2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Optima Battery Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Davparks2
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Optima Battery Worth It

Going to need 2 new batteries. Realized one of my factory batteries is leaking and they are getting weaker after only 2 years. Dealer offered to replace them with factory 850CC batteries for 150 each plus install. I am hesitant do factory batteries again because they seemed to not hold up well so I was looking at Optima Yellow top 750CC batteries. After a coupon they are are 259.00 each I can do the install. The yellow tops are hybrid designed for deep cycle and normal starting. I do have a number of accessories on the truck a couple rigid 10" light bars and air bags and aux air compressor and I plan on adding more lights to the truck. A top of the line standard battery 850CC from auto parts is running about $165.00. Anyone have any experience with optima are they worth the extra $95 a piece. Both optima and Auto parts are 3 year free replacement. I live in a Houston and the heat here is hard on all batteries. Pretty much have to replace your battery after 3 to 4 years no matter what you go with. Am I really loosing anything by going with the 750CC vs 850CC. I think the factory battery is 750CC anyway. Just looking for opinions. Thanks

Old 01-09-2019, 02:55 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I am not a fan of optima. Had bad luck with a few of them. Only Odyssey for me now - downside, not inexpensive.

Make's me want to check if I could stuff in two commercial group 31's (https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/31...mmercial?pp=25) in the front of my diesel now - use those in my camping rigs, awesome batteries and 100Ah each and 1150 CCA

ODYSSEY Battery - Official Manufacturer's Site

Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
750 CCA is the minimum for our trucks. I don't know that is a good spend. How old are your original batteries because they do have a warranty and if they load test fail they should be getting a percentage replacement. the downside to the Motorcraft right now is when they shake they leak acid and you get corrosion everywhere. Charge them up and load test them, I bet they are not as bad as you think.

I am going to try and fit larger when I get around to replacement as well. A group 31 at 100 Ah would be better especially for your heat, and for my cold weather and starting. I wish I could find actual Odysey's around here.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Anything but made in Mexico Optimas, ten years ago they were cool but the quality doesn't justify the price. I prefer the NorthStar AGM, then there is Odyssey and even the Everstart Platinum AGM is a good performer.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:07 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
750 CCA is the minimum for our trucks. I don't know that is a good spend. How old are your original batteries because they do have a warranty and if they load test fail they should be getting a percentage replacement. the downside to the Motorcraft right now is when they shake they leak acid and you get corrosion everywhere. Charge them up and load test them, I bet they are not as bad as you think.

I am going to try and fit larger when I get around to replacement as well. A group 31 at 100 Ah would be better especially for your heat, and for my cold weather and starting. I wish I could find actual Odysey's around here.
They actually sell them on amazon and ship prime.

They are no fun to load in @ almost 80lbs each too - I just need to measure that they can fit first (13.00 x 6.80 x 9.41):
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Davparks2
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer

Truck is a hair over 2 Years old. I asked the dealer they said that they could not do anything for because i'm over my 3yr/36K warranty i'm at 40K miles already. The reason I am replacing is because one is leaking pretty badly and I could tell over the last few days before I took it to dealer for other issues I could hear the batteries struggling every so slightly when starting up. I was planning on just cleaning the corrosion any holding out for another year but the service manager said I should probably replace them because they where too weak to start the truck after only sitting for a couple of days at the dealer. I did put a meter on both batteries before I took it in and they both read 12.5 volts. Normally I would probably ride it out a little longer especially since I carry a jump box with me anyway but I have a baby due in the next month so I don't want to risk truck not starting when its time to go. Odyssey looks awesome but they are pricey.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:40 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Yeah, the batteries are covered by the 3 Yr / 36K mile warranty.

I’ve had very good results for many years using Interstate batteries for replacements. No matter which you decide to buy, make sure you check the date code on the battery(ies) to get fresh products.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 01-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Martin6
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Odyssey or NorthStar AGM would be my choices for battery replacement and I plan on going with the Northstar AGM since I'm already having battery issues after only 1 year of use.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:49 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
^^^^^ I have found Interstate batteries to be great performers at a good price.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
AGM is all I have used for 10 years or so. Just put one in my 16 Z06 last month. Trucks and where I go want the best battery period --- could care less about the cost.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:58 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
20 years ago I ran Optima and they worked great.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I think there are only about 4 battery manufacturers for US sold batteries. All the quality batteries, IMO, from Odyssey, Northstar, Interstate, Duralast, etc and all going to be about the same in quality, construction, etc. Many quality batteries are rebrands of the same battery. Costco/Kirkland batteries along with Varta and Optima are made by Johnson Controls.

If you want to stay with Optima I would go with Red Top...800 CCA. That gets you closer to OEM at 850. Odyssey is at 950 CCA. Duralast Gold is 850 CCA.

Personally I would not go with a AGM. Typically CCA's are lower on those and they also typically have lower reserve minutes.

Old school lead acid batteries are fantastic...my suggestion would be to look for a quality battery with the best warranty and/or the best service network.

Personally I have always had luck with AutoZone...batteries are quality and there are stores almost everywhere that will back their warranty.

Another suggestion would be to get something like a Ctek MSX 5.0 (I have the old MUS 4.3 and it works great) and hook your batteries up to that a couple times a year and do a recondition. You won't believe how much longer they will last.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:03 PM
saskowner
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I wonder what change Ford has made in their batteries. When I traded in my 2011 bought in July of 2010 for the 2017 it still had it's original batteries in it and my 2005 gave me a good 5 years of service before they needed replacement.
Gary

Old 01-09-2019, 04:08 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by saskowner
I wonder what change Ford has made in their batteries. When I traded in my 2011 bought in July of 2010 for the 2017 it still had it's original batteries in it and my 2005 gave me a good 5 years of service before they needed replacement.
Gary
Honestly I don't think they have made any change. There is a known issue with Super Duties where the battery is being squeezed by how tight the factory secured the battery (especially the drivers side) in its base. It has been known to be tightened so much that the battery cases have cracked causing battery leaks.

This could be the reason the OP is having trouble so early on especially with one leaking. My opinion is the dealership should, at a min, replace the leaking battery.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:14 PM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts
I've used Optima batteries and didn't see that I got any more service life (maybe a little less) than the best lead acid battery from Walmart. After having had a couple of Optima's, I never felt they were worth the price differential. Having said that, I err on the side of "big box" store batteries, because of the "universally" available warranty. If you should ever have a warranty issue, you need availability.

Quick Reply: Optima Battery Worth It