Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1023 vs Jelibuilt vs SDK tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:57 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 422 Likes on 287 Posts
1023 vs Jelibuilt vs SDK tunes?

Jelibuilt, 1023, and SDK are all somewhat new to the 7.3 tuning, I am wanting to try some different tunes. Who have y'all used and were you happy with them?

Old 01-09-2019, 10:38 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
I hear good things on all of them. I think there was a thread recently that had some personal experiences with many of them.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:20 AM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have both SDK and Jelibuilt. At the moment I'm running Jelibuilt. His tunes with my setup shift better and my EGT'S are much better in a hot street tune. Less smoke also.
You can't go wrong with any of the tuners you mention. When I first got into the 7.3 game someone said you will have 1k in tuning before you know it. There right but I'm only to the half way mark.

I would talk to all three and see which one sounds right for your setup.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:29 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
The shifting isn't that important since I shift my own gears. It seems like some of their tunes are the same only with different shift points like Jelibuilt has a drag, dyno, and sled pulling tune, but with a 6 speed I don't think there is much of a difference between the three. I'll I am looking for is a tow tune, a street tune and an all out tune.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:05 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Some of the differences that I know about is that some tuners turn off the map sensor. Others don't. But there is a difference between the two tuners I'm running other than the trans programs. I have spoke to all three in detail what I was looking for and it took several revisions to get it right. But I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:17 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Which ones turn off the map sensor? I don't have a boost fooler so that would be preferred.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:37 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
This was for my setup. Not sure if they do that all the time. Just an example I found. I would call them and ask the questions.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Currently running 1023 tunes. Work well for what I need.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:16 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by 00t444e
I don't have a boost fooler so that would be preferred.
Actually a boost fooler would help save your MAP if you are going that high. The silly things are only designed for -10psi to 30psi and members here mentioned theirs going bad after continously boosting above the low 30s

Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Thanks for the replys, I placed an order with 1023, for the Light tow, Street Shredder, and Cummins Killer. I report back when I try them out.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Actually a boost fooler would help save your MAP if you are going that high. The silly things are only designed for -10psi to 30psi and members here mentioned theirs going bad after continously boosting above the low 30s
Yeah, they dont like 45PSI.......

Was a fun month trying to figure out why my truck wouldn't accelerate on the highway,
RiffRaff OCR and be done, 5 minute install.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Jo7.3
Laughing Gas
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
Well I've run all three because like you, I was looking for more tunes to put on my hydra. That being said, here's my take on them:

1023 Diesel: Originally ordered the daily econ, medium tow, and street shredder back in late 2017. Started a thread about 1023 a while back that has a lot of good info on it. I do have a locally built trans, and the php canned tunes just weren't shifting to my liking. The torque converter wouldn't even lock up in 3rd which made acceleration quite sluggish until you got up to 2500rpms. Anywho, the shifting with the 1023 tunes were spot on from the get go. On each tune, it wouldn't go into overdrive until 48mph (daily econ and street shredder), and 52mph (medium tow tune) but once it did, it would hold overdrive all the way down to 40mph (depending on if I was towing or carrying a load) which is awesome. The shifting is one factor that helped make 1023 my favorite of the three. The pedal was a little touchy for my liking but I just dealt with it for a while. Power was good on all the tunes, and egts were very manageable.
Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, and I sent 1023 an email to try and fix the touchy throttle. A day later I got a call from dusty and talked with him for about 15 minutes to get some new revisions headed my way. He mentioned that he had made some updates and changes that made the tunes he was sending me better than the old ones. I received the new tunes in about a day and a half. Loaded them up and fired the truck up. Instantly I could tell the truck idled smoother and quieter than the old versions. Went for a drive and noticed the truck was quieter while accelerating and cruising. Shifting was also a tad smoother than the old versions. The throttle was still a bit touchy, so I sent an email asking for a slightly less sensitive throttle. Got the revision and the throttle is damn near perfect. Not too laggy, but not too touchy either.
Overall I am extremely happy with 1023, both the tunes and the customer service are top notch.

