Van wont fill up! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Van wont fill up!

Old 01-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Justdandee
New User
Justdandee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Van wont fill up!

First time poster but I have a 64 Econoline that I drug home out of the pasture it sat in for 26 years. It now runs and drives still working through some bugs but the one that has got me at the moment is getting fuel into it...odd I know but let me explain. I ran out gas again yesterday (gauge is not working) easily pour in two gallons of fuel from a fuel can drive to the gas station and I can get a 1/4 of gallon in without the pump clicking off- I tried to every technique I know to get that thing to fill but it starts coming out the filler pipe. I was suspecting maybe the issue lies with the tank filler being at the bottom of the tank.. Anyway seeing if anyone has experienced that frustration. Info I can offer- I have dropped and cleaned the tank and has a new hose from the filler pipe to the tank. The tank is not perfect near the filler opening -filler opening not completely round dented for some reason but certainly not restricted. It is the mostly likely suspect but again not that restrictive because I got the hose on with a good seal however this tank fills from the bottom which seems odd to beginm with. Thoughts/experiences on that matter?

Thx

Old 01-08-2019, 10:02 PM
bmuhlbach
Posting Guru
bmuhlbach has a good reputation on FTE.bmuhlbach has a good reputation on FTE.
maybe the vent tube is clogged its on top of tank

Old 01-09-2019, 06:47 PM
Justdandee
New User
I liked the idea. Liked it so much I ran out this afternoon and scoped out the situation. Hose on top was new from when I dropped the tank but joined to older piece that routes up into the body and back down.- so I undid the joint blew compressed air in both directions- Blowing through the vent tube was clear and blowing towards the tank actually pushed fuel out the filler hose. So it looks good that I got air going both ways, off to the gas station same problem- took clicking the handle forever to squeeze another gallon into the tank. I can watch the fuel slowly drain down the tank filler pipe into the tank. Since this is a 64' did they come up with a revised better designed filler tube- maybe one that the vent tube returns to the filler tube.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:32 PM
pbsdaddy
Postmaster
pbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud of
Being able to force compressed air through a rubber line, does not always mean the line is good. I recently learned, for myself, such things can be deceiving. The old rubber hoses have a habit of collapsing over the years. From the outside, they may look ok. If you force air through them, they air expands the side walls and passes right through. But, vented air, with no pressure behind it. cannot force it's way through the tube. Thus resulting in all that air, in the tank, forcing fuel out the easiest route possible.If you have an older line, spend a few dollars and replace it.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:50 AM
Justdandee
New User
I seem to have some problems with interfacing with this forum. Some of my posts don’t show up...

but out I think I got it fixed! Lowered the tank as much as one can with gas in it and worked the vent hose free. It was for sure kinked/pinched between the tank and cast iron counter balance weight. Still need to run down to the gas station but feeling optimistic.

anyone pulled that counter weight out? Opinions on the ride/ handling difference? I have a spare tir3 hanging of the rear door so i have other ballast weight considerations

Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 PM
EmilBarnabas
Senior User
EmilBarnabas is starting off with a positive reputation.
I pulled out my ballast and added a heavy steel angle bumper that weighed about 100 pounds. The ballast weighs about 150 pounds and keeps the rear end of an empty van on the ground during heavy breaking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.