Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

My 1st restoration

Old 01-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Johnny Carnes
Freshman User
Johnny Carnes is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lightbulb My 1st restoration

Hi everyone I am new here. I am restoring a 82 F150 stepside this is my 1st restoration. I started back in August on a truck that has not moved in the last 20 years. I stripped the truck down to the frame and cleaned it with a grinder and wire brush and coated the frame with Eastwoods Rust encapsulator. Here is a few pictures from before I started to now.

Attached Images    
Old 01-12-2019, 05:35 PM
81F(ranken)100
Senior User
81F(ranken)100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome! And looking great! Keep the pictures coming!

This site and the contributors here are an amazing resource. I try to help when I can.

Which engine and transmission? What are your plans and intentions for the truck?

Looking forward to to seeing more.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Johnny Carnes
Freshman User
It had a 302 but thinking of 351w and it has a C6 transmission. It wont be a every day driver

Old 01-12-2019, 07:10 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Johnny, I knew I liked your flare side (step side is a chevy) just seeing the door & fender in primer.
Are you doing all the work your self or you need to send some of it out?
Keep the pictures coming, we love picture.

My 81 F100 flare side started Dec2015, also a cab off frame rebuild, not a restore as I have added a few custom touches.
Added factory AC to a non-AC truck (fire wall swap), duel fuel tanks (never an option), and a metal ribbed bed floor in place of the wood that was to much $$ to put wood back in.

Picture of mine as of 7-4-2018

Dave ----

Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Johnny Carnes
Freshman User
No be taking it to someone. just getting the surface rust off. The cab had the metal headliner in it and it has rusted out all around the outside of truck going to have it replaced. Just trying to do what I can to save money where I can.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Johnny Carnes
Freshman User
Here some pictures of the inside cab. I got another cab to have top replaced.

Attached Images    
Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
The roofs on our trucks are 2 parts, the outer you see from out side and then what you see from the inside or you call a metal headliner.
There is a gap between the 2 "layers" and they did not coat / paint the sides of the gap and why they rust out.

When I was trying to sand the body filler on the roof (outside part) it kept flexing. I was told to use spray foam between the layers.
It will do 2 things besides keeping the outer part from flexing in when sanding. It will help keep the noise down coming in from the roof and it helps insulate from the heat of the sun coming in and cold if you drive it when cold out.
BTW I was lucky my roof inside or outside were not rusted thru, cant say that of the floors, rocker, cab corners or the bed.
Dave ----

edit: WOW I have seen some where the outer part is rotted but never both!

Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 PM
Johnny Carnes
Freshman User
I have a little bit of metal work to do on the floors to. What kind of welder are you use to weld panels

Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Johnny Carnes View Post
I have a little bit of metal work to do on the floors to. What kind of welder are you use to weld panels
I have a Lincoln SP-135 plus MIG with gas. I bought it to do sheet metal work on other project cars. The house I was in before now only had 110 volts in the garage.

It runs off 110 volts and using Argon mix for gas. I have used Co2 (it was free) for gas and it work better than Flux core (no gas) wire for welding but the Argon mix is the way to go.
For sheet metal work use the thinnest wire you can get, I forget what I have in mine with out checking the welder.

I also have a Speed Glass auto dark helmet, works great. I wear glasses but need to take them off so I can see when welding, my eyes don't focus too good up close and the reading part of my glasses does not work good either for welding. Yes I got issues LOL.
I should also let you know I have been trained to do body work back in the 70's from pulling dents to full paint jobs, my dad was a body man.

If you are looking for patch / replacement panels check out http://tabcoparts.com/ I used them for my sheet metal panels and they fit great.

Dave ----

Old 01-13-2019, 10:42 AM
81F(ranken)100
Senior User
81F(ranken)100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
When I was trying to sand the body filler on the roof (outside part) it kept flexing. I was told to use spray foam between the layers.
It will do 2 things besides keeping the outer part from flexing in when sanding. It will help keep the noise down coming in from the roof and it helps insulate from the heat of the sun coming in and cold if you drive it when cold out.
Not to hijack, but I like that idea! I had the same flex issue, but that was just when cleaning the surface rust to protect it. Full blocking and paint is down the road (wayyyyyyyyy down the road at my snails pace).

If/when you do yours, Iíll be interested to see how. Iím guessing some well placed holes on the inside to get the foam in? Otherwise some sort of tube extension for the foam can and reaching through the cab light hole?

Anyway, hijack over!

Old 01-13-2019, 11:11 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 81F(ranken)100 View Post

Not to hijack, but I like that idea! I had the same flex issue, but that was just when cleaning the surface rust to protect it. Full blocking and paint is down the road (wayyyyyyyyy down the road at my snails pace).

If/when you do yours, Iíll be interested to see how. Iím guessing some well placed holes on the inside to get the foam in? Otherwise some sort of tube extension for the foam can and reaching through the cab light hole?

Anyway, hijack over!
It is already done and yes a rubber hose extension in thru the light hole and the holes for the sun visors .
Don't know if it expanded to fill the whole inside or not but it held the outer panel firm for sanding body filler.

The outer panel looked like someone danced on it. Before I did the foam I pulled the dents out, with welded studs and puller, to get it as flat as I could.
It is not show stopper flat but works for what I am building the truck for, to use!
Dave ----

ps: just make sure the dome light wire is in place before you fill with foam as I don't think you will be able to run the wire up to it.
and no I have not tried to run the wire yet.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:05 PM
The Terrible Blob
Senior User
The Terrible Blob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good to see more flaresides. I am fixing one up too. I'll be following this thread, looking good!

Old 01-30-2019, 07:51 PM
Johnny Carnes
Freshman User
I got some wheels and tires back on the truck so I can get it moved around. Sorry but going to be slow here for the next few weeks just so you all know.

Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2019, 05:43 PM
Johnny Carnes
Freshman User
I got the bed taken apart today.

Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2019, 06:15 PM
diggerrigger
Senior User
diggerrigger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hard to believe that bed and cab came from the same truck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.