Jelibuilt: After doing some research and reading, I decided to give jelibuilt a try. I ordered the Daily Driver, Tow Performance, and Hot Street. Power was good on all of the tunes, but the shifting wasn't my favorite. I also had a problem where the torque converter wouldn't unlock all the way when I was coming to a stop which made the truck chatter/stutter when pulling up to a red light or stop sign. After a couple revisions, this issue was resolved. However, the shifts were still too harsh for my liking after quite a few revisions. For manual guys the shifting wouldn't be an issue (duh). The pedal was very linear and not touchy right off the bat which I liked. Egt's were very manageable, but smoke output was a little more than 1023.
Overall, I liked how quiet the Jelibuilt tunes were, and the power was good on each tune, as well as a very linear throttle that made power come on very smooth. But the shifts were just a bit too harsh for my liking. Customer service was excellent as well with Jelibuilt. Typically when I asked for a revision, I would get one from Brian either that same day, or the day after.

SDK Performance: When I first looked at SDK, all I wanted was the 80hp Daily tune. I didn't get an answer from Dan until a week or so later. He said he was in the process of moving shops so I told him no big deal. He was even nice enough to give me a two for one tune deal. So I ended up with the 80hp Daily and 45hp tow. Loaded the tunes on the truck and fired it up. Went for a drive and was less than impressed to say the least. I'm not trying to bash SDK, just giving an honest review of how the tunes were. Throttle wasn't overly sensitive, but you could start accelerating from a red light and the truck would sound normal, then once you got to a certain point in the pedal, you could hear the injectors firing...LOUDLY. So even though the throttle wasn't overly sensitive, the power delivery wasn't smooth. Smoke output was minimal though which was good. As for the shifting, it wasn't quite as good. While accelerating, it wasn't too harsh. Except for when the torque converter locked up in 3rd gear, it was a pretty rough jolt. Also, when coming to a stop, the truck would jolt enough to throw me forward in the seat when it came out of overdrive. It could also never find a normal idle when coming to a stop. It would also do the chattering/stuttering that makes me think the torque converter wasn't unlocking all the way. Egt's weren't bad, just a tad higher than Jelibuilt and 1023, but still very manageable. So later that day, I sent Dan an email telling him about the harsh shifting and and the chattering/stuttering. That was back in November 2018, and I still haven't heard from him. However, I didn't email him again as I really just wasn't happy with how the truck ran with his tunes. A day later, I removed his tunes from the hydra.

If you couldn't tell, my favorite of the three by far is 1023 Diesel. Second place is Jelibuilt. Third place is SDK. I know this is a lot of info, but I tried to be as descriptive as I could about what I liked about each tune, what I disliked, and how good customer service was for each. Hope this helps

Old 01-11-2019, 07:03 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
I got the 1023 tunes loaded, and so far I am not very impressed. It takes a lot more throttle input than what I am used to and it feels sluggish down low, I have to give it a lot more throttle than before to keep it from stalling. The Cummins killer tune is OK but doesn't feel as powerful as my Tony Wildman Extreme tune does. I have sent in to get my tunes revised so we'll see how that goes. One good thing I have to say about them is I had my tunes in less than 24 hours after ordering.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,440 Likes on 2,840 Posts
Originally Posted by 00t444e
I got the 1023 tunes loaded, and so far I am not very impressed. It takes a lot more throttle input than what I am used to and it feels sluggish down low, I have to give it a lot more throttle than before to keep it from stalling.
I had exactly the opposite reactions/opinions about the tunes I received from 1023. So much so that I removed them the Hydra for a while until I asked for tunes that were identical in performance (was very happy there), but more delayed on the pedal pressure. Basically the power was coming on way too soon for my driving style. I received updated tunes and they are all I run now. PHP and Gear Head have been removed from the Hydra.

The 1023 tunes made the truck run so much better, even in 5th gear towing. The same locations on hills with Gear Head I would have to down shift to 4th gear. With the 1023 tunes (medium tow, not even light tow which I will try with the SXE turbo soon) I never had to down shift out of 5th in the exact same locations as I did with Gear Head.

I do know of at least one other person on here that is having a hard time with his 1023 tunes. I have not been very happy with the support he has received as of late, but haven't asked for an update in a week or so either.

I had briefly thought about getting some SDK or Jelibuilt tunes, but I just don't see how my truck could run any better than it does.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:50 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
I am used to driving vehicles that have a more touchy throttle, but even when letting the clutch out at idle it wants do stall, that hasn't been an issue with my other tunes, even when I had stock injectors.

Quick Reply: 1023 vs Jelibuilt vs SDK tunes?