1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

302/351 winndsor engine oil leaks...??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:52 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
302/351 W engine oil leaks...??

Just wondering if any of you with a small block Ford Windsor engine have problems with an oil leak at the front of the engine, oil pools up on top of the timing cover then the fan sprays it everywhere making a total mess. I had replaced the intake manifold and was sure to put a healthy bead of silicone on both front and back and don't see any leaks in that area. I have new Felpro valve cover gaskets and replaced the O-ring on the distributor. I would like to get this solved over this winter if possible. It's an obvious slow leak but fast enough to pool over several hundred miles of driving but no sign while idling or revving the motor at a stand still..rather frustrating..

Last edited by 56panelford; 06-19-2021 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-12-2019, 06:04 PM
moejr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,015 Likes on 479 Posts
you need a timing cover gasket is what I'm guessing, pull the water pump and timing chain cover.... redo w/ sealer & new gaskets, should take care of it.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:12 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
I was hoping that wasn't the case, if it is it's going to need to wait until next spring or summer so I have more room to work. I'd need to remove the hood so it would be easier to remove all the pulleys and brackets..

Old 01-12-2019, 09:23 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
On my most recent 351W build I installed a V/A Front Runner accessory kit and was more than upset that it had an oil leak. After a lot of cussing and knucklebusting I found that the crankshaft seal was faulty...the retaining spring around the seal had popped out of the rubber seal and the resulting loss of tension allowed oil to seep past the seal. It did not occur to me to look into the seal until I had dropped the oil pan and found the spring in the pan...the spring was no longer in a circle since the "weld" that held the ends together had broken free. This was a first for me!

Old 01-13-2019, 09:03 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Your oil leak was on the low side of the timing cover Charlie or did you have it on top too. I don't have the V/A front runner on this one but purchased the brackets and pulleys from CVR. New water pump was installed and longer bolts from the new brackets but timing cover was never removed but did change out the oil pan for a rear sump. When I had the distributor out the O-ring was cracked and brittle and replaced it and hoping it's just the wrong sized O-ring that is the problem. I was wondering if the oil pooling on top of the timing cover is a common problem because I see a lot of these motors covered in oil..

Old 01-13-2019, 09:23 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi friends,
On my 351W, my leak seems to have come from the valve cover bolts coming loose. I now regularly check them - once a month if I drive it often that month. But I managed to stop the major culprit which was originating from the rear of the intake. Seems like someone forgot to put that seal on... Dummy me. Then after a lot of foul language, I talked Dad into spending time with me and his old ”new” truck and we - really he - got the job done. I was elated! No, still am... I now happily can say there is no more oil leaks coming from the 351W. Yay!
Paul
After re-reading my post, I wonder why I even wrote it..?

Old 01-13-2019, 09:52 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry John, I can only feel bad for you and offer no help. I know the feeling but not your motor. I had to take my hood off, the radiator out, the pulley system off, water pump, oil pan, etc. to fix a leak coming from my timing cover.

Paul, it is always good to hear from you!

Old 01-13-2019, 09:56 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by topmoo
Sorry John, I can only feel bad for you and offer no help. I know the feeling but not your motor. I had to take my hood off, the radiator out, the pulley system off, water pump, oil pan, etc. to fix a leak coming from my timing cover.

Paul, it is always good to hear from you!
If it comes to that it will be a summer job Topper, with both trucks parked in the shop for the winter I have no room to take the hood off and store it safely..

Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Sealing the intake manifold on SBFs is always a challenge. I do not have a front side leak any longer but the rear of the intake is seeping. Silicone sealants are great IF they are applied to a clean surface...once the silicone starts seeping you can't apply more sealant to it as it won't stick. I guess that the only good side of these leaks is that Ford made the block casting a recess into which the oil can puddle...the trick is to clean it out before the fan blows it around. Good luck...

Old 01-13-2019, 11:02 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Down the rabbit hole you go John . Since you have the cover off you might want to change timing chain-gears , then there's the cam , and whats the point of doing that when the windsor's are known for poor heads . Aluminum is best but then you need new rockers , pushrods and guide plates . As we move downward maybe freshen up the bottom end but you know a stroker kit really isn't that much more than a rings , bearings and pistons The good news is you have the winter to save and shop . Good luck my friend .

Old 01-13-2019, 11:12 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by EBEAR
Down the rabbit hole you go John . Since you have the cover off you might want to change timing chain-gears , then there's the cam , and whats the point of doing that when the windsor's are known for poor heads . Aluminum is best but then you need new rockers , pushrods and guide plates . As we move downward maybe freshen up the bottom end but you know a stroker kit really isn't that much more than a rings , bearings and pistons The good news is you have the winter to save and shop . Good luck my friend .
I've often thought of purchasing a crate motor to replace this one but it still runs good and has more than enough power for my driving pleasure. If I were to do all that I'd have to forgo the project I might pick up in the spring

Old 01-13-2019, 12:39 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean with brake cleaner and run for an hour or so, usually the pooling on those engines is the intake front.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:39 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Yup just joking . If your good with the power fix and drive . A friend of mine bought a sbc 383 stroker for his nova and paid around $ 5,000 . I told him he should have been able to build it himself allot cheaper ( he is capable ) . So I decided to build my sbf stroker myself . As it turns out $ 5,000 is quite a bargan .

Old 01-13-2019, 12:43 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
What I'm afraid of about getting more power under the hood would likely mean getting the transmission beefed up also for another 2-3 grand then next thing you know you're out of pocket 10 G's

Old 01-13-2019, 01:03 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When I couldn't find a slow leak on my 302 the guys here suggested flouriest die in the oil and a black lite. Got a low $ kit off Amazon. And after cleaning off all old residue I was able to find the source of the leak very quickly.

Quick Reply: 302/351 winndsor engine oil leaks...??