Proper Break in for 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Proper Break in for 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Break in for 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel

Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 PM
mjstein0753
Freshman User
mjstein0753 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Proper Break in for 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel

What is the proper break in for my 2019 Ford F-350 6.7 PSD? My dealer has no Idea. His statement to me was "we do not work on Diesels, Use your own Judgement" I have never owned a 6.7 PSD and I do not want to mess it up. Help, Please!

Old 01-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Drive it normal and don't tow for the first 1,000 miles. That's it, nothing special and super easy. Enjoy the new truck!

FYI your dealer probably didn't go over proper maintenance with you. It would be helpful to go through the owner's manual as well as the diesel supplement to make sure you are aware of correct maintenance schedules and whatnot. Most of the maintenance stuff the truck will tell you when it's time, such as filling DEF, oil changes, fuel filter changes, and coolant system checkups. Follow the recommended schedules and recommended fluids, use Motorcraft filters, and you'll be good to go.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:46 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Also, many say do not use the cruise control the first 500 miles. To avoid steady static rpm/speed during this period so the rings can seat properly.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:57 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Ford says 1000 miles before towing or hauling. That’s in the manual. Nothing I’ve seen in writing about limitimg cruise control use in this or any vehicle.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:28 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ssunit1 View Post
Ford says 1000 miles before towing or hauling. That’s in the manual. Nothing I’ve seen in writing about limitimg cruise control use in this or any vehicle.
Larry is correct.

I was unaware of this when I purchased my truck. I towed my 7k landscape trailer the day after purchase with 50 miles on the clock. I did go for a 200 mile joy ride after the first 200 miles of towing once I read the manual.

Page 3 of the Diesel Supplement Manual.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:37 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ssunit1 View Post
You need to go read your owner's manual a little closer. This is from the 2019 owner's manual on page 298.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_10_2018.pdf

Old 01-09-2019, 11:16 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
LOL! Two different posts, two different break-in numbers. Nice job Ford. Way to be consistent.

For what it's worth, I used the 1,000 mile break-in number. Sort of. I pulled a really light trailer in town with about 500 miles on the odometer.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:59 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
I don't need (read) no stinkin manual.
And to this day I have buttons that I have no idea what they operate. Maybe one day I'll look them up.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:21 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
LOL! Two different posts, two different break-in numbers. Nice job Ford. Way to be consistent.

For what it's worth, I used the 1,000 mile break-in number. Sort of. I pulled a really light trailer in town with about 500 miles on the odometer.
The post by dirthawg was for the 2015-2016 trucks. The post i made was for the 2019 trucks. They are not that much different and Ford appears to have updated their thoughts on break-in the 6.7 to prevent problems. A lot can change in 3 to 4 model years. But over all, the number for the break-in is basically 1000 miles of non-steady driving.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:58 AM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
LOL.......Ford advertising........”WE OWN WORK”
Ford owners manual.........better take it easy on it or it might break!!!!!!!!!!!
Just FYI; when I bought my ‘16 I drove it 350 miles to where my loaded trailer was sitting (18000 lb), hooked up and promptly pulled it 1800 miles in two days! No issues ever. I recently traded trucks just because I wanted a change! Never had a drivetrain issue.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:40 AM
jfritz_drfritz
Senior User
jfritz_drfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
You need to go read your owner's manual a little closer. This is from the 2019 owner's manual on page 298.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_10_2018.pdf

I suspect the reference in the thick manual (pg 298) is directed towards the gas engine. For a diesel you should go with what is written in the supplement manual

Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM
lynnmor
Senior User
lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.
I've not seen a diesel supplement manual for several years, I believe Ford owners manuals now cover all engines.

We often hear, actually brags, from those that treat new vehicles harshly. Yes, most get away with that abuse. Vehicle engines and drive trains are comprised of steel, aluminum, plastic and other materials. They all benefit from treating them with care till parts mate, brands and fuel types are not part of the equation.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:32 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to behold
Years ago I drove semi trucks...we would pick up a brand new tractor from the dealer then drive it to our yard. We would hook it up to our tank trailers and load them to the max then take them out and see how they would pull the load. Never had any problems doing this with only few miles on these trucks.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jfritz_drfritz View Post

I suspect the reference in the thick manual (pg 298) is directed towards the gas engine. For a diesel you should go with what is written in the supplement manual
Starting in 2017, there is NOT a diesel supplemental owner's manual. It is all combined into one owner's manual.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Joe/GA
Senior User
Joe/GA has a good reputation on FTE.Joe/GA has a good reputation on FTE.Joe/GA has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 99150 View Post
LOL.......Ford advertising........”WE OWN WORK”
Ford owners manual.........better take it easy on it or it might break!!!!!!!!!!!
Just FYI; when I bought my ‘16 I drove it 350 miles to where my loaded trailer was sitting (18000 lb), hooked up and promptly pulled it 1800 miles in two days! No issues ever. I recently traded trucks just because I wanted a change! Never had a drivetrain issue.
Here's what your manual stated. No need to start brand wars just because you didn't follow the break-in procedure.

"ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS

A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.

•Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable.
•While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.

NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its
first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This
should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not
interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with
the engine oil indicator often during the break in period.
Add oil as required."

Regarding Towing, Page 541:

"Towing Requirements

To promote proper break-in of your new vehicle drivetrain
components the following guidelines are recommended:

• Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles
(805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle
or other parts could be damaged.
• Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer
is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do
not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine
and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier
loads."

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: