Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to make slight turns

Old 01-12-2019, 10:06 AM
mrshirls
New User
mrshirls is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unable to make slight turns

Hi All,

Has anyone had trouble where the steering is tight to make a small turn, then after it moves a bit, the tension on the steering wheel goes back to normal? so turning around a corner feels normal, but when driving, it looks like I am drunk, too far left, too far right, repeat. The problem was intermittent but it all the time now and getting worst. I was thinking maybe the damper. Also I noticed a spot on the ground under her yesterday. Going out to take a peek, but hoping someone has had similar to help fix it fast, its cold and snowing.

2000 ltd 4x4.~130k miles.

Thx

Old 01-12-2019, 02:38 PM
mike71800b
Junior User
mike71800b is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds familiar, have a look at some of my comments in the thread The wandering EX

Old 01-12-2019, 08:07 PM
mrshirls
New User
Thanks Mike, I saw that one but I did not look too close as I thought it was about loose steering.

It turned out to be the steering damper after all. I removed it and the trouble went away. I want to put a new one back on though, as you feel too much and there is a bit of vibration without it. Go figure.

I'll have to figure out what to do though, it looks like it is missing the stock mounting bracket. The previous owner put on a KYB Steering Damper Kit, and they replace the stock mount.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:34 PM
unleashd
Posting Guru
unleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to behold

Which part are you missing? The pentagonal shaped bracket that connects it to the tie rod?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 PM
mrshirls
New User
Yes the pentagonal shaped bracket has been replaced, It was replaced with the one below where the mounting hole is on a plate perpendicular to the end of the shock as shown below (90 degrees from stock). The bushing on the one shown below goes in the mount on the passenger side.

I could just replace with the same. I have no idea how long this one was put on. Before it failed, it felt nice. I can totally feel what it was damping out now that it is off, and I only drove around the block a few times, no highway.

I think I'd like to go with something else, but this is just a daily driver. I am not sure if the cost/hassle of an upgrade is worth it.

I have seen that the Rancho's sell a mount, but I am not sure if that fits. Not sure of the dia of my linkage -- which I could easily measure -- nor the clamps.
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-13-2019, 12:18 PM
unleashd
Posting Guru
unleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to beholdunleashd is a splendid one to behold
Have you tried to replace the steering dampener? For a replacement bracket, you could look at junkyards as well. Should be an easy part to remove and prolly cheap as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.