Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck won’t shut off

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:22 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Stock photo but here it is...

Today is his day off so he went and bought a new ignition switch and GPCM. Will try the switch first... then see what happens from there.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

So update in case any cares.
We had some snow recently and I almost forgot to have him check but...wet carpet on drivers side.
So.. GEM pulled and dried, Fuse box dried. Same issue. Connect batteries and everything is in the RUN state.
So replaced switch on steering column.. Truck starts and stops as it should now, but...still in RUN state even with key off. Weird but PROGRESS!
Pull GEM again and dry some more. Reinstall and same thing. Only now.... When try to start with key... just a single CLICK. Sooooooo
Check all connections, clean anything found with any corrosion. Still no go,
By pass the solenoid on the firewall and it starts. WTH!!! So will replace solenoid today.
I may have to steal my buddies truck. I think he is contemplating using some percussion engineering with a 12lb sledge hammer.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:38 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

OK New solenoid...still no start. Only a CLICK. But can bypass the solenoid and it starts & runs just fine. Going to check the switch on the steering column again to be sure it isn't loose or that the rod isn't pushing it far enough to turn over the starter. Batteries checked and both are good to go.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:46 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A good troubleshoot is to test start/stop function from the ignition switch only. You'll have to pull it down and move the switch by hand, this is very easy. In fact, this switch is why our truck are so damn easy to steal. If all functions work in the right order on the switch, then you likely have an actuator rod or gear problem and it's time to start digging.

My ignition actuator rod pin fell out once, it is far from easy to get to but it can be done. It's buried in the column between the switch and tumbler assembly. Pain in the *****. I posted sort of a how-to thread about this a while back, last July maybe? It can be done without pulling the whole column out but you need patience and steady hands.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:10 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by beef ****
A good troubleshoot is to test start/stop function from the ignition switch only. You'll have to pull it down and move the switch by hand, this is very easy. In fact, this switch is why our truck are so damn easy to steal. If all functions work in the right order on the switch, then you likely have an actuator rod or gear problem and it's time to start digging.

My ignition actuator rod pin fell out once, it is far from easy to get to but it can be done. It's buried in the column between the switch and tumbler assembly. Pain in the *****. I posted sort of a how-to thread about this a while back, last July maybe? It can be done without pulling the whole column out but you need patience and steady hands.
I told him it really seems to be on the switch area. He is gonna dig more in there on his next day off. Maybe he will get lucky and find it this time.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:14 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyBob69
OK New solenoid...still no start. Only a CLICK. But can bypass the solenoid and it starts & runs just fine. Going to check the switch on the steering column again to be sure it isn't loose or that the rod isn't pushing it far enough to turn over the starter. Batteries checked and both are good to go.
Is the click sound somewhere else or the actual fender starter relay? By bypassing it do you mean jumping the two big terminals? Here is a pic of my E99 fender starter relay, Federal truck. The one wire that pulls off is the trigger wire that activates the solenoid from ignition switch. You can unplug that wire and using a small jumper wire from that relay terminal to battery plus and the engine should crank. If so then yes it's a wiring issue or as you stated something else.

On edit: