process of jacking the motor up now. Assume ok to use oil pan and block of wood?
I use a small bottle jack and lift on one pan bolt if only lifting one side and a block of wood and jack on the pan as far forward as possible to lift both sides but be careful and stop when you meet resistance so you don't damage the pan.

Denny

Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Is there room for a nut breaker? I have some cheap ones from harbor freight and they have been a life saver a few times. They don't require much access either.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is an example.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:53 PM
90limited
Senior User
have manifolds and studs off. Top front on both heads busted in head and bottom rear on driver side. Welding isn't working for ****. Was just using nuts. Welded a washer on the front top on passenger. Used my last nut . That's what she said........🤣

I will get more nuts in morning and also pick up a right angle drill. Don't wanna spend money on templete thingy but might anyway. I'm using Miller 130xp mig. My guess is it doesn't have the horse power to get good penetration to make a good attachment to the broken stud.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:28 PM
CousinJordo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have all my respect for even attempting this.

All the pioneers on here that have done and documented it before me simply gave me the motivation to pay someone. I also don't have all the tools in my box I'd really need to do this right (specifically, a right angle drill and a welder).

I wasted a lot of cash in the process, but she purrs great now and I'm over the heartache from it.....kinda

Old 01-23-2019, 07:05 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welding worked for me. I used flux core wire with the gas shield removed from the tip of the gun and wasn't afraid to turn up the heat, You need to penetrate the stud for the welds to hold. I was amazed there was no damage to the aluminum threads at all!

Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 AM
rvpuller
When I drilled mine out I drilled a pilot hole with a 1/8 bit after center punching it, the I used a left hand twist bit to open the hole up. The first stud came right out as soon as I started drilling with the left hand bit, the second one I had to drill out and then use a tap to remove the rest of the stud and clean up the treads, be sure to mark the depth on your bit with tape so you don't go to deep and take your time and keep it straight. I ended up cutting the left hand bit off to a stubby bit because my control arm bracket was in the way, don't be afraid to improvise.

Denny

Old 01-24-2019, 03:04 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CousinJordo
All the pioneers on here that have done and documented it before me simply gave me the motivation to pay someone.
This X 100. Or $900 which is what it cost me along with the rest of the exhaust mods the shop did.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:46 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I’ve done this on 4-5 V10s and a few 5.4L too. I use a little Lincoln 115v 100A welder with .035 flux core wire. Run it on it’s hottest setting. If they are broken below the heads, slowly build up the stud with some good tac welds. Than burn a bit on there really nice. They usually come right out. Some times it takes a few times to get it hot enough to get them to come out on the really bad ones. I haven’t used a drill since the huge headache I had on the first one I did. The welder is your friend on these.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:07 AM
90limited
Senior User
damn.... broke a bit. The bit that broke is off is in a new 1/8 hole below the off center hole that I got from using the template. Was trying to split the stud so to speak so I could pick the pieces out.

I have welded on it twice with no luck. The stud left in the hole is crowded to the head. Tried running the drill bit in the larger hole and chipped the bit.

Also the back bottom stud on this same head can't be drilled. I have drilled on it for an hour. Going through 6 1/8" bits and maybe an 1/4" deep. This stud was busted off in head before I started. I wonder if someone put a hardened bolt in there.

I'll work on it tomorrow but I don't see how it can be fixed without removing the head

Old 01-26-2019, 08:09 AM
90limited
Senior User
Well..... got the busted bit out. Will have to helicoil that hole but I'm ok with that.

Used a diamond bit that looks like a little hole saw.

Now on in to the hardened stud with a carbide bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New respect for those that have done exhaust studs; they're kicking my A$$