used superduty. Opinions please! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

used superduty. Opinions please!

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 01-11-2019, 08:03 PM
alliz1986
New User
alliz1986 is starting off with a positive reputation.

hello everyone!! I currently have an F150 but am looking to make the switch to an F350 soon. I am going to look at one tomorrow with high KMís. 100,000 and itís a 2017.

Never having owned one and not know much much at all about them, what kind of life span do the trucks have? And what can I expect to need to do maintenance wise around this 100-150,000km mark.
thank you all for the opinions and insights!!

Look forward to hopefully contributing to the auperduty forums forums in the near future.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Elder User
Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.Alaskan_Warbird has a great reputation on FTE.
Howdy! Can you give some more details on the truck? 6.2L or 6.7L? How many owners? What packages does it come with and any customizations? Single rear wheel (SRW) or Dually (DRW)? Any idea how it was used? Has it been well maintained and by whom?

My initial thoughts with just the info you've provided are - that's a LOT of miles in a short time. I'd make sure to take a good look under the hood and under the truck itself. The 2017+ SD's are great trucks and mine, so far, is holding up extremely well.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:11 PM
JetMechJoe
Freshman User
JetMechJoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
depends on what the truck was used for and how it was maintained. A truck with that type of mileage sounds like it was used to travel often and over long distances. Usually, trucks used in that manner are used for business purposes of hauling various items. I personally wouldn't even consider something like that. Are you looking at a 6.7 or 6.2 engine? (gas or diesel)

Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 PM
Joe T
Senior User
Joe T is starting off with a positive reputation.
62k miles.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:29 PM
alliz1986
New User
6.7 diesel yep. And I did look at the carfacts or whatever itís called and it looks like it was used mainly as a commuter from out of town into town. Itís the single axel. Judging by the pictures it didnít look like it was used a ton for hard work. The box had very few scratches and dents (no box liner) - it has aftermarket wheels and looks to be leveled. its a lariat and has most of the options available to.

bought late 2016 trades in late 2018

Old 01-11-2019, 11:56 PM
slip knot
Junior User
slip knot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Its a 2yr old truck with 4+yrs worth of miles on it. as long as its priced accordingly it could be a good deal. I looked at a 2017 with 36K miles on it. the dealer wanted as much for it as the one I had planned on ordering. I offered $10K less. No deal. I placed the order for the 2019. Know the numbers first.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:59 PM
fortheford
Junior User
fortheford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
Its a 2yr old truck with 4+yrs worth of miles on it. as long as its priced accordingly it could be a good deal. I looked at a 2017 with 36K miles on it. the dealer wanted as much for it as the one I had planned on ordering. I offered $10K less. No deal. I placed the order for the 2019. Know the numbers first.
^ Exactly. Used truck prices are *ridiculous* especially only 3-5 years old. If the truck your looking at is 50% less then a new great, but if it is 75-80% price of a new truck no way would I make a deal for a 100k mile truck, no matter how "young" or well cared it may look.

Anyway, good luck!

Old 01-12-2019, 12:56 AM
Imadentguy
Senior User
Imadentguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Meh...... problem with high mileage is that it is never adequately figured into the value of the vehicle. ďTheyĒ all want waaaay to much for higher mileage used vehicles, and especially pickups. Follow your gut.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:34 AM
jb4xx
New User
jb4xx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds similar to the truck I bought Wednesday. 2017 f350 ccsb srw lariat ultimate with 82k miles. Carfax shows oil changes every 5k and new front brakes at 72k. The brake pedal shows some wear but theres not a scratch or ding anywhere. Looks like it never hauled anything except some bags of groceries. Came with aluminum folding hard shell bed cover and weathertech mats front and rear.
still has ford engine warranty until 100k

My truck is apparently one of the first 2017s. It was manufactured august 2016.

if you like it and price is right...buy it

Old 01-12-2019, 05:03 AM
Lindenwood
Junior User
Lindenwood is starting off with a positive reputation.
As long as it wasnt used for towing and was well-maintained, you are certainly better off with a 2-year-old truck with 4 years worth of miles than the opposite.

Whether you start the truck and drive 2 miles, or start the truck and drive 50 miles, that is still only one cold start on the engine, one activation of the starter, one use of the locks and doors, etc. Twenty-five separate 2-mile trips would be way harder on the vehicle. I would verify that the engine's idle time reflects a lot of longer trips (i.e. perhaps less than 20% of total engine time), and check maintenance records.

IFF the price is right, and you arent scared of the maintenance concerns that come with higher mileage modern diesels, go for it!

Oh, and as far as price goes, I personally consider a commuter vehicle as "used up" by 200k miles, with a value of zero. In your case, that means 1/3 of the truck's value is gone, so you absolutely shouldn't pay more than 2/3 of new (~67%). In reality, vehicles definitely don't epreciate linearly--there is a steep reduction in value over the first few years that flattens out with age.

So, as mentioned above, I wouldnt buy it for more than 55-60% of new, and would feel pretty good about 50%, assuming buying new is an option you're considering at all.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:30 PM
alliz1986
New User
Thank you everyone!

Old 01-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to behold
Most of these trucks are like race horses meaning they like to run a lot daily. With the 6.7 diesel a well maintained truck ought to go 200 to 300K miles easily in a few years with no towing or any abuse. Short miles on a diesel is a killer in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.