'77 400 ci vacuum advance and distributor questions - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

'77 400 ci vacuum advance and distributor questions

Old 01-13-2019, 07:29 PM
azroxx
FE new guy learning
azroxx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
Fixed it for you...
THANK YOU!!! The counter guys were not much help at O'Reillys and the lovely older couple that run AutoMart are Chevy people, very good info on the advance part number!!

They told me they could get me a reman distributor shaft in 7-10 days for about 80 bux, based on the catalog he was looking at.

I will run this part number by them and see if it comparable to the one they would order for me on the shaft, not sure if he meant an assembly or just shaft now that I think about it!

Last edited by azroxx; 01-13-2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 01-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Action4478
Post Fiend
Action4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputation
The vacuum only works at Idle . When gas turned to crap I had trouble with a stumble . I advanced the timing only to get detonation .

After looking in to it , I decided to elongate the slot in the distributor to allow longer de-advance when at at low vacuum ( full throttle). No detonation & truck responds as it should .

Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by azroxx View Post

They told me they could get me a reman distributor shaft in 7-10 days for about 80 bux, based on the catalog he was looking at ... not sure if he meant an assembly or just shaft now that I think about it!
You want a complete distributor... Nod your head "Yes..."

Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 PM
azroxx
FE new guy learning
azroxx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post

You want a complete distributor... Nod your head "Yes..."
Ha ha, I get it...I really want to stay away from the box store and deal with people face to face so I am using AutoMart. I can and have ordered online but at this point, standing in an old dusty store in small town Kansas appeals to me...plus the crap weather is not good for my crawling around on an bum knee anyways.

I am 53 and bought one of those stands that you roll up on the radiator support area and hang off over the engine. Gives my abused body a break now and then.

My long suffering blushing young bride of 4 years does lots of eye rolling when I start getting a gleam in my eye lately talking about a truck issue...good thing she does not mind doing dishes, I might have traded her in already.

Anyways, I appreciate all the advice, I am learning and overall enjoying the learning process. I am an aircraft/helicopter mech...I can do all kinds of magic on them but my old Fords leave me dummied out a lot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.