Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first tow with the ex

Old 01-11-2019, 03:22 AM
rdinmv
Senior User
rdinmv is starting off with a positive reputation.
first tow with the ex

Picked up this 05 last Aug, thanks to this forum I picked the right upgrades, Towed this 13.5k 1550 lb TW weekend warrior 30 foot toyhauler 500 mile round trip to the desert, up/down huge grades on interstate 8, 20-25 mph winds and it towed like a dream, no sway, no purposing, no bouncing,straight as an arrow, I drove the whole trip with one hand on the wheel, the smoothest ride towing of any truck I have towed this trailer with.

The ride even got smoother with 60 psi in the air bags on the way back. my combo: V & C ats springs,hellwig front and rear sway bars, rancho 9000's, 275/65.20 LRE tires 65psi front, 80 psi rear, air lift 5000 ultimate air bags, superhitch 20k hitch, equalizer 1400lb wd/ sway control hitch (from craigslist) the 6.0 pulled great, egt's never past 1170, CT and OT were all over the place but delta never past 12, trans never past 175. To those who have the helwig rear bar, I bought the front bar (with my amazon rewards points) it really compliments the rear bar, it somehow made the ride smoother even going up driveways at an angle and it is perfectly flat around corners and feels very neutral now no oversteer or understeer. I highly recommend it.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:28 AM
loganj01
Senior User
loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a great reputation on FTE.
That's a really nice looking Ex.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Magnus E
Posting Guru
Magnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud of
Agree nice Excursion and trailer- but 13500 lbs is not legal for the Ex that has a max tow rating of 12500lbs. Just in case you get pulled over.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:43 PM
my3sonsdad
Junior User
my3sonsdad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by rdinmv View Post
To those who have the helwig rear bar, I bought the front bar (with my amazon rewards points) it really compliments the rear bar, it somehow made the ride smoother even going up driveways at an angle and it is perfectly flat around corners and feels very neutral now no oversteer or understeer. I highly recommend it.
Good to hear! I just order both bars over the holidays.

...and yes, a very nice looking X

Old 01-11-2019, 06:50 PM
my3sonsdad
Junior User
my3sonsdad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by rdinmv View Post
Picked up this 05 last Aug, thanks to this forum I picked the right upgrades, Towed this 13.5k 1550 lb TW weekend warrior 30 foot toyhauler 500 mile round trip to the desert, up/down huge grades on interstate 8, 20-25 mph winds and it towed like a dream, no sway, no purposing, no bouncing,straight as an arrow, I drove the whole trip with one hand on the wheel, the smoothest ride towing of any truck I have towed this trailer with.

The ride even got smoother with 60 psi in the air bags on the way back. my combo: V & C ats springs,hellwig front and rear sway bars, rancho 9000's, 275/65.20 LRE tires 65psi front, 80 psi rear, air lift 5000 ultimate air bags, superhitch 20k hitch, equalizer 1400lb wd/ sway control hitch (from craigslist) the 6.0 pulled great,
With that much weight & length, I might have gone with a Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch (even with the X) just for the extra measure of safety, but it sounds like you had it in high potential sway conditions without problem (especially if you were having 20-25mph cross wind gusts).

Old 01-12-2019, 10:55 PM
rdinmv
Senior User
rdinmv is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have towed it with an 06 2500 duramax and 09 f350 cc v10 and never used or needed a sway control, after buying the 05 ex I read about "white knuckle experiences towing with an EX" Even with a regular WD hitch in the past I never experienced sway maybe because of the triple axles, I have been on the fwy with trailer in front of me swaying in high winds and never experienced it ever. I was looking at the arrow and propride but found this equalizer for 200 bucks on craigs and now I know I don't need any more than that. Even though I am towing over the max that the ex was designed for it tows perfectly stable, with the upgrades I have a 1 ton excursion, I actually lost my trailer barakes on at least 1/2 the trip up and back ( it happend before) But it towed better than my 09 f 350 ever did. Power wise? the 3v v10 is a monster (with 5 star tuning) the 6.0 didn't pull a whole lot better in stock tune but did it at 2500 rpm vs 4500 rpm and used much less fuel. 9.5 mpg vs 6.0 mpg the v10 had same size tires with 4.10 gears vs 3.73 with the ex diesel. the 6.0 would pull 55 mph at 3/4 throttle where the v10 could go 40-45 up huge grades at full throttle (same drive) going back to desert in FEB I am going to try the 8k gearhead tune vs stock unlimited tow and see what it does, my ex is studded. I ran the tune before the major grades and put it back to ünlimited tow" since my egt's were good I'll try it with the tune. Funny thing with the F/R sway bars, v/c code springs, rancho 9000 shocks full on front and 1/2 full rear, front and rear hellwig sway bars and air lift 5000 ultimate bags aat 6 psi it rides soooooooo smooth and around corners feels like a sports car, it feels as neutral as a corvette , I can roll into 180 degree freeway on ramps at like 50 mph with no under or over steer and perfecly flat, like my Mustang but 8000lbs.Its amazing and it really made itself eveident with the Helwig front bar.. Like I said before if you have the hellwig rear bar, get the front one too. Seriously my EX is like driving a 8000lb sports car now., if I go into a corner and break the tires loose it doesn't slide it just goes where you point the wheel. I run the gearhead srl+ tune when not towing, it may get me in trouble sooner or later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.